GTX 950 in New Rig - Fan Always On!! (I want it OFF!)

Fun Guy

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
I just completed my new rig and everything was perfect until in the second week, when I noticed the video card fan was always on. Even with all the apps closed!! I am frustrated, as this card was labeled as 'quiet.'

Here is a snapshot of my system - can anyone help? This is REALLY annoying...

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
Can you do with MSI Afterburner ? just set "Fan speed" to near 10% or better.

Edit : this method can be killer.be adviced!

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
You can't turn off the fans unless the card actually supports semi passive fan operation. If it does, it should do that automatically when temperature is below a certain threshold (usually around 60C).

Try lowering fan speeds with Afterburner. If 42% is the minimum you can set it to, it may still be possible to mod the fan profile in the graphics card's BIOS to allow lower than 42% fan speeds. But the easiest thing would be to just return/sell the card and buy another with a semi passive cooler.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
It looks like something is using the GPU... Your clocks are not at idle.

Do you have dual monitors hooked up? If so, what are their resolutions and refresh rates?

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Is the card supposed to have 0 RPM on the fans at idle? If so Firebird's likely right. For a quick and easy check you can just disable all but one monitor through windows and see if the GPU clocks down. If that's the case Nvidia inspector has a tool that may help.