GTX 670 Vs HD 7970 At Max Overclocks

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
My GTX 680 starts paying this file @ 1006/3005, then it drops to 550/3005 in about a second, and then it drops again to 324/324 and stays there until the end of the playback.

Same thing as above with the 680. Loads up to max clocks then drops down to idle clocks after a couple seconds on GTX 670.

Thank you both.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Stock vs stock
680 > 7970 ~ 670 > 7950

Oced vs Oced
7970 ~ 680 > 670 ~ 7950 assuming 7950 is Oced past 1100+ which is possible quite often i guess. Besides not all 670s are reaching those ocs

Since 7950 only competes with 670 once Oced, it needs to come down to $375 for custom and $360 for reference and the only saving grace even then is the future vram

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Guys I think its more of a choice of, Do you want a AMD card or a nVidia card that can do phsyx as well.

They both obviously perform same,, your not gonna see a difference in real world play.

Nice graphs,, wow looks like 690 GTX pownz the world right now, imagine SLIing that thing. LOL gl

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Guys I think its more of a choice of, Do you want a AMD card or a nVidia card that can do phsyx as well.

They both obviously perform same,, your not gonna see a difference in real world play.

Nice graphs,, wow looks like 690 GTX pownz the world right now, imagine SLIing that thing. LOL gl

This

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

at my rez i'll take extra 1gb vram over physx

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
What about 3d gaming? Twimtbp? Functional sli vs a questionable at best crossfire?

I do not believe in multi-GPU, to the point where adaptive vsync, GPU Boost, possible center-weighted optimization for Surround, Bezel Peek, CUDA/PhysX, better 3D support, better power efficiency at load, etc. matter more than SLI to me. (Did I miss anything?)

TWIMTBP doesn't necessarily help; look at how Crysis and Metro2033 are doing now. 79xx actually does quite well in those games vs. 6xx. But at least you are more certain that there will not be killer driver bugs for those games at release, I guess... but I almost never buy games at release, so TWIMTBP matters little to me as well.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
AMD got my money because I wanted my 3x120hz monitors to run a single image from a single card.

I wish NV was in the game on multi-monitor in the same way... but they're not competing for my money.

May 13, 2009
AMD got my money because I wanted my 3x120hz monitors to run a single image from a single card.

I wish NV was in the game on multi-monitor in the same way... but they're not competing for my money.

I thought nvidia supports 3 monitors with one card with the 6 series?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I thought nvidia supports 3 monitors with one card with the 6 series?
They do. I'm running 3 - 24" 1920x1080 monitors in surround with a GTX 680 for a combined resolution of 5760 x 1080. Admittedly my monitors are not 120 Mhz rather 60 Mhz so I cannot comment on that. I'm running Nvidia Surround and it works extremely well. I previously ran the monitors with a Radeon 6970 in Eyefinity. I simply hooked two of the monitors to the DVI and use a fullsize active displayport for my third monitor. Obviously the GTX 680 is a more powerful card so games are much more playable with the GTX 680 than they were with the 6970. I also like that Nvidia made the middle monitor the default monitor for the start menu etc. Nice touch.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
With a single DP port? They couldn't help me.

I don't do surround but the GTX 670/680 definitely do triple monitor on a single card. However, mostly everyone states that the desktop management tools have an edge towards ATI.

Other than that, I don't know much because I haven't fiddled with surround yet. Maybe someday!

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I don't do surround but the GTX 670/680 definitely do triple monitor on a single card. However, mostly everyone states that the desktop management tools have an edge towards ATI.

Other than that, I don't know much because I haven't fiddled with surround yet. Maybe someday!
Having come from Eyefinity to Surround, I will tell you Nvidia got their act together with these 6 series cards. Surround is easy.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
They do. I'm running 3 - 24" 1920x1080 monitors in surround with a GTX 680 for a combined resolution of 5760 x 1080. Admittedly my monitors are not 120 Mhz rather 60 Mhz so I cannot comment on that. I'm running Nvidia Surround and it works extremely well. I previously ran the monitors with a Radeon 6970 in Eyefinity. I simply hooked two of the monitors to the DVI and use a fullsize active displayport for my third monitor. Obviously the GTX 680 is a more powerful card so games are much more playable with the GTX 680 than they were with the 6970. I also like that Nvidia made the middle monitor the default monitor for the start menu etc. Nice touch.

You can easily set the middle monitor to be primary, just tell it to be Primary in CCC. Not default but not hard.

I was under the impression that NV still has no presets like AMD does. Very easy to use hotkeys to go from single to triple Extended to triple Eyefinity. Has NV fixed that yet? Or are they still doing stuff like Bezel Peek first... nifty but come on, I want hotkey presets.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I do not believe in multi-GPU, to the point where adaptive vsync, GPU Boost, possible center-weighted optimization for Surround, Bezel Peek, CUDA/PhysX, better 3D support, better power efficiency at load, etc. matter more than SLI to me. (Did I miss anything?)

TWIMTBP doesn't necessarily help; look at how Crysis and Metro2033 are doing now. 79xx actually does quite well in those games vs. 6xx. But at least you are more certain that there will not be killer driver bugs for those games at release, I guess... but I almost never buy games at release, so TWIMTBP matters little to me as well.
Blastingcap, Have you tried Surround with a 6 series card yet? I'd love to try Eyefinity with a 7970. I had my 3 monitor rig run in Eyefinity with a 6970 but it clearly did not have the horsepower that this GTX 680 does. I like that Nvidia made the middle monitor the default for the start icon and for the icons running in the lower right corner. In Eyefinity, I constantly was looking let or right.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
You can easily set the middle monitor to be primary, just tell it to be Primary in CCC. Not default but not hard.

I was under the impression that NV still has no presets like AMD does. Very easy to use hotkeys to go from single to triple Extended to triple Eyefinity. Has NV fixed that yet? Or are they still doing stuff like Bezel Peek first... nifty but come on, I want hotkey presets.

Thats the main complaint i've read on forums, the inability to save presets with nvidia surround, which you can do with CCC. My impression is that the desktop management stuff is better with eyefinity.

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006

I'll check when I get home and let you know.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Blastingcap, Have you tried Surround with a 6 series card yet? I'd love to try Eyefinity with a 7970. I had my 3 monitor rig run in Eyefinity with a 6970 but it clearly did not have the horsepower that this GTX 680 does. I like that Nvidia made the middle monitor the default for the start icon and for the icons running in the lower right corner. In Eyefinity, I constantly was looking let or right.

No I am for better or worse tied to my 7970 right now, because I need it for some compute tasks that GTX 6xx can't do as well. If I didn't have that need, I might be on an NV card for the better power efficiency, etc. though 2GB VRAM is kind of iffy at my rez. Also, I am not sure if NV Surround works on one card for large displays or 120HZ monitors... are all of the NV connections dual-link? This may impact me if I upgrade to 3x2560x1440.

CCC has weirdness sometimes but I'm a veteran of Eyefinity since I bought a 5850 at launch and got 3 22" panels not too long afterwards. (I have since upgraded to 3x1920x1080 23" eIPS.) Once you get a handle on the CCC controls, it's a piece of cake to do things like having 3x1 Landscape with controls centered. Just click on the middle panel dropdown (black triangle) and tell it to be Primary. (There is also another way to do it but I can't remember right now... I'm not at my main PC.) Then you can save it to a preset, and tie a hotkey to it. For me:

3x1 centered = CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C (Centered extended desktop--apparently NV does this by default? But it takes like 2 mouse presses to do in AMD's CCC so I can't complain)

1x1 centered = CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+O (One monitor to save power if I don't need more than one monitor)

3x1 eyefinity = CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+E (Eyefinity)

I used to have more presets, like one for bezel compensated mode, but I have been swapping a lot of hardware around lately so I haven't had time or need to do so yet.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
blastingcap, at your resolution, the 3g Vram makes perfect sense. I see that EVGA makes a 4g Vram GTX 670 and Palit, I think has a 4g Vram GTX 680. It would be very interesting to see the comparison of those cards with a 3g Vram that the 7970 uses. I looked at your specs and my Surround system is a little older (2500K vs 3570K) but close overall. I LOVE the Logitech G35s. I have two sets for 2 of the computers.