GTX 670 whine noise

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Then leave it . It doesn't like Evga OC Scanner stress test for some reason and it is showing its anger :p

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
That's normal. The OC scanner typically runs at a very high framerate, which is where coil whine manifests itself.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yep if it the framerete is the high hundreds or thousands like when you start up some games then that will happen on most high end cards.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I had a PNY GTX 470 made that made that sound when I stressed tested it and when it went to 100 degrees C... I took it back to Fry's and got an EVGA GTX 470 and it didn't make that sound when I stressed it...

Both of these GTX 470 were reference cards so I'm thinking in the PNY card maybe some part of the card was not glued correctly or completely sealed, which makes that sound when air passes through it...:eek:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Besides being anoying, nothing is wrong with the card.

Its simply a vibrating components. That naturally vibrate so to say. Normally they are just put in solids, glued etc.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
yep if it the framerete is the high hundreds or thousands like when you start up some games then that will happen on most high end cards.

I've always been told that it's COIL WHINE..

but where are the coils?? I don't see any coils. only caps.

caps whine??D:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Coil whine is justification for an RMA, just like it is for coil whine in power supplies. While essentially just annoying, why should you have to either put up with the noise, noise that'll just get worse with use and age, or have to attempt to fix it yourself?

You paid for a new product that's supposed to work, get one.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Coil whine is justification for an RMA, just like it is for coil whine in power supplies. While essentially just annoying, why should you have to either put up with the noise, noise that'll just get worse with use and age, or have to attempt to fix it yourself?

You paid for a new product that's supposed to work, get one.

WHERE ARE THESE MYSTERIOUS COILS... o_O I see NON on my gfx card.

Danik

May 7, 2012
I though nVidia offered frame rate targets in the control panel. Is it possible to set maximum frames rendered, and thus reduce the occurrence of this type of problem where frame rates may skyrocket?

DeeJayeS

Dec 28, 2011
I had no such whine when using OC Scanner, and I didn't limit the frames.

Mine's a regular EVGA 670.