lambchops511

Apr 12, 2005
That's the one. Not 4G, but it does have a reasonable overclock and voltage adjustments. No complaints so far, esp since my old 580 sounded like a vacuum cleaner. A rather quiet vacuum cleaner but one nonetheless.

Any reason not the EVGA? Its cheaper and higher clocks.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Lambchops511, I've owned 2 of the EVGA GTX670 FTWs for over 2 months and they have been Outstanding!

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Lambchops511, I've owned 2 of the EVGA GTX670 FTWs for over 2 months and they have been Outstanding!

I'm pleased with mine too. Although there are probably faster options with the non reference cooler cards, EVGA is a solid company.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Asus DirectCu II is probably the best cooler. Gigabyte's triple-fan Windforce is a close second, then comes MSI Twin Frozr III/IV.

Pick one of these:
Gigabyte 670 $400
MSI 670 PE/OC $400

Gigabyte should be quieter, MSI should be more overclockable. Asus is $20 more, not really worth it.

Last edited:

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Does this mean I shouldnt go w. EVGA? Who has better coolers?

No it's not that you shouldn't go with EVGA. I'm really happy with mine but I'm just trying to be impartial in saying if you do a little research there are cards with non reference coolers that can perhaps overclock a little higher than the FTW. But honestly the real world difference in frames/second is pretty small IMO that it doesn't matter much. If you have a brand preference then go with whatever brand you prefer.

I've used both MSI and EVGA (and Diamond way back in the 90s) cards all of my gaming life and have had good results with both. I have a bit of bad taste in my mouth with Asus right now since my last two motherboards from them were lackluster underperformers. I have no experience with Gigabyte cards, but my MB from them is solid.

I will say the advantage to the shrouded reference cooler (EVGA) over some of the nons are that you get full exhaust of the GPU heat out of the back of the case which keeps case ambients lower. The 670 when working hard can put out quite a bit of heat. Some of the non ref coolers I've seen look like they just blow the heat off inside your case. So if you don't have really good case cooling this might be an issue. Also I EVGA customer support is know for being the best which counts for something if you have an issue.

lambchops511

Apr 12, 2005
No it's not that you shouldn't go with EVGA. I'm really happy with mine but I'm just trying to be impartial in saying if you do a little research there are cards with non reference coolers that can perhaps overclock a little higher than the FTW. But honestly the real world difference in frames/second is pretty small IMO that it doesn't matter much. If you have a brand preference then go with whatever brand you prefer.

I've used both MSI and EVGA (and Diamond way back in the 90s) cards all of my gaming life and have had good results with both. I have a bit of bad taste in my mouth with Asus right now since my last two motherboards from them were lackluster underperformers. I have no experience with Gigabyte cards, but my MB from them is solid.

I will say the advantage to the shrouded reference cooler (EVGA) over some of the nons are that you get full exhaust of the GPU heat out of the back of the case which keeps case ambients lower. The 670 when working hard can put out quite a bit of heat. Some of the non ref coolers I've seen look like they just blow the heat off inside your case. So if you don't have really good case cooling this might be an issue. Also I EVGA customer support is know for being the best which counts for something if you have an issue.

I actually want a 4GB version, is this good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130785

Also, I have no case, and don't plan to have a case. Would that be a problem?

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
I actually want a 4GB version, is this good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130785

Also, I have no case, and don't plan to have a case. Would that be a problem?

Sure that'd be a great card but I guess I'm ignorant and don't know what you mean by using the card for compute and not gaming. Running it outside of a case on some kind of mounting platform won't be a problem. Do you really need the 4GB of video memory? You could save some $$ with the 2GB version.

lambchops511

Apr 12, 2005
Sure that'd be a great card but I guess I'm ignorant and don't know what you mean by using the card for compute and not gaming. Running it outside of a case on some kind of mounting platform won't be a problem. Do you really need the 4GB of video memory? You could save some $$ with the 2GB version.

Don;t need 4GB Today, but don't know about tmr. Is it true the 2GB version has faster memory (2x) than 4 GB version?

lambchops511

Apr 12, 2005
As far as I know, 600 series doesn't perform that well in CUDA. You should get similar performance with a GTX 570 as a 670

MSI 570 $210 AR

Yeah, I can't find much good benchmarks on this actually. I only care about SP and my application is memory bound rather than core bound...