GTX Titan X or GTX 980 SLI

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Title say it all.I need a good advice that should i stay with my single GTX 980 or go for SLI GTX 980 or get the Single beast GTX Titan X.My current resolution is 1080p.

Reason is that there are number of up coming and current games which will struggle to max out at 1080p when u hit max settings.Plz i dont want to buy AMD gpu so plz it is not even a option.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I would just stick to the 980 until prices come down and then possibly add another.

What monitor do you run?

Feb 19, 2009
SLI seems to be struggling lately in recent games, even in GameWorks games, its either buggy, broken or stuttering.

Go with the fastest single GPU OR go with two of them. Don't go with multiple weaker GPUs. Not a good idea.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
SLI seems to be struggling lately in recent games, even in GameWorks games, its either buggy, broken or stuttering.

Go with the fastest single GPU OR go with two of them. Don't go with multiple weaker GPUs. Not a good idea.
Yup i have sold my GTX 780 Ti SLI due to lack of SLI support and that is why i want know from GTX 980 SLI owners there gaming experience but fact is that single GPU is always the best option.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Always always always go single GPU over SLI.

Trust me, you may shower fewer fps, but your actual visual experience will be better with a single card.

This is only untrue in rare situations, like running insanely high resolutions that require brute force GPU power in which case the added hassle, latency and other problems of running multiple cards may sometimes be worth the headache.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Titan X or wait for Pascal
Would you consider 390X if performance is really great?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I was tempted to say Titan X. But you are at 1080P.

Just stay with the single 980. Don't chase the ultra max settings IMO, do what's needed with the 980 to lock to 60fps with vsync at 1080P and enjoy. There's usually one or two settings that when maxxed make it impossible to lock to 60fps no matter what, so don't try and tame those settings with a new GPU because you'll be chasing your tail IME, just lower the appropriate setting/s 1 notch.

If you have money to burn, then Titan X before 980 SLI.

Last edited:

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
what games (available now) are you playing that is bring down a 980 at 1080p?

a single 980 should easily hold ~60fps on almost all games at 1080p.
for the few exceptions (like cry3 - a play one time game) - just turn down setting a notch.

with attic. if you got money to burn. exclusively at 1080p. definitely titan x before 980 sli.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
what games (available now) are you playing that is bring down a 980 at 1080p?

a single 980 should easily hold ~60fps on almost all games at 1080p.
for the few exceptions (like cry3 - a play one time game) - just turn down setting a notch.

with attic. if you got money to burn. exclusively at 1080p. definitely titan x before 980 sli.

He said a 3D TV, so he needs to get 60fps/eye.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
He said a 3D TV, so he needs to get 60fps/eye.

that changes thing considerably. for 60hz 3d (equivalent to 120hz 2d)

980 sli is the better solution over the titan x.

also note: as poor as 3d implementation is. definitely want 60fps/eye minimum performance. that means: 980 tri-sli or titanx sli.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Now i have purchased a 1200p Resolution monitor so if it is a wise choice to go for GTX 980 SLI or get titan X.

Again i dont consider AMD even if it is faster so for me Nvidia is the only option for me right now.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Now i have purchased a 1200p Resolution monitor so if it is a wise choice to go for GTX 980 SLI or get titan X.

1200P (1920x1200) is hardly a bump from 1080P; just an 11% increase in pixels. I think Titan X/980 SLI starts to make sense at 1440P and above for current gen games. However, for 1080P, I would just use a single 980 and turn down settings. Alternatively, 970 SLI seems like a better value than 980 SLI and for 1080P, the latter is hardly worth the extra $ as 3.5GB of VRAM isn't a bottleneck at 1080P. If you can afford the Titan X though, and are tired of SLI, why not, especially if you are willing to watercool the Titan X to get max performance with an unlocked BIOS.

Last edited:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

Are you speaking from experience? Because that's far from the truth. SLI works in nearly every single new game (way better support than Crossfire), does not stutter like you claim and isn't buggy at all. If there's a game here or there that doesn't play nice, it can be disabled instantly. The only shortcoming of SLI I can think of is that NVIDIA hasn't added MFAA/DSR support for G-Sync enabled monitors yet.

OP: I switched to Titan X from 980 SLI because I plan to get a second Titan X shortly thereafter and run in SLI. However, if you're looking for raw performance, the 980 SLI still wins by a bit. However, if you OC the Titan X up to about 1.4 GHz, the gap closes significantly.

Last edited:

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Are you speaking from experience? Because that's far from the truth. SLI works in nearly every single new game (way better support than Crossfire), does not stutter like you claim and isn't buggy at all. If there's a game here or there that doesn't play nice, it can be disabled instantly. The only shortcoming of SLI I can think of is that NVIDIA hasn't added MFAA/DSR support for G-Sync enabled monitors yet.

OP: I switched to Titan X from 980 SLI because I plan to get a second Titan X shortly thereafter and run in SLI. However, if you're looking for raw performance, the 980 SLI still wins by a bit. However, if you OC the Titan X up to about 1.4 GHz, the gap closes significantly.
Tnk u for the advice and it was really helpful btw just want to ask do u get any stutter or spikes problems in latest games.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Tnk u for the advice and really help full and just want to ask do u get any stutter or spikes problems in latest games.

Coming from Titan SLI to 980 SLI I honestly never noticed microstutter but some people are more sensitive than others. However, others may confuse drops in min fps as stutter or other factors (slow HDD) and blame it on GPU stutter. I have about 100+ games in my Steam library and I honestly can't think of any that doesn't work well with SLI. But keep in mind 980 SLI will set you back about $1100 minimum so that costs more than a Titan X. If you go Titan X, you can OC it to 1.4 GHz fairly easily (almost everyone is hitting 1350-1400+ MHz with ease) and use that 24/7 for gaming. That significantly closes the gaming gap with 980 SLI.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtlBDKDLOVU

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
The most problems I've had with SLI were with brand new, just released games not having SLI profiles. Users often found a working combination of SLI bits for a game before Nvidia updated drivers with a profile.

Other than that the most problems I've had have been with Far Cry 4 which was completely broken on SLI upon release (everything turning black at night, flickering environments etc) and with the 1.9.0 patch they've actually broken it again, now the environment flickers on SLI. SMAA on SLI is also still broken on that game (causes transparent ghost images of menus to stay on screen). For that particular game I didn't have any problems on patch 1.8.0.

So I would not say that SLI is without issues, but mostly it's a case of the developer not testing SLI properly (and lets face it, Ubisoft games are known for requiring a gazillion patches anyway) or Nvidia not providing a profile. I think this is overall quite minor though and haven't noticed any stutter etc issues.

By comparison AMD is doing a lot worse. Just this month they finally released drivers that add Crossfire profiles for Far Cry 4 for example, a game that has been out for something like 4 months now.

I've got 970 SLI myself. For about 500 euros more for similar performance the Titan X isn't all that exciting to me and neither is the 980 SLI. Since those two are so close in price, I'd pick the Titan X because it can run anything at 1440p really nicely when overclocked and you avoid any SLI related issues altogether.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'd still wait for cut down GM200 to come out. $1000 is a complete rip off when you know there's a nearly 100% chance a cheaper, nearly as good version is going to come out shortly.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
I have currently a multi gpu setup, and i have own cards from both sides in the last generation in both single and multi GPUs. For your resolution, i would go Titan X.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Wait for the 390X, see what stacked memory delivers- might be enough to convince you to wait until Pascal.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I don't ususally suggest waiting because there is always something greater on the horizon when it comes to tech. But in this case, a few weeks of waiting to see what happens would be well worth it imo.