GTX 480 Unigine and 3D Vision Surround Demo (GF100)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
After the 8800GT I never underestimate nVidia. Even though they're late out of the gate, I hope the new cards own.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Why are we back here? Fermi doesn't use its shaders, it uses the polymorph engine.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
Well, at least it would be a nice IPS or PVA panel instead of 3 ugly TN's.
Well for the 3monitor part you don't need 120hz so you could just use some nice IPS panels (eyefinity in portrait mode without IPS panels sounds like a not so great idea), so that point is rather moot, isn't it?

And the pixel pitch with a 46" monitor and 1920x1080 really sounds like a showstopper. I mean we're talking about a dot pitch of 0.53mm - compared to usual stuff around 0.233mm.

Also you get the extended FoV. Just using a 46" monitor just gets everything blurry, but you don't see more than using a 24" monitor for that..

Last edited:

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
IMO I'll take a single 46" display loaded up with AA over any of the bezel filled solutions.

The point of multi monitor gaming isn't only about trying to get a bigger screen by stitching smaller ones together, its for extended FOV gaming. You don't/can't get that with a single 46" screen.

Besides, why stop at one 46" screen when you can have three?

The bezels really aren't that big of a deal when your central screen is displaying exactly what you would see without the two flanking monitors to the sides.

Kakkoii

Jun 5, 2009
Agreed, I also think that 3d gaming in general has always been about Direct3D, the core of graphics technology and that's the way it should be. Tessellation and incorporating PhysX will simply not drive away users from Ati products. Some of the reasons include the lack of Dx11 titles, the lack of titles with considerable amount of PhysX and tessellation, and also the needless pressure encompassing developers to incorporate these new technologies. I'm sure developers worldwide are already having a tough time in keeping up with Dx11 technology alone.

Why are you bundling in Tessellation with PhysX?

PhysX is Nvidia's proprietary physics software. (Formerly Ageia's.)

Tessellation support is built into the DX11 cards from ATI and Nvidia. Any game that implements it with DirectX 11 will be able to accelerate it on any DX11 ATI or Nvidia cards.

So it's a bit stupid to use it in that argument of driving users away from ATI cards. In an earlier post you also called Tessellation a marketing gimmick. Which is also utterly ridiculous and shows you have little understanding of how tessellation works and the advantages it will give game developers, the leap in graphics quality it can and has brought.

And of course there aren't that many DX11 titles out yet. It's only roughly been half a year since the first DX11 cards were even out, and same goes for Windows 7 and DirectX 11 itself publicly. It takes time. But what GPU accelerated tessellation and displacement can make possible is a big step in the visual quality of our games. So for you to downplay it as a gimmick is ridiculous and annoying to people who actually care about technology.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Tessellation is just a marketing gimmick to me, i think Ati will hands down beat nvidia to it with the next gen cards, and also at the same time, the 5870 still dominates very much I think in real world performance.

Thanks for the link, the 3d Vision technology is once again a copy from Ati's Eyefinity technology, but honestly how many users are going to buy those shades to play a game? It won't work.

Nvidia should have been able to deliver a very powerful GPU but they couldn't, and instead focused on things like Physx and tesselation to just add more 'junk in the trunk' to a card, it's mostly marketing and I can't wait to see what Ati will have in store. (Ati engineers are probably LOLing at this right now, smiling and knowing who the leader is :) )

I think you're wrong and have no fucking clue what you're talking about. They weren't focusing on things like tesselation because they didn't create a standalone tesselator like ATI did, instead they decided to use their shader cores to handle it. Nor do I believe they've focus'd on physx because again it would be a similar thing. It's pretty common knowledge that NV built this card with the HPC market in mind. So like I said I think you're wrong and have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Well for the 3monitor part you don't need 120hz so you could just use some nice IPS panels (eyefinity in portrait mode without IPS panels sounds like a not so great idea), so that point is rather moot, isn't it?

And the pixel pitch with a 46" monitor and 1920x1080 really sounds like a showstopper. I mean we're talking about a dot pitch of 0.53mm - compared to usual stuff around 0.233mm.

Also you get the extended FoV. Just using a 46" monitor just gets everything blurry, but you don't see more than using a 24" monitor for that..

120Hz has nothing to do with anything. And everything else you said doesn't make sense. My point was that good IPS monitors are all pretty expensive and 3 of them would cost far more than a single large TV. And IMO all TN's are just gross. I'd rather my games look great on a single large display than just looking "ok" on 3 of them, seperated with borders, just so I can have a better FOV.

Sure, you can achieve a stupidly high resolution with eyefinity, but all I say to that is whoopty-do. Unless you plop down mega bucks for video cards you'll have to sacrifice some settings to achieve adequate performance. Combine that with the overall lack of quality in TN's and you'll get an extra-wide, extra-sharp, "ok" looking picture. But I know that won't bother many people.

Money aside (and we're talking a lot of $$$$ for gaming), if you got 3 nice panels you would still have borders which may or may not bother a person. As far video goes, since it's all I've seen span across multiple displays, it definitely bothers me.

Pixels. Since most people would probably sit farther away from a 46" screen than a 3 monitor eyefinity setup the difference would probably be insignififcant. Nobody is really complaning about console games are they? They look great for the most part and most of them are 720p. Pixels are not an issue for most people when talking about 1920x1080 native rez.

I guess by "blurry" you mean moving around all the time to get a view of what's around you. I see your point. But if you see an enemy or something on your side displays you have to turn your focus to them anyway, causing as you put it; blur. The point of eyefinity for gamers is greater immersion (diminished by the bezel seperating the screens and the fact that TN's are crap) and mainly to gain an edge in online gaming.

Eyefinity has it's place, but it's not meant for everyone and all purposes. But if good quality displays were affordable and borderless, eyefinity would be pretty much own all. This will take a long while, or won't happen at all leaving eyefinity for gaming a niche market.

Last edited:

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
All this looks great, just like ATI's new cards. How about some games though? 16xAA and AF at 2560x1600 is cool... if an engine newer than source or ut3 would come out. I guess its cool you can power super high res for 3+ screens but most can't afford 3 monitors/tv's. It WOULD be nice if a new $400 card would actually give you better graphics compared to last gen however, but somehow an 8800GT is still a viable gaming card.. Where the hell is the software! If I have to wait for PS4/Xbox 720 to come out... then I might as well just buy one of those.

I'll upgrade my SLI'd 9600 GSO's when there are a few games worth playing that require an upgrade. Something tells me SC2 isn't gonna need any more power though.

Tessellation is just a marketing gimmick to me, i think Ati will hands down beat nvidia to it with the next gen cards, and also at the same time, the 5870 still dominates very much I think in real world performance.

Thanks for the link, the 3d Vision technology is once again a copy from Ati's Eyefinity technology, but honestly how many users are going to buy those shades to play a game? It won't work.

Nvidia should have been able to deliver a very powerful GPU but they couldn't, and instead focused on things like Physx and tesselation to just add more 'junk in the trunk' to a card, it's mostly marketing and I can't wait to see what Ati will have in store. (Ati engineers are probably LOLing at this right now, smiling and knowing who the leader is :) )

wow, what?

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
The bezels are not really noticeable with eyefinity and I'm assuming surround view, because the other two monitors basically fill in your peripherals. It sounds gimmicky but you have to try it.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
A little video from NVIDIA.
Unigine Benchmark (with Fraps running) @ 1920x1080 and a little tease of 3D Vision Surround too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E&feature=sub

That is a pretty significant difference between 480 GTX and HD5870. In some cases we are seeing FPS twice as fast with Nvidia.

So even if the chip has higher than normal xtor leakage, the architecture is more than making up for it.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
What I got from this is that the 480 is only faster when the tessellation load is extreme and it can do more work than the ATi card can. And this seems to happen only on certain parts of this tessellation heavy benchmark? I don't think Unigine heaven is a realistic situation that we will see in real games as far as extreme tessellation loads. And even then the 480 is not that much better than a 4870.

Dec 30, 2004
wtf the official nvidia shirt has epaulettes? Wow they are with the times, except with a corporation mass produces a style for all their employees that kinda ruins the trend...

edit: 750MILLION PIXELS PER SECOND WOW!!!!!1111

If those benchmarks are true that is an impressive card. Looks like cheaper cards for all of us! If Nvidia can deliver...but they can't, it's going to be a paper launch or they're going to run out of stock really quickly.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2004

I thought the fermi design had already gone to silicon before ATi release their eye-infinity, so it aint a copy!

it wasn't designed in like it was for ATI, for nvidia they just flipped the switch on the driver and made it so. That's why you need 2 cards for Nvidia, and only 1 for ATI.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
If those benchmarks are true that is an impressive card. Looks like cheaper cards for all of us! If Nvidia can deliver...but they can't, it's going to be a paper launch or they're going to run out of stock really quickly.

I think Nvidia has hit a home run with this card.

It will be especially interesting to see how tessellation interacts with 3D viewing? Everything I have read indicates 3D TV sets are the upcoming trend.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
120Hz has nothing to do with anything. And everything else you said doesn't make sense. My point was that good IPS monitors are all pretty expensive and 3 of them would cost far more than a single large TV. And IMO all TN's are just gross.
First of all you need 120hz for 3d Surround (actually the 3d part) - and there we get the problem with bad panels. And no I didn't meant "you have to move more" when I said "blurry". I meant you got a dot pitch that is more than twice as large as normal, that's similar to using 1024x768 on a 24" LCD - ever tried that (actually that's still a good bit better)? Looks not exactly sharp.

So if you'd ask me between a 30" 2560x1600 monitor or a 46" 1920x1080 TV I'd always, prefer the monitor. The picture quality is in completely different leages - yeah you could try to move farther away, but that defeats the whole purpose of a larger display and you'd have to get really far away. So the comparison with consoles lacks.. at least I don't sit half a metre away from my TV when I play, or watch or do anything with it - and there's a good reason for that.

But I agree that quality LCDs are still far too expensive, for that to become a commodity, but new technology was always expensive, in a few years that could look different. Also don't forget that a lot of people already have at least one monitor so a 3x1 setup isn't that expensive actually.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Why are you bundling in Tessellation with PhysX?

PhysX is Nvidia's proprietary physics software. (Formerly Ageia's.)

Tessellation support is built into the DX11 cards from ATI and Nvidia. Any game that implements it with DirectX 11 will be able to accelerate it on any DX11 ATI or Nvidia cards.

So it's a bit stupid to use it in that argument of driving users away from ATI cards. In an earlier post you also called Tessellation a marketing gimmick. Which is also utterly ridiculous and shows you have little understanding of how tessellation works and the advantages it will give game developers, the leap in graphics quality it can and has brought.

And of course there aren't that many DX11 titles out yet. It's only roughly been half a year since the first DX11 cards were even out, and same goes for Windows 7 and DirectX 11 itself publicly. It takes time. But what GPU accelerated tessellation and displacement can make possible is a big step in the visual quality of our games. So for you to downplay it as a gimmick is ridiculous and annoying to people who actually care about technology.

Sorry about my overstatements, I really meant to say that I don't think tessellation is that big of a deal. It's as if looking at the 3d image and seeing some bumps or spikes pop out with tessellation on, I guess I really have to wait to see the impact it makes in games.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Sorry about my overstatements, I really meant to say that I don't think tessellation is that big of a deal. It's as if looking at the 3d image and seeing some bumps or spikes pop out with tessellation on, I guess I really have to wait to see the impact it makes in games.

If you don't think tessellation is a big deal, then I wonder what your opinion of anti-aliasing happens to be.

In some cases it appears the major difference between HD5770 and HD5850 is that one allows 4x AA at X FPS/X resolution and the other does not at X FPS/X resolution.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I think Nvidia has hit a home run with this card.

It will be especially interesting to see how tessellation interacts with 3D viewing? Everything I have read indicates 3D TV sets are the upcoming trend.

How can you think it's hit a homerun when there's no game benchmarks out???

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
If you don't think tessellation is a big deal, then I wonder what your opinion of anti-aliasing happens to be.

In some cases it appears the major difference between HD5770 and HD5850 is that one allows 4x AA at X FPS/X resolution and the other does not at X FPS/X resolution.

Fair enough, noted.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
How can you think it's hit a homerun when there's no game benchmarks out???

That heaven benchmark performance is pretty impressive for a card that is supposedly leaking a good amount its 220+ watts from its xtors :D