GTX 660ti 670 & 680 users w/ x58 boards & s3 sleep problems

protivakid

Aug 23, 2012
Hello,
On another forum there has been a lot of people complaining that with their evga x58 board and gtx 600 series card the computer will NOT resume from s3 sleep mode. I myself am having the same issue. This seems to be a known issue since April but so far there is no fix. Not sure if this is only with evga x58 boards or all boards.

Posting this here to see if anyone else is experiencing this with the above combination?

If so I encourage you to let the maker of your hardware aware of this issue. Perhaps if enough complain there will be a fix.

protivakid

Aug 23, 2012
Bumping once to see if anyone else has / does not have this issue with the above combo

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Don't mind but do you honestly need this "sleep" mode?

You must be kidding.

If S3 didn't work, I would throw my computer out the window. I don't have time to waste waiting for the OS to load and then getting back to where I left off with everything I had open and running, every single day.

Time is money foo.

OP, since April there's been no resolution, IMO, time to change your motherboard.

protivakid

Aug 23, 2012
You must be kidding.

If S3 didn't work, I would throw my computer out the window. I don't have time to waste waiting for the OS to load and then getting back to where I left off with everything I had open and running, every single day.

Time is money foo.

OP, since April there's been no resolution, IMO, time to change your motherboard.

This is exactly how I feel! I want to make this issue as public as possible so it can hopefully get fixed and let potential buyers with x58 boards know. If I can't get it fixed I will be selling my new 670.

I got a great deal in a i7 970 which is not top dog but is NOT showing it's age in games yet so I don't want to upgrade my board yet.

Also wondering if AMD 7000 series cards and GTX 500 series cards that have greater than 1GB of memory have this problem. Can anyone else chime in?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
There have been cards with >1gig of vram for a while now. If it were a problem with X58, this likely would have been happening long ago.

FWIW, I had an issue with coming out of standby with my PC and it was because Windows was under volting my system RAM. Maybe check that?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You must be kidding.

Time is money foo.

Maybe it's just me but I never turn my computer off or sleep. It's on always 24/7.

With a modern motherboard and an SSD boot time is less time than it takes to go get a beer and come back anyway so...yeah.

protivakid

Aug 23, 2012
There have been cards with >1gig of vram for a while now. If it were a problem with X58, this likely would have been happening long ago.

FWIW, I had an issue with coming out of standby with my PC and it was because Windows was under volting my system RAM. Maybe check that?

There is a long post over on EVGA's forums about users having the same issue. One post from an EVGA rep claimed their x58 board was unable to come back from sleep because of the amount of onboard memory on the card. They have tried all sorts of combinations with no luck. I want to make this known so maybe a fix will finally come out.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
EVGA doesn't have very good BIOS teams anymore. Especially went down hill since Shamino left and went to Asus.

I think this belongs in the Motherboards forum though because it's clearly not an issue with the cards used as other boards don't have the same issues.

Last edited:

protivakid

Aug 23, 2012
EVGA doesn't have very good BIOS teams anymore. Especially went down hill since Shamino left and went to Asus.

I think this belongs in the Motherboards forum though because it's clearly not an issue with the cards used as other boards don't have the same issues.

You don't think other x58 boards besides EVGA have issues with s3 sleep and graphic cards 2GB & over?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Maybe it's just me but I never turn my computer off or sleep. It's on always 24/7.

With a modern motherboard and an SSD boot time is less time than it takes to go get a beer and come back anyway so...yeah.
Same that's why its irrelevant to me