GTX 670 4GB TRI SLI Review. "Wasting my money so you don't have to!"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Finally, another game worth Tri SLI.

Max Payne 3. Was going to bench it, instead I ended up playing it for two continuous hours. What a fun game!

Everything on high, textures veryhigh, 4xaa 16af triple monitor, and I get 60-120 fps, 120 mostly indoors and less than that when the action heats up/outside. This is the best game in terms of IQ/playability that I've ever seen.

Just gorgeous graphics, and unreal fluid fps in trip mon.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I was just thinking that while I was reading this thread! Thank you!

Because I want my games to be playable, what's the point of testing with 32Xaa or something just to try and get good scaling if the game obviously can't even be played like that ?

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Because I want my games to be playable, what's the point of testing with 32Xaa or something just to try and get good scaling if the game obviously can't even be played like that ?

Show some examples for the forum with x32 CSAA or x2 SSAA or x4 SSAA. Would be interested to see the scaling between two and three GPU's.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009

There is a difference between MSAA and SSAA, 4 x SSAA often look better than eg. 32 x MSAA...you should look into what the difference is.

xNIKx

Jun 17, 2006
sorry to bring back a dead thread but i actually came across this on google while doing some tri 600 series research.

i currently have two 4gb 680s and was looking to add a third.
along with that third i was going to add a asus rampage iv extreme and a i7 3930k.

i am also doing this for 5760x1080, mainly for bf3. Two 680s does the job pretty well but i would think three would provide significant increase.

is this a good idea or should i save my money?

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I think you should sell your 680s for as close to $500 as you can and buy two cards with more memory. It'll help at 5760x1080, and a third card, if you want, will really just be taking care of microstutter issues.

But more seriously, unless your framerate is really dropping below 60 FPS, it's a waste. This says you'll be fine.

Last edited:

xNIKx

Jun 17, 2006
I think you should sell your 680s for as close to $500 as you can and buy two cards with more memory. It'll help at 5760x1080, and a third card, if you want, will really just be taking care of microstutter issues.

But more seriously, unless your framerate is really dropping below 60 FPS, it's a waste. This says you'll be fine.

4gbs is plenty. i dont think ive ever even seen my cards go over 3gbs.

im mostly likely going to be ordering tomorrow, seeing as in this thread he experienced a 20%-35% increase in games. that seems like a very nice increase.

people have to remember that the more cards you add, the less scaling you get.
i was expecting a 15% increase at the most.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Well, if you've got the money to spend and the refresh rate to take advatange of it, I suppose you could. I still think you're better off not buying a third 680 though.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011

4xSGSSAA incurs a 50% performance hit on Fermi, with Kepler even less. With 3-way SLI that is easily doable. What good is it to be CPU bottlenecked or running 150fps when you can invest in image quality and maintain playable framerates? You can also use 2xSGSSAA if 4x drops your fps by too much.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Haha, it's funny seeing this thread pop back up. In case anyone is wondering, shortly after my testing I gave one of my gtc 670s to my brother for his PC. As I now game entirely at 1080 I'm def not missing it.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Those cards will be outdated long before that 3930k will be,such a beast of a system you got there annisman.:p

Your rig is nothing close to a waste of money,years from now when it can't game,it will still have a few years of youtube/netflix/general use left.

Reminds me how crazy i went with the q6600/gtx280 upgrade over my e6750/8800gts just so i could max out UT3 and BF2 and get over 100 fps constantly lol.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Try with 690s next.

lol@690s.

Idk if your username tells us the story of where you work,but honestly frys is the store that has emptied my wallet faster then any other store on the planet.:awe:

The folks in the motherboard department knew me by name.:D Damn store was my second home.