GTX 670 Vs HD 7970 At Max Overclocks

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Guys I think its more of a choice of, Do you want a AMD card or a nVidia card that can do phsyx as well.

They both obviously perform same,, your not gonna see a difference in real world play.

Nice graphs,, wow looks like 690 GTX pownz the world right now, imagine SLIing that thing. LOL gl

Considering almost no games use GPU PhysX and it can harm frame rates if you're doing it on the same card you're gaming on I'll stick with CPU PhysX.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
blastingcap, at your resolution, the 3g Vram makes perfect sense. I see that EVGA makes a 4g Vram GTX 670 and Palit, I think has a 4g Vram GTX 680. It would be very interesting to see the comparison of those cards with a 3g Vram that the 7970 uses. I looked at your specs and my Surround system is a little older (2500K vs 3570K) but close overall. I LOVE the Logitech G35s. I have two sets for 2 of the computers.

GTX680 4gb would be nice, but still lacks the compute abilities I need--I use my card for more than gaming.

For gaming, something like GTX680 4GB sounds pretty good for triple monitor setups. Maybe better than 7970; I am sure someone will do a review on that topic soon lol.

Anyway, I am happy with what I have, for now, because I tend to play older games anyway. I get way over 60 frames/second on some older games like Left4Dead2 at 5760x1080 with highest settings, even without overclocking. I know this is not going to be the case for others who like to max out BF3 on triple 30" monitors or whatever in which case tri-SLI 680 4GB or something like that would be better.

And yes I like my G35 headset, too. I didn't know what I was missing before (when I was using good-but-not-great regular headphones). :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Considering almost no games use GPU PhysX and it can harm frame rates if you're doing it on the same card you're gaming on I'll stick with CPU PhysX.

On a game like Batman: AC Physics is gone unless you use Nvidia's Physx and without a GPU doing the work it's horribly slow.

Maybe it doesn't matter to some people but whole clouds of smoke and broken glass are completely gone when it's turned off. It is night and day in some areas.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Actually the impetus for a tri-monitor setup was the flight sim "Rise of Flight" (ROF). I have BF3 but actually prefer COD MW3.

The 3 monitor setup with a flying game like this is great! Rise of Flight is based on WWI planes and, though I'm truly a novice, it's a lot of fun flying it.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Did you do benchmarks at long idle? Imo, this can be important, if you tend to leave your desktop unattended for long periods of time.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Actually the impetus for a tri-monitor setup was the flight sim "Rise of Flight" (ROF). I have BF3 but actually prefer COD MW3.

The 3 monitor setup with a flying game like this is great! Rise of Flight is based on WWI planes and, though I'm truly a novice, it's a lot of fun flying it.

Flight sims and driving games benefit from triple monitor as much as FPS. You can see where you are turning into (and if a plane or car is already there), etc. Plus it's just prettier. But you already know this, haha.

People complain about bezels etc. but funny thing is how they don't complain about the A-pillars on their cars... same thing. (Some people also do not understand that triple monitor allows for a greater field of vision; they think a single 30" monitor gives them that. Doesn't matter how much you explain aspect ration and FOV to them, they just don't get it. Sigh.)

My impetus for going tri-monitor was more pedestrian: I wanted to lower the odds of getting backstabbed in TF2. I didn't get backstabbed that much in the first place and was a very good player even on single screen, but I became VERY difficult to sneak up on once I went triple monitor + Surround headset. :)

I also discovered that the Storm of the Century spell combination in Dragon Age Origins was more useful when you could go triple monitor and cast it farther away from yourself... so my mage wouldn't accidentally kill herself with it, lol.