GTX285 speeds are 648/1476/1242

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Cooler, consumes less power, faster. And without actually experiencing it, I would guess there is a fair amount of o/c headroom on 55nm. People were getting close to 700 on the 65nm GTX260's and 280's.

For one example fresh in my memory, masteryoda did 725 on his 260.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2257973&enterthread=y
Sixth post down.

Anything but "Bleh".

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Cooler, consumes less power, faster. And without actually experiencing it, I would guess there is a fair amount of o/c headroom on 55nm. People were getting close to 700 on the 65nm GTX260's and 280's.

Anything but "Bleh".

Agreed..

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
GTX285 can be regarded as GTX280 Overclocking Edition based on 55nm processing.

Bleh.

Hmmm.

Given your (and many others) refusal to use multi GPU, and the fact that this will undoubtedly be the single GPU performance leader, I'd think this would meet with more favorable response from you n7.

You'd be buying one if you didn't have a GTX280 already most likely.

I don't see anything negative here- very similar to the die shrink for the 9800GTX if true.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I'll be stepping up to a couple of these. Power consumption is amazing. I'm hoping we'll see good thermals, and shader oc potential to 1700. Yep, two of these will do.. :thumbsup:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
As long as they price it a bit more over the current GTX280 prices, it should be fine. Cooler and faster - no drawbacks. I don't think it will touch the HD4870x2 though. Ohh well, time will tell :)

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Qbah
As long as they price it a bit more over the current GTX280 prices, it should be fine. Cooler and faster - no drawbacks. I don't think it will touch the HD4870x2 though. Ohh well, time will tell :)

You just had to go there didn't you? ;)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: SteelSix
Originally posted by: Qbah

You just had to go there didn't you? ;)

There are other things for that. ;)

But that's for another thread. :evil:

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Nothing I couldn't already get from an OC edition GTX 280, infact less, the Zotac 280 runs at 700 core. I doubt if you are spending top dollar on these cards you are going to care about power consumption or heat dissipation (queue 'But...but its cooler...and thats better!'). This won't be challenging the 4870X2 but for those that are opposed to Multi-GPU, it may be something to consider. It comes down to price and how much more expensive this will be over a 4870 1gb. Time for the reviews.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Uh, those look to be stock clocks folks. So while the stock clocks aren't as high as I'd like, that certainly leaves more headroom for enthusiast overclocking and also for board partners to release their factory overclocked models. I guess common sense would dictate that if Zotac could release a 700MHz 65nm part, they would be able to manage the same or higher on a 55nm part that runs cooler and draws less power.

This will put more distance between the 1GB part and close the distance with the 4870X2. No need to compare this to it, GTX 295 is also coming to kick the 4870X2 to the curb. Great news for single-GPU users like myself, if it hits 800 core and 1700-1800 shader like SteelSix is hopin it should be a great upgrade until GT300. :)

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
It wasn't meant as anything catching, seriously! I'm a peaceful person :) This *will* be the best card to get if you want to avoid any multi-GPU issues from both sides, so just plug it in and play. Hell, if I'd need the punch, I'd probably get one :D As I'm not a big fan of CF/SLi. But since I'm a casual gamer now and my current setup will last me for a long time, I'm mostly looking forward to see how it pushes the single GPU bounds further for discussion reasons :)

Cheers.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nRollo

Bleh.

Hmmm.

Given your (and many others) refusal to use multi GPU, and the fact that this will undoubtedly be the single GPU performance leader, I'd think this would meet with more favorable response from you n7.

I don't see anything negative here- very similar to the die shrink for the 9800GTX if true.

how about double-blah?
:p

yes it is "nice"

and i *will* be getting one to pair with my current 280 .. which does OC ..
If you?re interested, you could try to overclock GTX280 to 648/1476/1242MHz (core/shader/memory) to experience amazing performance of GTX285 ahead of time.
.. don't you DARE tell me what i should feel

i feel UNDERwhelmed
rose.gif

but "nice"
- it should make some nice profits for Nvidia .. compared to now; and no doubt there will be further O/C'd versions of it
:)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Bleh.

Hmmm.

He was expecting higher clocks maybe?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
The set-up looks promising, but I'd like to see real reviews and overclocking try-outs before I say I'm definitely going to get one. If the new power and cooling improvements coupled with the tweaked shaders really open up the overclocking capabilities of the chip, I'll be sold :).

recoiledsnake

Nov 21, 2007
Anyone know if this will have audio support over HDMI like the other lower end HTPC card that Nvidia recently released?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: recoiledsnake
Anyone know if this will have audio support over HDMI like the other lower end HTPC card that Nvidia recently released?

I'm not sure what the low end implementation is, but the 9800GTX and GTX 200 series cards have a low-end s/pdif passthrough HDMI implementation.

Look near the power connectors

Basically it takes the audio from your spdif out from your sound card or mobo and passes it through the card to the DVI to HDMI adapter. Keep in mind, its limited to DD/DTS 5.1 and will not pass or decode any of the higher bitrate formats like TrueHD/DTS-MA or even 8ch LPCM. The ATI cards starting with the 4-series can do 8ch LPCM through an on-card codec chip, but I'm not sure where support stands. I read there were a few problems with it as recently as a few months ago.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
I think this will be my step up card as well . Wonder the price tag....

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's my next card, I will buy it in February or March, I'm still saving for it at the moment.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

If he's like me he's probably waiting for the 40 nm version as a true upgrade over his GTX280. I gave up waiting for the 55 nm version a long time ago, and I?m glad I did.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
How does the 9800GTX+ overclock vs. the standard 65nm 9800GTX?

This looks like a nice bump for the GTX280, slightly faster while using less power is always good. Nothing earth shattering here, but nothing to complain about either assuming it's priced right.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K

If he's like me he's probably waiting for the 40 nm version as a true upgrade over his GTX280. I gave up waiting for the 55 nm version a long time ago, and I?m glad I did.

I didn't say he should buy it, but I wouldn't expect a "meh" for the new single GPU champ, especially when it will likely be favorably priced.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I didn't say he should buy it, but I wouldn't expect a "meh" for the new single GPU champ, especially when it will likely be favorably priced.

i gave it a double-meh even though i expect to buy it
-i just expected MORE :p

Damn those expectations .. but it IS nice for longevity; i have had my 280 for a few months now .. and it doesn't look like it will be "slow", at least until Spring .. and by then i may taste 280-285 SLi
rose.gif

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999

Maybe... the 9800 GTX+ with a higher stock clock uses less power than a 9800 GTX. In fact the new PCB design only requires one 6 pin PCIe plug and is a shorter card.

Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Nothing I couldn't already get from an OC edition GTX 280, infact less, the Zotac 280 runs at 700 core.

Yes, but the Zotac core is crippled by low shader clocks. The shader is usually what holds back overclocks, yet is also what gives the GTX 2xx series their performance. Zotac knows that people will look at the core clock and go "OMG best factory OC" and buy it, without realizing that the shader is kept low.

With the upcoming GTX 285 (ahem, I'm under NDA but I'll just call it that for now since that's what y'all are calling it ;) ), knowing that more shader clock = better performance... know what I mean, Vern?

Originally posted by: recoiledsnake

I don't see any reason for NVIDIA to not include an SPDIF passthrough in designs going forward, unless they integrate an audio CODEC like ATI.

Originally posted by: BFG10K

You can play that waiting game forever, and end up never upgrading. :confused:

Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
How does the 9800GTX+ overclock vs. the standard 65nm 9800GTX?

Well, stock it is clocked much higher. However, seems to me as if the original 9800 GTX more consistently reached higher stable clocks, which is strange. Also, doesn't help that the GTX+ is going 100% third-party PCB.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zap

You can play that waiting game forever, and end up never upgrading. :confused:
Exactly - which is why I snagged a GTX260+ at a clearance price. :thumbsup: