GTX 480 instead of 5850?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Here's the deal. I have an overclocked 5850 that's probably faster than a stock 5870 when its working. The problem is, I'm sick to death of ATI for my own reasons and would like to switch over to Nvidia while getting a performance boost for no more than $200ish. Would a gtx 480 give me this? Is it even possible at that price point?
It'd probably be best to discern what exactly your issues are and then find a solution that satisfies said criteria. The GTX 480 is generally an inferior product; it wasn't a good idea to buy one two years ago and that hasn't changed.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah the 480 was an inferior product, it used more power, was noticeably faster, and wasn't very quite but scaled well with overclocking and improved cooling.

That's why I bought a more expensive card that is louder, slower, uses more power this gen.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yeah the 480 was an inferior product, it used more power, was noticeably faster, and wasn't very quite but scaled well with overclocking and improved cooling.

That's why I bought a more expensive card that is louder, slower, uses more power this gen.

Well, at least you have 470 SLI.

Feb 19, 2009

Have u see his sig?? I don't think a gtx680 is even going to touch a 7970 at his OC, both insane on the core n ram. But u are right, its a huge power hog at that beastly OC.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Well, at least you have 470 SLI.
GTX470_SLI.jpg

VisceralM

Feb 1, 2005
Some good information here, as always. My issues with ATI/AMD are tied to their drivers honestly. Neither brand is perfect, but I'm personally just ready for a change.

Seeing as the game I'm "aiming" for is Guild Wars 2 and not out until August 28th, I think waiting to see if the new mid-level Nvidia card is out this month is probably what I'll do. My issues with the oc'd 5850 have never been performance, it's a great card, it's more about drivers issues and my general annoyance with AMD in general. So, I'll wait and see what the next few weeks hold. Thanks guys.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Have u see his sig?? I don't think a gtx680 is even going to touch a 7970 at his OC, both insane on the core n ram. But u are right, its a huge power hog at that beastly OC.

So massive it rakes in 80%+ boosts in performance over stock, stuff of legends right there. (But only in titles where you can disable tess)

The difference in performance of an overclocked 7970 on water, and a 680 on air is going to be a few percent, the difference in power draw is going to be at least +200 watts.

Pretty ironic for someone who claims the 480 was bad because it was 10-20% faster than the 5870 for 70 more watts used.

Last edited: