Guidance when putting PAL 6035 on tbird...

Harrisment

Aug 29, 2000
Ok, I'm a little nervous after all of the stories of cracked cpu's. I want to make sure I don't screw anything up..I'll be putting this on an MSI K7T Pro. Any special advice i need?

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
If you 6035 was made before August 200 the clip will not provide enough pressure on the BIRD. Also since the clip just slides between the fins it can be installed backwards, look carefully. When backwards its pretty obvious that the clip is pressing off center.

Gringo

Aug 29, 2000
I dont know the layout of your ZIF socket, but on my KT7, I actually had the HS turned 180 degrees from where it should have been. youll note on the CPU contact surface of the PAL that there are 2 sides that are...whats the word...scooped out? milled down. This lets the HS clear the one raised portion of my ZIF socket...it was resting on it, not even touching 2 of the pads on the CPU. Didnt crack the core or anything, its running just fine now. I made sure a few beers were applied to keep the hands calm before removal and re-instalation....

[Edit] Oh yeah, dont worry too much about cracking the core, just dont rock the HS; keeping even pressure applied downward while attaching the spring-clip helped a lot. Doing this outside of the case helps a lot.