[GSMArena] Sony has highest ASP for Android Phones

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
But the bigger question is how many are they selling? You can barely get a Sony handset in the US. I'm not sure how it is in other countries as far as availability goes. Samsung is only slightly behind them in profit ASP, but I'm sure Samsung's volume dwarfs Sony's.

Then again, the X and X performance look pretty nice. Let's see how well they market them. I hear people repeatedly clamor on about their ideal Android device being a 5" screen, top-of-the-line SoC etc and the performance has it.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
This diagram from the article is more interesting:

gsmarena_005.jpg

Doesn't matter if they are making decent margin if their customer base shrinks to zero. I'm sure the ASP was high for their VAIO line, as well.

I'm sure there's an argument to be made for premium-priced Android handsets (Sony does make nice phones) and focusing on their home market, but it won't mean much if they don't survive.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
This diagram from the article is more interesting:

gsmarena_005.jpg

Doesn't matter if they are making decent margin if their customer base shrinks to zero. I'm sure the ASP was high for their VAIO line, as well.

I'm sure there's an argument to be made for premium-priced Android handsets (Sony does make nice phones) and focusing on their home market, but it won't mean much if they don't survive.

And I'll bet that line from Samsung to Huawei gets even bigger since a good chunk of the 6P sales have come from early 2016 (which isn't part of that data set yet). Maybe the S7 will be successful enough to stop the bleed though, who knows.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Consumers are starting to catch on...

The funny thing about Huawei is that their flagship isn't even sold here in north America. I'm sure a big part of that is some pact between the big boys in not allowing the mate8 to be released by the US carriers.