GTX 1070 size?

bpmasher

Mar 19, 2016
I have fit a GTX 780 into my case, but if this card is larger than that, I will have trouble fitting it in. The alternative to this would be to get a 1060 with 6gb memory if that card is smaller.

A new case would be the best but I have limited budget on my upgrades.

bpmasher

Mar 19, 2016
It turns out the MSI gaming 1060 is the same size as the 1070 (I can probably fit it). I only need a card for 1080p at 60fps (just bought a 1080p 60hz monitor) so the reasonable solution is the 1060. I can get some money for my 780 after I buy a new card so I'm set for at least 18 months with this card upgrade. I can turn my MMOs settings to high at least (for 60fps) with this solution.

The only downside is that the 1060 is only about 40 percent faster than my 780 on paper, which seems weird since it's two generations higher than the 780. I paid good money for my 780 so I guess that's the explanation.

I can get a new fan for my cpu to overclock it a bit (Haswell is not too old yet), but in the long run I will need to upgrade my whole system after a couple of years. As the Haswell processors are still selling at the same price as when I got mine it seems it is still a viable gaming cpu. Just need to upgrade to 16gb RAM in the near future to go with the gpu upgrade. SSD will be another item to get.

It's worth doing some research before jumping right into buyers remorse.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You really can't look at the 1000 series as being 2 generations above the 700 series, or even the 600 series. From the 600, to the 900 series, they were all built with the same 28nm process. The 700 was nothing but a refresh of the 600 series, though the 780ti was the big die we never saw in the 600 series.

Anyways, the biggest benefit to the 1060 is the better DX12 support.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Never have to deal with Jet.com customer service, but their prices are really good with the 15% discount for the first three orders.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'd like to hear about the noise levels. I would assume that it wouldn't be a quiet card, but who knows.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It runs in 0db mode until 3d clocks are triggered, then it sticks to a baseline fanspeed that's roughly comparable to your typical 1060. It's definitely not a loud card even with a regular fan curve it's still quieter than the reference 1060 or 1070. It's an open design so it's basically like a single fan ACX cooler or a Nano cooler that vents air in every direction. Also it runs pretty cooler in my Silverstone SG13, generally around 65C on load during gaming. I'm sure with a even lower fan curve if you can tolerate higher temperatures it can be virtually silent.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I'd like to hear about the noise levels. I would assume that it wouldn't be a quiet card, but who knows.

Just got mine yesterday. I tested the Gigabyte ITX 1070 out last night on an open bench for a short period of itme. The coil whine is actually louder than the fan is at 50% fan speeds while under load. A very cool and quiet card. I'm pretty picky about coil whine (sent back 3 Fury Nano's and an Asus 970 Strixx) and the coil whine isn't that loud or annoying. I'm sure once installed in a case and sitting at least 3 feet back I won't hear it at all. For the price I think this card is amazing. This is where Maxwell 2 tech and TSMC process shine. It's kind of silly to make these giant 1060/1070's when they only sip power.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Small update,

I should mention the DPC latency is a real issue with these cards. I noticed great framerates in The Witcher 3 but experienced some abnormal "hitching" and what felt like real bad input lag. I installed latencymon and sure enough the Nvidia driver was measuring up to 5500. I uninstalled the latest WHQL drivers and installed the hotfix driver. This reduced the issue dramatically but the Nvidia driver still measured around 500 - 600ms. The hitching and input latency in The Witcher 3 appeared to be gone but I haven't done any extensive testing. Just throwing this out there. It's an awesome card but still has minor DPC issues (500ms is still pretty bad) and you should know this before buying one. Maybe Nvidia will fix the issue permanently in a future driver update but they've had a few months now so I'm not so sure.

For comparison my ITX Asus 970 and reference Rx 480 (both of which make no coil whine) do not suffer from DPC latency. Tested all three cards in the exact same system using DDU each time the cards were replaced.