GTX 1080 custom (non-Founders Edition) cards

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Jacob at EVGA has said they are working on a hybrid cooler for the FE card.

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2488947

Personally, if I was stepping up I would go with the ACX 3.0 card. Between the ACX 3.0 card and FE + hybrid cooling you would be looking at a ~$190 price difference (assuming the hybrid cooler is priced the same as the one for the 980 Ti).

Keep in mind that EVGA does have a non-FE blower card: 08G-P4-5180-KR. Although, I guess the issue is whether or not the FE and non-FE blowers match up to let you use it.

If you haven't seen this yet, it might help you make up your mind as to whether or not the price difference is worth it to you.

Gamers Nexus - Building a GTX 1080 Hybrid Pt 3: Performance Results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-3fi1ovAP0

Well, one of the benefits that I'd like is reducing the heat that's pushed out into the case. Although, I could probably help a bit with that by simply using more exhaust fans. I'm creating a rather high amount of positive pressure with 3 intake (2 front, 1 side) + 1 exhaust (rear). I could probably just toss one at the top, and see a nice change.

Overall, I'd like to have the lower temps (both GPU and case), but I'd hate to step up to the blower-style non-FE 1080, and be stuck with the less effective cooler. Right now, I'm in the queue for the ACX 3.0 model, but I can always cancel that request and resubmit one for any other model.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Even if AMD had rushed their bigger chip, it wouldn't do consumers much good as the yields would be terrible (Most of the rumors and information about Polaris 10 we have points to GloFo having issues) and the supplies just as limited as Pascal at the moment. What good would AMD paper launching a new GPU do anyone in reality?

They did not have to rush their bigger chip. It would be enough if they just released something comparable in size and performance to gtx1080 to put a pressure on Nvidia to price their products competitively. Since Polaris cant touch Pascal, Nvidia can price their cards as they see fit, since for people looking at upgrade at the high end there is no alternative, so they will buy anyway.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Keep in mind that EVGA does have a non-FE blower card: 08G-P4-5180-KR. Although, I guess the issue is whether or not the FE and non-FE blowers match up to let you use it.

Well, one of the benefits that I'd like is reducing the heat that's pushed out into the case. Although, I could probably help a bit with that by simply using more exhaust fans. I'm creating a rather high amount of positive pressure with 3 intake (2 front, 1 side) + 1 exhaust (rear). I could probably just toss one at the top, and see a nice change.

Overall, I'd like to have the lower temps (both GPU and case), but I'd hate to step up to the blower-style non-FE 1080, and be stuck with the less effective cooler. Right now, I'm in the queue for the ACX 3.0 model, but I can always cancel that request and resubmit one for any other model.

Yeah, all of those points make sense. I forgot about the non-FE blower.

It looks like the hybrid cooler for the 980 Ti fit EVGA's blower models, so I would think there is a high likelihood the GTX 1080 will be the same. They probably are using the reference PCB design.