GTX 1080 went up in smoke.. have questions

SeductivePig

Dec 18, 2007
I bought this card back in mid 2016 at full retail - have never overclocked it, never messed with fan settings or anything. A couple days ago I bundled all the wiring at the back of my computer desk together in sleeves, and other than that, no change from what I had before. The wiring that I bundled was pretty much just mouse/keyboard/speakers/ethernet, the power wires were still free/separate.

Anyways I haven't even played any games for a couple months, just use my computer for watching movies and doing stuff online.

So one morning I go to turn it on, nothing turns on. I try unplugging the power and turning it back on, nothing. I try shutting off my psu and turning it back on, nothing. So then I open up my case and see what's up, thinking maybe somehow the power button wire got loose. Nope.

Then I unplug my video card, and reset my psu (on/off/on). I have power! Computer turns on, everything is fine. I shut off, plug in the GPU, then try turning back on, I get nothing. Then I unplug the power cables from my GPU (while the computer is off) and turn it on, the computer turns on, but then my gpu starts smoking (probably stupid of me, but I didn't know any better).

At that point I took out the gpu permanently and have just been using my computer with onboard graphics.

My question is, I know my product is under warranty and will probably be replaced free of charge, but should I be concerned with my PSU? As far as I know I have more than enough power, it's a solid Corsair modular PSU.

When I try to figure out where the smoke smell is coming from on my GPU, it's on the side that when mounted on the motherboard, points towards the CD drives. It's on the bottom of that side (closest to the motherboard when mounted) if that makes sense.

Appreciate any input.. thanks.

Guru

May 5, 2017
just return it to the store you bought it from, simple as that. If its under warranty what is the issue?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Sounds like a faulty card only... are there any burn marks where the card plugged into the PCIe slot? Or on the power connector?

If not I'd probably not worry too much.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Make sure you carefully inspect the socket and nearby traces on the MB before you put another card in there. Taking other components with it is always one of my bigger concerns when I let out the magic blue smoke.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Your PSU had your back, until you kept trying... :D

I would follow Midwayman's advice and do a very close inspection of the mobo and PCIE slot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
EVGA should offer you a full refund / swap for one of their "working" (updated) cards.

They had a cooler mis-design problem, that caused... youir issue. It happened to a bunch of people on the internet; EVGA basically recalled them. Guess that you didn't hear about it.

Reactions: Ranulf

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
EVGA should offer you a full refund / swap for one of their "working" (updated) cards.

They had a cooler mis-design problem, that caused... youir issue. It happened to a bunch of people on the internet; EVGA basically recalled them. Guess that you didn't hear about it.
Do you have a link for the recall? Was it only 1080 related? I have a 1070ti and a 1080ti from evga ...