GTG - 2ms vs 5ms vs 7ms- gaming shooters

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
input lag aside.

in regard to gray-to-gray ghosting. looking for links to "objective" side by side demonstration / review.

not looking for opinions (including expert opinions) - afterall it still an opinion.

looking for clear facts so the end user (I, us) can make my own determinations.

a quick question. what is the an old school professional grade trinitron CRT's speed? perhap less than 1ms.

Nov 26, 2005
I had 2 27" 2ms 120Hz LCDs
Asus VG 278H
Acer HN274bmiid

I ran them side by side out of the back of a GTX 670 and ran Unreal Tournament III. The Acer displayed terrible stutter/ghosting. But it seems the Asus has some input lag to it IMO. I've searched for reviews on the Asus VG278H but there is not ONE around that test for input lag besides a german reviewer and his testing methods are questionable. I would reference TFT Central for more accurate reviews on monitors. The whole 1 review thing on that monitor is suspicious to me.

Last edited:

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Sorry for not having an objective comparison, but I can tell a bit of a difference between one of the Asus 2ms monitors and, say, a budget laptop screen. I can tell a LARGE difference between the Asus and my 42" LED TV. The TV has a noticeable amount of ghosting in comparison. It's weird to play on it at first if you're used to a decent LCD monitor.

Now, when I'm on my Asus 120Hz monitor (also 2ms), I get the best picture. Super smooth motions and little ghosting.

I know there are some really good LCD monitors when it comes to response times and ghosting. I think some are even from Asus. I just don't know what they are on the top of my head, but I think I've seen videos of them comparing fighting games on different monitors for ghosting, response time, input lag, etc.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
for some reason, all of the led backlit monitors I have tried had horrible ghosting no matter what ms rating it carried. even the 2ms screens I used looked like blurry crap compared to my old Dell and Acer lcd screens.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
a quick question. what is the an old school professional grade trinitron CRT's speed? perhap less than 1ms.
Its on the order of nanoseconds or even picoseconds for the faster phosphers.

There are very few websites that review LCD monitors well. I believe TFTCentral may be one of the biggest reviewers that show objective information.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
after posting up this thread. I did find TFT central. very objective information. too bad they only are able to review a hand full of selected panels.

-----

i currently have a samsung xl2370 and want to add matching dual monitor for more desktop space.

a refurbish 2ms TN samsung xl2370 (new is not available anymore) is the same price as a new 5ms e-IPS asus vs239h-p. both about $175 each.

i could buy the refurbish samsung to compliment my current samsung
or
i could buy two new asus and sell the samsung (street price ~$150).

i guess the real question is. can a low-grade 5ms e-IPS compare with a mid-grade 2ms TN?

a little history. i recently inherited this samsung when my dinosaurs pro-grade 21" trinitron crt took its last breathe. so still adjusting to all this: lcd poor color reproduction, lcd slow input lag and lcd poor response ghosting. i do play FPS.

max budget is $1000 for both monitor. prefer budget is $500 for both monitor.