GTA V - very low fps outside of city on Gtx 980.

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
Hello.Hi. I have a question about GTA V performance. I am using all maxed details, even on advanced options high resolution shadows on , and all sliders maxed. And Msaa 2x, Txaa ON, 1920x1080, Nvidia Soft Shadows, Grass Ultra.
In city are ok, sometimes 49 to 70 fps+ up.
But when i am driving in roads outside city i have drops to 30-35 fps. Which options are too demanding for Gtx 980 then ?
I am using 350.12 WHQL and cpu 4790k.

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
So i used grass from ULTRA to V.HIGH, but even that i have dips in country to 40-45 fps. Is this because i have on too high resolution shadows and max sliders?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Grass settings certainly drag your frame rate.Adjust till you get to where you want your frames.I nearly double if not triple my frames up on the hills putting those to Normal but it looks so amazing i just keep it on Ultra.:)

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
res is 1920 x 1080, even without any AA i have dips to 43 fps with enabled high res shadows. Is this options cause huge fps drops?

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
res is 1920 x 1080, even without any AA i have dips to 43 fps with enabled high res shadows. Is this options cause huge fps drops?

Get those dips all the way down to my t.vs native resolution of 768p on my 970 with 4x MSAA and with it disabled .I have gone as low as 18fps with Ultra Grass enabled up on the mountains.It was for a second or two.Simply adjust it to very high or even high and watch your frames increase.

DSR and resolutions up to 1080p play nearly the same outside the city for me without MSAA as long as Ultra Grass is enabled.4x MSAA at 768p and 0x msaa 1080p benchmark basically the same numbers.

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
Even without AA and grass to V.HIGH ( not ULTRA ) i have sometimes dips to 43 fps outside city ( near tress ) when i have enabled on advanced settings advanced resolution shadows on and sliders to medium. Is this normal?

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
Hello.Hi. I have a question about GTA V performance. I am using all maxed details, even on advanced options high resolution shadows on , and all sliders maxed. And Msaa 2x, Txaa ON, 1920x1080, Nvidia Soft Shadows, Grass Ultra.
In city are ok, sometimes 49 to 70 fps+ up.
But when i am driving in roads outside city i have drops to 30-35 fps. Which options are too demanding for Gtx 980 then ?
I am using 350.12 WHQL and cpu 4790k.

It was mentioned on Reddit that some of the outside city scenery was pretty harsh on framerate, so this is likely normal, just fyi.

Also, check if the loader is chewing your CPU time:
http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/32p08l/how_to_lower_your_cpu_usage/
And check the *.bat file a bit down the page.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Another GTX 980 owner reporting in, I can confirm that most of my framerate drops happen outside the city and in the more rural areas of the game. As mentioned above, turning grass down from "Ultra" to "Very High" is essential, unless you're using a multi-GPU rig. Maybe try turning the shadows down a notch too.

GTAV only came out the other day, so there's a chance there will be a couple game patches and driver optimizations in the future.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Another GTX 980 owner reporting in, I can confirm that most of my framerate drops happen outside the city and in the more rural areas of the game. As mentioned above, turning grass down from "Ultra" to "Very High" is essential, unless you're using a multi-GPU rig. Maybe try turning the shadows down a notch too.

GTAV only came out the other day, so there's a chance there will be a couple game patches and driver optimizations in the future.

I hope so.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I had similar issues. I ended up lowering grass to High and turning off MSAA. You can still keep the other bells and whistles on with a much smoother experience.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Disable AA minus FXAA, disable anything in the advanced options, reduce Grass to High. That should fix most of the dips.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
The fact is that this game, while very well optimized, is one of the most demanding games out there. Trying to get 60FPS is clost to a Crysis-like situation.

Last edited:

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
I have only ever used Normal for Grass and High for Textures. With these settings the game is buttery smooth and completely "hitch" free. Settings Textures to Ultra introduces some tiny tiny hitches (stutter) now and then. Not sure I want to know how awesome Ultra Grass is. :)

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
My fps really go down if i am outside city , only in forest ( or just near tress ) .I am getting there 43-46 fps. I even change GRASS from ULTRA to V.HIGH , I disabled Advanced resolution shadows, and sliders are in medium on advanced options. Other options are maxed , MSAA 2x, TXAA. Is this normal? Why vegetation is really demanding even without GRASS maxed out and disabled advanced resolution shadows.