GTX X2 coming?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I moved this thread from CPU's, as it belongs in the video forum. I forgot to put a comment in your post first.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Markfw900
I moved this thread from CPU's, as it belongs in the video forum. I forgot to put a comment in your post first.

Oh shoot sorry I thought I posted in Video. Thanks.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: jaredpace
Wonder if they'll put it on a single PCB or go the sandwich route?

Good question...considering the memory bus size and size of the die itself it might be better to go sandwich a la GX2?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: thilan29

Good question...considering the memory bus size and size of the die itself it might be better to go sandwich a la GX2?

Would 55nm open up single pcb possibilities? nVidia is experienced with the sandwich cards though. Seems they'd go with what they know. Will be a good card in any case. One thing I love about nV is the decent scaling. Should be interesting..

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
nVidia's got better scaling because they bought up 3Dfx and their SLI technology and they've had alot of time to tweak it. ATI had to do their implementation by hand.:)

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29

They're already using a 14 layer PCB due to the routing necessary for the 448-bit memory bus. Even though the GTX280 is built on the same PCB with a 512-Bit memory bus, I doubt there's enough room left over to add the necessary lines for tying a second GPU into power, memory & PCIE slot plus adding an NVIO chip and ITS traces. My bet is the sandwich style as well.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I am surprised it has taken this long for something to compete on the top end. There must be some hold up on the 55nm chips.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: FalseChristian
nVidia's got better scaling because they bought up 3Dfx and their SLI technology and they've had alot of time to tweak it. ATI had to do their implementation by hand.:)

Umm, no. 3Dfx only ever used SFR (Split Frame Rendering). nVidia and ATI both use AFR. nVidia tried SFR with their cards years ago, and for whatever reason, decided not to use it. So actually, all nVidia got out of the deal was being able to call two cards pushing one monitor SLI. You're right about the reason nVidia used to be farther ahead in scaling, though. They did start way sooner than ATI, but mostly just because they had more money to sink into the technology, I'm pretty sure. BTW, with alot of games these days, the ATI cards are scaling as well as the nVidia cards, and better sometimes.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: myocardia
Umm, no. 3Dfx only ever used SFR (Split Frame Rendering). nVidia and ATI both use AFR. nVidia tried SFR with their cards years ago, and for whatever reason, decided not to use it.

SFR might see a resurgence... Lucid Hydra anyone?

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Regardless of if they do it or not, I'm not sure that many people are going to want to pay for it! No doubt, if they managed to make a 280x2, it would be one bad ass card (heck... 260x2 would be a nice piece of hardware too). I sure as hell wouldn't want to see the price tag on a 280x2 though! 260x2 could be fairly reasonable (or as reasonable as you get for top end hardware).

That being said, at the rate these cards are growing at (size wise), they are going to have to start building parts of them in 5.25" enclosures and connecting them to the main "card" via cables.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Wuzup101
That being said, at the rate these cards are growing at (size wise), they are going to have to start building parts of them in 5.25" enclosures and connecting them to the main "card" via cables.

[[[]]]
[[[]]]
[[[]]]
[[[]]]
[[[]]] [[[]]]
[[[]]] [[[]]]
[[[]]] [[[]]]
[[[]]] [[[]]]
[[[]]] [[[]]]

Wuzup: Hey Zap, cute little computer tower you have there.
Zap: Nah, that's my computer.
Wuzup: Really? Then what is the big tower next to it?
Zap: That's my video card.

:p

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: myocardia
Umm, no. 3Dfx only ever used SFR (Split Frame Rendering). nVidia and ATI both use AFR. nVidia tried SFR with their cards years ago, and for whatever reason, decided not to use it.

SFR might see a resurgence... Lucid Hydra anyone?

that is a lot more advanced then SFR... it doesn't split the frame, it splits the individual calculations.