GTX 670 OC'd to GTX 680 specs???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
30 minutes isn't even enough for a stress test to determine the overclock is stable, never mind fine tuning it

What absolute BS. Not everyone wants to spend time overclocking when they could spend time gaming.

It took me 20 seconds to move a slider to 1125mhz from 1000 mhz on a GPU that amd made for 925mhz.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
That didn't involve stress testing to determine it's stable, and neither did it involve any fine tuning which means finding optimal core clock, memory clock (and if applicable, voltage).

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
He didn't say it was a 50% boost from 40 to 60, he said it stops frequent drops to 40 fps. It might shock you to know that some 7950s are capable of going from 800MHz to 1250 + MHz. That is more than a 50% overclock, so it is possible.

Yes its very shocking actually, and absolutely an exception to the rule. The vast majority of video cards do NOT overclock that well, so i never bothered caring. This is especially true in the high end where there's already little headroom to overclock because they're at their limit.(no high end card is gonna overclock 50%, thats for sure!)

CPUs have always overclocked 30%-50% atleast, & its hardly an exception, every mid tier cpu overclocks that well.

Anyways all the power to u guys if ure seeing a 50% increase in performance from ur overclocks. I doubt my gtx 670 windforce OC can get anywhere near a 50% overclock as its already @ the top of the food chain.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
That didn't involve stress testing to determine it's stable, and neither did it involve any fine tuning which means finding optimal core clock, memory clock (and if applicable, voltage).

who stress tests a GPU?

Turn on BF3 and play for 3 hours without a crash on Ultra and you know your stable.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
It took you 3 hours to determine the OC is stable? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 3 hours is more than 30 minutes.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Like I said, if you understood how hardware functioned, it would only take 30 minutes. Since you don't, it takes you longer. Try not to place your limitations on others.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
It took you 3 hours to determine the OC is stable? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 3 hours is more than 30 minutes.

Those 3 hours are my gaming hours. Its not a "waste" basically just clock and play

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
1. Move slider to right, play games.
2. If/When driver crash occurs, move said slider slowly towards the left until stable operation
3. Enjoy :thumbsup:

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
Yes its very shocking actually, and absolutely an exception to the rule. The vast majority of video cards do NOT overclock that well, so i never bothered caring. This is especially true in the high end where there's already little headroom to overclock because they're at their limit.(no high end card is gonna overclock 50%, thats for sure!).

I do agree with your ealier post that the new Radeons are the exception when taken in context of GPU history. Though it absolutely is not an execption to the rule for 7950s so clock so well, 40%-50% is very achievable.

Last edited: