GTX 980 + LG 31MU97 + HPZ30i + HPz30w - an act of suicide?

Dessicant

Nov 8, 2014
I have decided to ask for total frustration and pain. I have ordered the PNY variant of the GTX 980, and the new LG31MU97 10-bit 4K monitor. I already have the ZR30w. I am going to attempt to have a triple monitor all-DisplayPort setup with the z30i on the left, the LG 4K in the middle, and the zR30W on the right in a portrait configuration. The setup will look odd with 2 landscapes and a portrait, but sometimes it's just nice have that vertical availability.

I have read about all the issues and realize I will be in configuration hell with no guarantees that the setup will work at all.

But that is why we love computers. The uncertainty and the bleeding edge.

If it works, I will then build a whole new rig around it with an X99 motherboard and the core i7-5960X which should hopefully become a stable platform by mid 2015.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
And you are going to run all those pixels from a single 980? You must not game at all.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
That is the part that needs to be explained. What is the purpose of this setup? If it is not for gaming, you can do it cheaper than with a 980, and because of the vertical display, we can rule out surround gaming, but you may be unhappy with a single 980, unless you are ok with sub 60 FPS and turning down a few settings (most games can be played at high, with cutting edge games at medium settings).

Dessicant

Nov 8, 2014
My gaming preference is mostly TBS, like HOMM and Civilization, where video performance is not as crucial. However, based on what I have read, there is no video card invented yet that can do 3 displays at 60fps. So for now, I will confine FPS gaming to a single 4K display, and even there I expect to be turning down settings. Besides I am mixing a 4K display with two 2K displays, so multi-monitor gaming is out. Perhaps at some point when there is a GTX1280 with 24GB, three 4K monitors for gaming will be doable.

The setup is primarily for work running Photoshop, Premiere, Avid Media Composer, Excel, Access, browsers, etc. I am addicted to the screen real estate. I have also never built my own computer yet, so that is something I plan to start in January or February.

Check out these cases:
http://www.caselabs-store.com/merlin-sm8-case/

You can order these in primer gray and have them professionally painted. Imagine doing that with some crazy color with matching LEDs throughout the inside. Effing hot!

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Sounds like you will be having fun. Limited only by funds. Like many of us :)
For 2d use , non gaming. The new maxwell cards also supporting hdmi 2.0 should handle your multi monitors fine.

Enjoy !

Lot's of good pertinent quotes here :
http://kotaku.com/the-10-best-things-about-building-a-new-gaming-pc-1605434587
Building a gaming PC can be difficult and stressful. There are a thousand things that could go… Read more
But for today: Happiness! Positivity! Excitement! Here we go.
yxqirvpny6mip4ojax5t.png

1. Telling people you're building a new PC.

It's fun to tell people you're building a new PC.
"I'm building a new PC," you say.
"Oh, cool!" They reply.
You get to sound like you're some hot-rodding, customizing know-it-all who builds his own things all the time. Yeah, I build my own PCs. I also grind my own coffee beans, and when the downstairs bathroom doorknob falls off, I fix it myself.
You're about to create something. You're building something. You rule.

[Image redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
My gaming preference is mostly TBS, like HOMM and Civilization, where video performance is not as crucial. However, based on what I have read, there is no video card invented yet that can do 3 displays at 60fps. So for now, I will confine FPS gaming to a single 4K display, and even there I expect to be turning down settings. Besides I am mixing a 4K display with two 2K displays, so multi-monitor gaming is out. Perhaps at some point when there is a GTX1280 with 24GB, three 4K monitors for gaming will be doable.

The setup is primarily for work running Photoshop, Premiere, Avid Media Composer, Excel, Access, browsers, etc. I am addicted to the screen real estate. I have also never built my own computer yet, so that is something I plan to start in January or February.

Check out these cases:
http://www.caselabs-store.com/merlin-sm8-case/

You can order these in primer gray and have them professionally painted. Imagine doing that with some crazy color with matching LEDs throughout the inside. Effing hot!

Even 4K is pushing it for a single GTX 980. You'll get maybe a year before you need to start turning down noticeable settings in most games.

meloz

Jul 8, 2008
If it works, I will then build a whole new rig around it with an X99 motherboard and the core i7-5960X which should hopefully become a stable platform by mid 2015.

Keep us updated.

On a tangential note, can one GTX 980 support three 4K monitors? I am not talking about gaming, just general 2D desktop application scenario. How many megapixels can these modern GPUs pump out? Does AMD or nvidia have a performance advantage over each other in this matter?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
On a tangential note, can one GTX 980 support three 4K monitors? I am not talking about gaming, just general 2D desktop application scenario. How many megapixels can these modern GPUs pump out? Does AMD or nvidia have a performance advantage over each other in this matter?

Stock 980? 72.1 Gigapixel/s @ base frequency. That's theoretical of course.

Its easy to find out, you just need to multiply ROP units with core frequency... :)

Same for texture fillrate, you just multiply TMUs with base frequency.

Dessicant

Nov 8, 2014
Keep us updated.

I go back to the days of the IBM Monochrome Display, and I remember the wonderment of an Amdek monitor with its monochrome amber characters. So to me, the idea of a single video card powering 3 displays at 4K,2K,2K, is mind boggling. Even though the stuff is on order, I am somehow sure it is not going to work.

I always tell myself that the bleeding edge is called the bleeding edge for a reason. Stay away. Yet I can't help going there. It usually ends up working out. In this case, however, if the whole experiment fails, I can always go back to dual 30-inch monitors at 2K, which is still amazing, and wait for stability and sanity to catch up.

I'm still contemplating the fear of locking down a $1,000 Core i7 5960 on a Gigabyte motherboard-to-be-named-later. I'm not sure I have it in me.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
http://www.geforce.com//hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

GeForce GTX 980 Single-GPU With 3D Surround (Landscape)
> Orientation: Landscape
> Accessory Display: Yes, no additional GPU (if using 3 or less displays)
> Maximum Resolution: 11520x2160
> Maximum Resolution (Bezel Correction): 10240x1600
> Maximum number of displays: 2-4 in Surround, 1 Accessory Display when using 3 or less displays in Surround

Special Instructions:
> Any connectors can be used to enable Surround.
> Once Surround is enabled, users can use any
connector for the Accessory Display.
> Max of 4 displays can be used simultaneously (3 if monitors are 4K)
> 3D Vision Surround requires using three DVI or three DisplayPort connectors
> All monitors must be the same make and model for 3D Vision Surround
> Using DisplayPort connectors may require the use of DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapters. Please consult your monitor's manual for supported 3D connectors

The biggest bottleneck is a single 980 isn't even fast enough for 1 4K monitor for modern games. In this case dual 970s or dual 980s are better.

Dessicant

Nov 8, 2014
http://www.geforce.com//hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

GeForce GTX 980 Single-GPU With 3D Surround (Landscape)
> Orientation: Landscape
> Accessory Display: Yes, no additional GPU (if using 3 or less displays)
> Maximum Resolution: 11520x2160
> Maximum Resolution (Bezel Correction): 10240x1600
> Maximum number of displays: 2-4 in Surround, 1 Accessory Display when using 3 or less displays in Surround

Special Instructions:
> Any connectors can be used to enable Surround.
> Once Surround is enabled, users can use any
connector for the Accessory Display.
> Max of 4 displays can be used simultaneously (3 if monitors are 4K)
> 3D Vision Surround requires using three DVI or three DisplayPort connectors
> All monitors must be the same make and model for 3D Vision Surround
> Using DisplayPort connectors may require the use of DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapters. Please consult your monitor's manual for supported 3D connectors

The biggest bottleneck is a single 980 isn't even fast enough for 1 4K monitor for modern games. In this case dual 970s or dual 980s are better.

So, since the LG is unique in that it an actual 4K display: 4096 x 2160, I would expect that a single 980 cannot drive more than 2 of them. My 2 side displays will be running at 2560 x 1600 & 1600 x 2560, so it may be OK, but I will find out soon enough.

While adding another 980 would not be a problem, Avid Media Composer is reported by some to be finicky when it encounters more than 1 video card. So I don't want to upset Avid, as I enjoy using it for video editing. Perhaps there is a utility that could disable one of the 980s in a 2x980 configuration when Avid is running. We shall see.

I'm actually looking forward to this LG display. I have checked out the cheapo 4K 27 inchers at Micro Center in Paterson, and I am not impressed. This panel seems special with its 10 bit color and higher level of quality given its target audience: video editors, photographers, etc.

If it ends up not knocking my socks off, I will sell it and retrench to 3 x 2K HP z30is until the dust settles and some better new monitors come to market.

Really, the ideal would be a 40-inch 10-bit 60hz 4K display. Seiki has announced a 12-bit (!?) 3.8K 40 inch monitor for 2015, but nobody has seen it yet. That one might be a killer, I am looking forward to more news. I could envision a 40-inch Seiki in the middle, flanked by 30-inch 2Ks on either side.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
So, since the LG is unique in that it an actual 4K display: 4096 x 2160, I would expect that a single 980 cannot drive more than 2 of them. My 2 side displays will be running at 2560 x 1600 & 1600 x 2560, so it may be OK, but I will find out soon enough.

In 3D/2D Surround, it might not work with 3, but as extended desktops, it might. The limitation they listed was under 3D Surround.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
17:9 is not a regular gaming aspect ratio though.

Most games only have 21:9, 16:9, 16:10, or 5:4 and 4:3 for available aspect ratios.

A lot of games when trying to do 17:9 will do 16:8 instead and stretch the image horizontally, which can make everything look a little bit wonky. Have you considered waiting for the Benq BL3201PH or Acer B326K? Both should be around $1k and will have 16:9 ratio.

Dessicant

Nov 8, 2014
17:9 is not a regular gaming aspect ratio though.

Most games only have 21:9, 16:9, 16:10, or 5:4 and 4:3 for available aspect ratios.

A lot of games when trying to do 17:9 will do 16:8 instead and stretch the image horizontally, which can make everything look a little bit wonky. Have you considered waiting for the Benq BL3201PH or Acer B326K? Both should be around $1k and will have 16:9 ratio.

I wonder if I can select 16:9 with bars on a 17:9 display. If not, I will just live with it, or I can just game off one of the side monitors. Maybe I'll design a rolling stand for the left monitor and I can roll it to the forefront if I am playing an FPS!

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I wonder if I can select 16:9 with bars on a 17:9 display. If not, I will just live with it, or I can just game off one of the side monitors. Maybe I'll design a rolling stand for the left monitor and I can roll it to the forefront if I am playing an FPS!

For a single display, that should be easily doable. I do not, however, know how that would work with surround.

Anis Fe

Mar 10, 2015
Hi Dessicant,
I just bought a configuration PC gamer:
Intel I7-5820K 6x3.6Ghz 15MB Cache - 8Gb of ram DDR4 Corsair Vengeance - Graphics Card MSI GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb Gaming - Hard Drive 1TB SATA SSD + 120GB - Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 - XFX Pro 750W Power 80+ Bronze.

Notice on the site it only supports family Quadro FX graphics cards. I really fear of losing a big invistissement without my graphics card works with Avid Media Composer, I want to know if you have already tested the card with Avid.
thank you

Dec 30, 2004
I would try to get a card with 6 or 8GB preferably VRAM. If it's a 980 I think it might actually possibly be OK.