GTX770 freezing up issues

Richo80

Jan 26, 2014
I'm having a problem with my GTX770 graphics card while playing Battlefield 4. The game freezes while playing for a second or two. It usually takes about 10 minutes of playing before this problem occurs. While playing I have been monitoring MSI afterburner. I have noticed that power % and GPU usage % will drop when the game freezes, but core clock, memory usage and fan speed all stay the same. I have re-installed the graphic drivers and still no change. I'm just wounding if I have hit the limit of my power supply. I've got a Thermaltake litepower 700w. Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated it's driving me nuts.

Thanks

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
My money is on the system memory....not the graphics...check the RAM timings and perhaps loosen the timings

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Some motherboards have issues reading the timings of the system memory (RAM), and dont set them correctly. You have to enter the BIOS to change these settings, however if you dont understand this, it might pay to get a friend to help you!

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
I have noticed that power % and GPU usage % will drop when the game freezes, but core clock, memory usage and fan speed all stay the same.

This looks like something is overheating check your temps

Edit: On second look the core clock not dropping seems strange. I would still look at the temps but I'm not sure that is the problem

Last edited:

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
What you're looking for is something called CAS latency.

You'll have to refer to the manufacturer or often Newegg will list the timings of your particular brand of Ram. Then you'll want to make sure the bios matches the memory manufacturers specs for timing.

Your motherboard manual may have a guide for managing these settings.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Is it a hard freeze aka system lock up requiring a hard reset? If it is, overheating can cause that. If it locks up but you can still close the game, then it might be memory related or perhaps the driver.

Kromatic

Aug 7, 2013
Actually it might just be Battlefield 4 causing these issues. The game is filled with so many bugs right now. You're not the only one having bizzare issues and crashes.

Your PSU is more than capable so that's not the issue. I suggest you test your GPU on other games to see if this keeps happening.