Guess who gets to Drill for oil in the Golan Heights?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
https://www.businessinsider.com/israel-grants-golan-heights-oil-license-2013-2

Israel has granted a U.S. company the first license to explore for oil and gas in the occupied Golan Heights, John Reed of the Financial Times reports.

A local subsidiary of the New York-listed company Genie Energy — which is advised by former vice president Dick Cheney and whose shareholders include Jacob Rothschild and Rupert Murdoch — will now have exclusive rights to a 153-square mile radius in the southern part of the Golan Heights.

An Oil company that is advised by war criminal Dick Cheney....

Both Trump and Netanyahu are scum. Both are (I will stand by this) racists.

So yeah thanks for that people who voted for Trump.

_________

Nov 25, 2013
And Genie has been in the area for a few years apparently. Seems at least since 2008.

From November of 2015, The Economist

https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2015/11/07/black-gold-under-the-golan

I found this interesting

"An influential group is now lobbying Israel’s government to take advantage of the chaos in Syria and demand international recognition of its control of 1,200 square kilometres (460 square miles) on the Golan. The group includes Zvi Hauser, a former cabinet secretary to the prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, who has urged that Israel should demand this as a compensation for having to tolerate the nuclear agreement with Iran.

It is not clear whether Genie shares this objective, but if it chose to, it would be no surprise. Genie’s founder and CEO is Howard Jonas, an influential American-Jewish businessman. The president of Genie’s Israeli subsidiary is Effie Eitam, a Golan settler and a former general who is close to the prime minister. And in America Genie has increased its clout. In September it added some influential new members to an advisory board that already included a former vice-president, Dick Cheney, and a media tycoon, Rupert Murdoch. One was Larry Summers, who was treasury secretary in the Clinton administration and director of the National Economic Council under Barack Obama. Also added were two other Clinton-era appointees: Bill Richardson, an ex-ambassador to the United Nations and energy secretary, and James Woolsey, a former CIA director."

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Eisenhower warned us about the military-industrial complex, which was largely ignored, allowing it to morph into the military-industrial-political complex of today. A large part of the hate we get from overseas is because of the history of our government's belief that what's good for business is good for America and ignoring the consequences of the decisions that are made to benefit big business.

They get the $$$$ and we get to deal with the fallout.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Golan Heights. I would be more concerned if this a modern land grab, but Israel has owned this land for decades already.

Moreover, it is being taken from Syria. And lets face it, after the widespread war and violence in Syria, their government is lucky that anyone can still count them on the map, at all. There are inevitably consequences for the ravages of that war. Such as Turkey claiming parts of its northern territory. The United States claiming the entire eastern half for its "allies". And Israel formally securing the strategic high ground it so desperately needs.

Frankly, this isn't Gaza or the West Bank. I am not aware of any dead or dying people in the Golan Heights. I do not see the humanitarian reason to not simply default to whoever possesses this piece of land.

Reactions: woolfe9998
Nov 25, 2013
Golan Heights. I would be more concerned if this a modern land grab, but Israel has owned this land for decades already.

Moreover, it is being taken from Syria. And lets face it, after the widespread war and violence in Syria, their government is lucky that anyone can still count them on the map, at all. There are inevitably consequences for the ravages of that war. Such as Turkey claiming parts of its northern territory. The United States claiming the entire eastern half for its "allies". And Israel formally securing the strategic high ground it so desperately needs.

Frankly, this isn't Gaza or the West Bank. I am not aware of any dead or dying people in the Golan Heights. I do not see the humanitarian reason to not simply default to whoever possesses this piece of land.

How nice of you to give away a chunk of some else's country.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
How nice of you to give away a chunk of some else's country.

Give away what? As the saying goes, possession is nine tenths of the law. You'd have to kill people and/or cause great deal of human suffering to forcibly change the possession of the Golan Heights. There can be reasonable reasons for upending it and risking people's lives. No one has demonstrated any such cause for the Golan Heights, in stark contrast to the actual humanitarian crisis that is Palestine. Maybe you could get your priorities straight.

Syria is in pieces today, Golan is the least of their problems. Maybe a day will come where there is a peaceful and Democratic Syria that can be negotiated with in good faith. Meaning, the long term resolution for Golan is not within our lifetimes.

Reactions: KMFJD

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Of course Bibi did, he's trying to win a re-election and will resort to the same kind of pandering and corruption Trump does to do it. It's like they've both used Nixon as a template. And of course Trump will help campaign for one of the few leaders who wants anything to do with him. He's all out of luck with using NK for foreign policy window dressing, time to move on to something more applicaple to his own prospects in the near future. Keeping evangelicals happy with dogma directed initiative is what keeps Trump alive politically speaking.

Doesn't seem like many in Israel are fooled by it this, they know what this is, even a lot of Likud types, they just don't care. I hope they are able to get that corrupt SOB out of office. I wonder what Shin Bet thinks of Putin's Asset coming over there and helping to influence elections 2 weeks out with a bombshell?

Go Gantz!

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Eisenhower warned us about the military-industrial complex, which was largely ignored, allowing it to morph into the military-industrial-political complex of today. A large part of the hate we get from overseas is because of the history of our government's belief that what's good for business is good for America and ignoring the consequences of the decisions that are made to benefit big business.

They get the $$$$ and we get to deal with the fallout.
Start by boycotting your automakers that push gas guzzling Large SUV's and pickup trucks and start buying fuel efficient cars or better yet electric, tell your 401k investment managers to divest as much as possible from fossil fuels, start demanding products and services that are created using environmentally friendly methods regardless of where they are sourced, refuse to buy products from those that pollute here or abroad, show the oil and gas industry, the cause of most of the problems in the middle east, that Americans are willing to make the necessary sacrifices instead of virtue signaling on some internet forum.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Thebobo
Nov 25, 2013
Give away what? As the saying goes, possession is nine tenths of the law. You'd have to kill people and/or cause great deal of human suffering to forcibly change the possession of the Golan Heights. There can be reasonable reasons for upending it and risking people's lives. No one has demonstrated any such cause for the Golan Heights, in stark contrast to the actual humanitarian crisis that is Palestine. Maybe you could get your priorities straight.

Syria is in pieces today, Golan is the least of their problems. Maybe a day will come where there is a peaceful and Democratic Syria that can be negotiated with in good faith. Meaning, the long term resolution for Golan is not within our lifetimes.

As I said, nice of you to give away a piece of someone else's country.

Reactions: Meghan54

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Start by boycotting your automakers that push gas guzzling Large SUV's and pickup trucks and start buying fuel efficient cars or better yet electric, tell your 401k investment managers to divest as much as possible from fossil fuels, start demanding products and services that are created using environmentally friendly methods regardless of where they are sourced, refuse to buy products from those that pollute here or abroad, show the oil and gas industry, the cause of most of the problems in the middle east, that Americans are willing to make the necessary sacrifices instead of virtue signaling on some internet forum.

Another reason I hate down votes is when someone objects to reasonable suggestions such as those, they basically just give you the finger without a reason. Should as it was in the old days....

Git off my lawn /shakes fist

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

All of your suggestions are fairly unrealistic if the intent is for one person to make a dent. I will stick to pushing my politicians to make the changes we need and doing what I can in my life to minimize my contributions to pollution.

I know you want to blame the public for the actions of the oil industry, but you're way off target.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
All of your suggestions are fairly unrealistic if the intent is for one person to make a dent. I will stick to pushing my politicians to make the changes we need and doing what I can in my life to minimize my contributions to pollution.

I know you want to blame the public for the actions of the oil industry, but you're way off target.

Industry wide change being the need has been explained to them many times. Good luck.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

United Nations Security Council resolution 497....
Having considered the letter of 14 December 1981 from the Permanent Representative of the Syrian Arab Republic
contained in document S/14791,
Reaffirming that the acquisition of territory by force is inadmissible, in accordance with the Charter of the
United Nations, the principles of international law and relevant Security Council resolutions
1. Decides that the Israeli decision to impose its laws, jurisdiction and administration in the occupied Syrian
Golan Heights is null and void and without international legal effect;
2. Demands that Israel, the occupying Power, should rescind forthwith its decision....

Adopted unanimously by all UN Security Council members including the U.S.
http://unscr.com/en/resolutions/497

All U.S. presidents since 1967 affirmed their stance on this.... except Trump.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
On the other side of that scale I dont think there is help to be had for what you got.

Oh he's the conservative type that pretty much ignores anything his party does and pretends like everyone is out to get them. So a republican.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Follow the money, gents. The Syrian Civil War may have started out as civil unrest, but it has been fueled by oil since then. ALL of this has been about limiting Iranian influence in the region, as it needs a stable Syria to cheaply export its oil westward. This move weakens Syria, and indirectly, Iran, so it's probably quietly supported by the Turkey/Saudi/Qatari collective.

Reactions: ivwshane

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
United Nations Security Council resolution 497....
Adopted unanimously by all UN Security Council members including the U.S.
http://unscr.com/en/resolutions/497

All U.S. presidents since 1967 affirmed their stance on this.... except Trump.

So you are saying the act of recognizing the many decades old change of territory is a violation of international law.

Does that law have value, does it have a practical application in let us say... returning Crimea to Ukraine? Or the eastern most regions of Ukraine back from Russia? Or parts of Georgia back from Russia? Does it stop China from claiming islands 600+ miles away from its mainland, thereby controlling 90% of the South China Sea, violating the concept of international waters and free passage therein?

Does that law stop the Turkish occupation of northern Syria? Or the United States and its Allies from running wild in eastern Syria?

Was that international law ever respected by the United States, in terms of disavowing and sanctioning Israel with attempts to FORCE them to return the Golan Heights? Does it make any sense for Israel to give up the high ground from whence an effective shelling bombardment last occurred, from where Syria, Iran, and their allies would have an effective advantage in bombing Israel?

You post in an effort to appeal to international law to us, but that sort of law has clearly NOT been respected throughout the world. Russia and China both violate it. The United States has never been serious in its enforcement. And for Israel, abandoning control of Golan in this particular case would be tantamount to suicide. Rockets, IEDs, and other destructive devices rain down upon Israel to this day even without the high ground advantage in propelling and aiming such things.

Plus, as I said earlier, there is no humanitarian crisis for the return of Golan to Syria. If anything, Syrians have been fleeing to the sanctuary provided from the war and violence in Syria. A return of land would see that respite ended and those people thrust back into the meat grinder. Granted, many of them would probably vote for it - but there was a small uptick in the people of Golan adopting Israel in an effort to avoid that violence. Perhaps more efforts could be taken to ensure their peace and prosperity. Which is the furthest thing from giving them to Assad and other terrorist factions.

While I want to recognize a people's sovereignty and self determination, that region is a war zone and considerations must be made for how to best deal with and avoid military escalation and conflict. Unfortunately, Golan is at the center of that given the military history of its use. I will say, however, that if the status quo is what best avoids violence and keeps the people of Golan from being violated, then I would most certainly oppose changing that.

While I question the value of your exact appeal, it has given me time to consider the people of Golan and then reject Trump's action(s) here.
Thank you for that.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
So you are saying the act of recognizing the many decades old change of territory is a violation of international law.

Does that law have value, does it have a practical application in let us say... returning Crimea to Ukraine? Or the eastern most regions of Ukraine back from Russia? Or parts of Georgia back from Russia? Does it stop China from claiming islands 600+ miles away from its mainland, thereby controlling 90% of the South China Sea, violating the concept of international waters and free passage therein?

Does that law stop the Turkish occupation of northern Syria? Or the United States and its Allies from running wild in eastern Syria?

Was that international law ever respected by the United States, in terms of disavowing and sanctioning Israel with attempts to FORCE them to return the Golan Heights? Does it make any sense for Israel to give up the high ground from whence an effective shelling bombardment last occurred, from where Syria, Iran, and their allies would have an effective advantage in bombing Israel?

You post in an effort to appeal to international law to us, but that sort of law has clearly NOT been respected throughout the world. Russia and China both violate it. The United States has never been serious in its enforcement. And for Israel, abandoning control of Golan in this particular case would be tantamount to suicide. Rockets, IEDs, and other destructive devices rain down upon Israel to this day even without the high ground advantage in propelling and aiming such things.

Plus, as I said earlier, there is no humanitarian crisis for the return of Golan to Syria. If anything, Syrians have been fleeing to the sanctuary provided from the war and violence in Syria. A return of land would see that respite ended and those people thrust back into the meat grinder. Granted, many of them would probably vote for it - but there was a small uptick in the people of Golan adopting Israel in an effort to avoid that violence. Perhaps more efforts could be taken to ensure their peace and prosperity. Which is the furthest thing from giving them to Assad and other terrorist factions.

While I want to recognize a people's sovereignty and self determination, that region is a war zone and considerations must be made for how to best deal with and avoid military escalation and conflict. Unfortunately, Golan is at the center of that given the military history of its use. I will say, however, that if the status quo is what best avoids violence and keeps the people of Golan from being violated, then I would most certainly oppose changing that.

While I question the value of your exact appeal, it has given me time to consider the people of Golan and then reject Trump's action(s) here.
Thank you for that.
Your argument is then that international law is meaningless and basically a return to the law of the jungle is only what counts? Remember that Syria was a fully functional state for decades before its breakdown just a few years ago. The ONLY reason that Israel held the Golan for so long is due to the power of the Israel lobby preventing the U.S. from pressuring it to hand over the occupied areas. It is NOT due to security. Any peace agreement between Syria and Israel could easily have entailed a demilitarized Golan with UN peacekeepers stationed there to prevent any security breach of the area and Syria would have agreed (or forced to agree from pressure of its allies).

The real reason that Israel is holding on to the Golan is due to its rich resources (oil mentioned in OP), it also provides 15% of Israels fresh water supply. The humanitarian aspects of the people living there are not an issue. The stealing of the Golan is purely a case of "might = right" and that anyone can invade anywhere without repercussions provided it is powerful enough and can withstand opposing international consenus or pressure and laws be damned. The entire world does not support this move, ONLY the U.S. and Israel do. The people of the U.S. are basically kept in the dark as to what is going on and fed tidbits of misinformation like its a strategic area vital for Israels security. Its a farce really and a middle finger up to the rest of the world.

Reactions: ivwshane