GTX 770 a Marketing rip off ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I laughed at this thread. Not so much because of the title, but because the OP seems to have been aggrieved enough to sign up and start it as his first thread. Whenever Nvidia have cards that take the spotlight off AMD, it seems to rile up quite a few peeps :p.

OP mentions in the conspiracy thread that he didnt buy Nvidia "this time around" because they were 'sleazy'. Of course we have to assume he has an AMD CPU as well due to Intels sleaze (with what they were doing with compilers and odious marketing tactics).

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
I laughed at this thread. Not so much because of the title, but because the OP seems to have been aggrieved enough to sign up and start it as his first thread. Whenever Nvidia have cards that take the spotlight off AMD, it seems to rile up quite a few peeps :p.).

Actually I am just observing the fact that nvidia continually lowers or stagnates the value for dollar bar with every new release and uses sleez marketing to make people whom did not think it through to believe that they are getting more value when they are just getting pricing that should have been available to them months before.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Whats funny the value that AMD RAdeon HD represents or how much it makes nvidia look bad ?
I highlighted the part that was funny. you actually think the pricing and bundles is not from Nvidia pressure at all which is hilarious. congratulations on joining the forums to make a fool of yourself.

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
I highlighted the part that was funny. you actually think the pricing and bundles is not from Nvidia pressure at all which is hilarious. congratulations on joining the forums to make a fool of yourself.
Not sure what you mean ? If AMD's counter to nividia as you try and claim was Never Settle then that would make Metro Last Light nvidia'a counter to AMD's Never Settle ? If so than that's funny.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Not sure what you mean ? If AMD's counter to nividia as you try and claim was Never Settle then that would make Metro Last Light nvidia'a counter to AMD's Never Settle ? If so than that's funny.
so just playing dumb or is that really all you have to work with?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

Most likely it was and why would that be funny?

AMD drops prices and offers a game bundle because Nvidia is getting all the sales. AMD starts to get some sales, so Nvidia counters. That is how business works.

Unfortunately for AMD, Nvidia is still selling the vast majority of discrete video cards.

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Most likely it was and why would that be funny?

Correct it is not really that funny and I suppose pathetic would be a more accurate word to use.

AMD drops prices and offers a game bundle because Nvidia is getting all the sales. AMD starts to get some sales, so Nvidia counters. That is how business works.

Unfortunately for AMD, Nvidia is still selling the vast majority of discrete video cards.

I predict in the future that nvidia will see hard times because off the new consoles all being AMD and with almost every new blockbuster game out sans Metro LL being AMD developed.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Correct it is not really that funny and I suppose pathetic would be a more accurate word to use.

I predict in the future that nvidia will see hard times because off the new consoles all being AMD and with almost every new blockbuster game out sans Metro LL being AMD developed.
lol you do realize that Nvidia matches or beats AMD in many AMD developed games right now. just like AMD can beat Nvidia in some of the games Nvidia had a hand in.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

Considering you have 2 pages of feedback from your thread, and not one person agrees with you, I would not put a lot of stock in your opinions on the subject. There are a lot of AMD fanboys around here, and none has jumped in to support your claim. That says something.

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
lol you do realize that Nvidia matches or beats AMD in many AMD developed games right now. just like AMD can beat Nvidia in some of the games Nvidia had a hand in.
Well that's a bit of a flawed metric to use as AMD outperformed nvidia in Metro 2033 by a very large margin dueto AMD driver enhancements over time. I predict that over time the same will happen with Metro LL with AMD coming out with optimized drivers that will overtake their respective green counterparts imo.

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Considering you have 2 pages of feedback from your thread, and not one person agrees with you, I would not put a lot of stock in your opinions on the subject. There are a lot of AMD fanboys around here, and none has jumped in to support your claim. That says something.
Which claim exactly ?

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
I agree about AMD optimized titles. It will be much, much easier to bring GCN optimized code over to PC in the future, Nvidia will have to put tons of work (and $$$) into their drivers to come even close. Smart business move from AMD, Nvidia thinks too much about their short term financials :p

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
I agree about AMD optimized titles. It will be much, much easier to bring GCN optimized code over to PC in the future, Nvidia will have to put tons of work (and $$$) into their drivers to come even close. Smart business move from AMD, Nvidia thinks too much about their short term financials :p
Bringing x87 code across the board from the new consoles to PC will defiantly mean good things for the whole industry not just AMD but nvidia as well. I think that imo since conmsoles are the main focus for the game devs because thats where the money is at will mean that AMD will get more love and optimizations than nvidia. That's one of the main reasons I went AMD Radeon HD this time around instead of nvidia.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Bringing x87 code across the board from the new consoles to PC will defiantly mean good things for the whole industry not just AMD but nvidia as well. I think that imo since conmsoles are the main focus for the game devs because thats where the money is at will mean that AMD will get more love and optimizations than nvidia. That's one of the main reasons I went AMD Radeon HD this time around instead of nvidia.

There is a lot more optimization than can be done than you think. Game titles can essentially be purpose-build to run well on GCN - to use their strengths, operations they exceed at, etc.

Optimizations like this can't be carried over to Nvidia. Especially considering these optimizations bypass the drivers to an extent...

Irishwhitey

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
There is a lot more optimization than can be done than you think. Game titles can essentially be purpose-build to run well on GCN - to use their strengths, operations they exceed at, etc.

Optimizations like this can't be carried over to Nvidia. Especially considering these optimizations bypass the drivers to an extent...
Yes I suppose you have a vaild point as if I am not mistaken Graphic Core Next has far better GP computational performance than nvidia.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
In short GTX 770 is fail because it is just a GTX 680 in disuse with a fancy looking cooler at the price GTX 680 should have been along time ago and it even requires more power and generates more heat. Welcome to marketing where the ignorant lose money.

Translation:

Irishwhiney said:
nVidia drops the price on the GTX 680 by $150 and increases the speed and I'm upset because I still can't afford one

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Translation:

The issue is the 680 should have been cheaper in the first place, and instead of launching a whole new series they should just have dropped the price by $100-150. This way people who own 680's can SLI easily, and there is no "rebranding" issue to talk about.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
That was my initial thought, though I also think it may be just him trying to remove any self doubt that he made the right purchase. Not that I'm saying the AMD card was a bad purchase.

Out of curiosity what AMD video card did you purchase?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The issue is the 680 should have been cheaper in the first place, and instead of launching a whole new series they should just have dropped the price by $100-150. This way people who own 680's can SLI easily, and there is no "rebranding" issue to talk about.

I'm not a fan of the rebranding, but that doesn't make it a "rip off" either.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
I'm not a fan of the rebranding, but that doesn't make it a "rip off" either.

I don't think it's a rip-off either, I just think it would be BETTER if we had a 680+ instead of a half baked 700 series. It's a win-win for everyone, so I don't see how you could argue it's BETTER we have the 700 series instead of a 680+ that costs less....

Status
Not open for further replies.