GTX560 Ti x HD6950 + Folding (second take)

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
Hi,

I'm about to get one of those cards. As I think the AMD part is faster (and people say it may become a 6970), I know nvidia card is better (at least for now) on folding, so all info I can get on it would be good.

any info on new fah core for amd ?

well, if the difference on fah won't be so great, I really think the amd part will be a better choice.

thanks,

matheus

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
With the current cores, the Nvidia is much higher ppd. According to Vijay Pande the new ATI core is close to being released to the public, so that may change (although no ppd numbers are available yet).

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03/fah-support-for-ati-gpus.html

thanks,

I saw that but still in doubt. as the 6950 may become 6970, it turned out to be more of know how good will this new core be. Do you think anyone in here may have any clue ? that would be super !

thanks again,

matheus

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
With the current cores, the Nvidia is much higher ppd. According to Vijay Pande the new ATI core is close to being released to the public, so that may change (although no ppd numbers are available yet).

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03/fah-support-for-ati-gpus.html

I agree as I have had ATi and run F@H on them and they don't come close to what the output of what Nvidia can do. Now if you were saying from a 3850 to the 6950, yes a big differance. Ati has some great cards but lack the luster in the F@H sector. Now as for other Distributed apps using Boinc I havent a clue what Ati can do. Someone will chime in on that but As for now, Nvidia rules the roost when it comes to F@H.

Illyusha

Banned
Nov 20, 2010
I've never liked the catalyst suite, and I had the same choice and went with the Sparkle 560ti for $230.

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
anyone has anything on the new core ?

I haven't made my mind yet, but so far the 6950 is a bit higher for the 6970 mod.

Well, I have till April 7 to choose, so no hurry in now.

thanks,

matheus

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Now as for other Distributed apps using Boinc I havent a clue what Ati can do. Someone will chime in on that but As for now, Nvidia rules the roost when it comes to F@H.
ATI GPUs are good for crunching Milkyway@Home, SETI@Home Multibeam, SETI@Home Astropulse, Collatz Conjecture, and perhaps some other apps/projects that i don't yet know about (or haven't yet realized that they can utilize an ATI GPU).

ATI GPUs are far superior to nVidia GPUs in the Milkyway@Home realm, i.e. ATI GPUs crunch through MW@H tasks far quicker than nVidia GPUs do.

there are some SETI@Home apps that are optimized for ATI GPUs, specifically Multibeam v6.10 and Astropulse v5.06. Multibeam tasks run several times quicker on the average ATI GPU than they do on the average CPU, and Astropulse tasks have even higher efficiency when compared to their CPU counterparts, perhaps by an entire order of magnitude or more in some cases. i do not know how ATI GPUs compare to nVidia GPUs regarding SETI@Home. nor do i know if there are even S@H apps that are optimized for nVidia GPUs...if there are, i unfortunately know nothing about them.

also, i think the Collatz Conjecture project can also put ATI GPUs to work. a server-side issue with the MW@H project crept up the other night, causing validate errors (as opposed to client/host computation errors), and some folks are jumping over to the Collatz Conjecture project with their ATI GPUs until the MW@H validate errors get fixed.

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
As I see the ATi cards, and they have great power, that must be used somewhere :)

so far, is just to wait.

thanks,

matheus