GTX285 speeds are 648/1476/1242

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I have a general upgrade rule that I try to follow. I need 2X the performance before I upgrade. I am not entirely convinced that a stock GTX280 beats a stock 8800GTS 512MB. Anyway, I might go for the 55nm version depending on a few factors

1) Price
2) Overclocking Ability
3) How close GT300 is rumored for release - more reliable based rumors at that

This card, in my opinion will be a HUGE success if it launches at $349.99 MSRP, but if it launches at $399.99+ I don't think it will be a huge craze. Doesn't matter anyway, as it is the most powerful single GPU in existance, so I guess they can price it how they want. I just might not be a part of it... :D I can't wait to see what ATi also has on the horizon... Good times I think.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Nice lower power and heat thus noise is welcome but I see nothing on price. The 280 was about $100 too much.

Hopefully this card will be at $350 to accommodate proper price/performance levels and their cheaper manufacturing process (55nm)

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
Regardless of Ocguy31 being a moran or a moron, did I miss the launch date? The article says some time in Jan. Is this supposed to launch right after CES?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: nRollo

Given your (and many others) refusal to use multi GPU, and the fact that this will undoubtedly be the single GPU performance leader, I'd think this would meet with more favorable response from you n7.
If he's like me he's probably waiting for the 40 nm version as a true upgrade over his GTX280. I gave up waiting for the 55 nm version a long time ago, and I?m glad I did.

Like me, maybe he's happy with current cards given the state of PC gaming. Unless these cards can run crysis at very high with 60fps at 1920x1200 they aren't a big leap. Although I already finished Crysis anyway.

I guess my point is this...

Nvidia is doing what they did with the 8 series. Refresh after refresh and a whole slew of various cards and then you factor in factory overclocked cards that may be binned parts. That's tough on consumers, trying to wade through the numbers and pick a card. I don't expect miracles, but when did the GTX200 series release? It seems like plenty of time for more than a simple refresh, but I'm no engineer so what do I know right? Anyhow if they're priced right then hurray. If not, well maybe your GTX280 will be cheaper than it currently is?

There's people who wait, and wait, and then say "hey but in a few months they'll have the next refresh" and they'll wait some more. Those people will probably never buy anything. It's like my uncle and HDTVs. He didn't buy, saying they'll get cheaper and better yada yada yada. Never bought one, when he did he realized what he was missing the whole time. I guess I'm one of those people who buy what you want when you can afford it. without worrying what's "only a few months away". You can always wait for the next big thing, but when I'm in the market I look at what nest benefits me at that moment in time.

This may however be a good step-up for some people depending on how far they clock and how much gain from those clock speeds there are.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I guess it hasn't been that long since the GTX 280 launched, but refreshes don't excite me much.

It took three cards to get a working one, but i will admit my GTX 280 is adequate for my needs for now.

Unless they price this incredibly well, it's not really of much interest to me.

I suppose it'll be of more interest to those who didn't already get their high end upgrade in the form of the GTX 280/HD 4870 1 GB.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: n7
I guess it hasn't been that long since the GTX 280 launched, but refreshes don't excite me much.

It took three cards to get a working one, but i will admit my GTX 280 is adequate for my needs for now.

Unless they price this incredibly well, it's not really of much interest to me.

I suppose it'll be of more interest to those who didn't already get their high end upgrade in the form of the GTX 280/HD 4870 1 GB.

Those people will say "hey lets wait for 40nm parts and DX11! why buy now? they're too expensive"

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Exactly - which is why I snagged a GTX260+ at a clearance price. :thumbsup:

Me too. :thumbsup: Then prices went even farther down, and I haven't even used my card yet. :(

Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
when did the GTX200 series release? It seems like plenty of time for more than a simple refresh

June? So, you think NVIDIA should make completely new architectures every 6 months?