GTX570 vs HD6970

jasonb55

Aug 11, 2006
I'm helping a buddy upgrade his computer and I'm torn between these two cards. The Anandtech review for the 6970 shows that they are both pretty close in performance which makes me lean towards the 570 because of the better price. Is this right or am I missing something? I've always ended up with AMD/ATI so nVidia is a weak point for me...

GTX 570

HD 6970

Thanks

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I hope your buddy has a very good system with a higher end cpu and a very good psu. how about actually listing ALL the specs of this pc including resolution as already mentioned?

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Lower rez ( 1920x1200 and under ) GTX570 is faster
Higher rez ( 2560x1400 and over ) HD 6970 is faster.

Both cards are very close you cant go wrong with either one

The HD 6970 uses less power but gets hot ( in use )
The GTX570 use more power but stays warm ( in use )

In real world use you wont see much difference between the two so it all comes down to what brand, price and if they have the card you pick in stock.

If your friend has a slow CPU he would get the SAME FPS from a HD6870 as a HD6970 but it would cost half the price.

Last edited:

endlessmike133

Jan 2, 2011
Good rule of thumb is to always go for the nVidia card when both cards show similar performance and price..

jasonb55

Aug 11, 2006
His monitor is 1920x1080. Currently he has a HP computer with a core2quad Q6700(I think) and 6gigs of ram.
I have him upgrading to a Antec truepower 650w PSU, and one of these cards. In the summer/fall, he will be upgrading his case, processor, motherboard and ram. I realize the card may be overpowered now but he will be bringing it over with him to the new system.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
In the summer/fall, he will be upgrading his case, processor,

In that case go for the gtx570 @ 1080p, simple, it is cheaper.
Teach him how to overclock his quad also ( it is possible) , at least for now.

Last edited:

endlessmike133

Jan 2, 2011
His monitor is 1920x1080. Currently he has a HP computer with a core2quad Q6700(I think) and 6gigs of ram.
I have him upgrading to a Antec truepower 650w PSU, and one of these cards. In the summer/fall, he will be upgrading his case, processor, motherboard and ram. I realize the card may be overpowered now but he will be bringing it over with him to the new system.
I'm pretty certain the card won't be bottlenecked a Core 2 Quad...

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yeah I just saw your other thread about wanting to upgrade stuff on that HP piece by piece. you said in that thread he has 800 to spend which is silly for upgrading an HP comp. he would do much better to sell that pc for 200-250 bucks and add that to the 800 thus giving him the budget for a real pc. a 570 or 6970 is not a very good choice for an old Q6700 at stock speeds.

load81

Jan 21, 2011

At 1080p get the 570 no doubt. Its a little faster at 1080, has more features, and is cheaper.

jasonb55

Aug 11, 2006

If he was to upgrade everything, what would you recommend he get to go with the GTX570?

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Nope.

AMD drivers are still having problems, not as much as they used to of course but still a good enough reason to look in nVidia's direction!

Just cause you say it doesn't mean it's true, I have used both nVidia and AMD cards for years without issues. Recently I went from a GTX 460 to a AMD 6950 and I have had 0 issues with both cards.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Nope.

AMD drivers are still having problems, not as much as they used to of course but still a good enough reason to look in nVidia's direction!

This is complete and total fud. Show me anything that would support, on the whole, that AMD's drivers are not as good as Nvidia's. Or are you just going to tell us about an experience you had with an AMD card that went poorly? Complete and total fud...

OP, have you considered a 6950 and unlocking it? You'd get 6970 performance for a proably near $100 less. If you are dead set on one of the two cards above (don't want to consider the 6950) I would go with whatever is cheaper.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Nope.

Not 100% true. its not that Nvidia's drivers are much better but there game support is excellent compared to AMD.

Both companies have there problems with scaling, blue screens and general "driver stopped working" errors, but with games out of the box, Nvidia and newer games will usually run better without 4 or 5 hot fixes.

Good example
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2147043

I think we can all agree on this.:thumbsup:

edit: unlocking a 6950 gives you a whole 2.7% more performance and is not worth the risk IMHO.

Last edited:

endlessmike133

Jan 2, 2011
Not 100% true. its not that Nvidia's drivers are much better but there game support is excellent compared to AMD.

Both companies have there problems with scaling, blue screens and general "driver stopped working" errors, but with games out of the box, Nvidia and newer games will usually run better without 4 or 5 hot fixes.

I'm not talking about general driver problems; I'm talking about stuff like mouse lag, drivers bricking your card, etc..problems like that are HIGHLY exclusive to AMD.

You guys misunderstand me however, I'm not saying if you buy an AMD card you're gonna get this problem. I'm saying these problems do exist and happen mostly because of AMD's drivers.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not talking about general driver problems; I'm talking about stuff like mouse lag, drivers bricking your card, etc..problems like that are HIGHLY exclusive to AMD.

You guys misunderstand me however, I'm not saying if you buy an AMD card you're gonna get this problem. I'm saying these problems do exist and happen mostly because of AMD's drivers.

The drivers that bricked cards where Nvidia, not AMD...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/7551

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Well, I had to get older driver this weekend for a mates card, the damn CCC wont hold the monitor setting and revert after a reboot. Older drivers sorted it out...AMD drivers IMO are a crap shoot, there is just too many of them. Do they have a list or something on their web-site about what fixes what etc, so you can pick the best ones?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Good example
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2147043

edit: unlocking a 6950 gives you a whole 2.7% more performance and is not worth the risk IMHO.

Hasn't been pretty well demonstrated that the risk with unlocking is related to the memory? So unlocking the card and then overclocking it should give you pretty much 6970 performance, no? Like I said, it's an option to consider, an option many people seem to have taken advantage of. If the OP doesn't want to consider a 6950, I would go with whichever is cheaper, in this case that's the GTX570.