Growing grass in seedling trays then transferring to lawn- good idea? How to fix bare grass spots

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Dog has generated several burnt spots of grass in my yard. Is the most effective way to patch these spots up to plant grass seedlings in a tray then transferring them when they germinate and grow a little? I've tried just putting seed directly down on the areas after clearing up the dead spots but it never seems to work right, and the grass mowers usually rip up the areas before they get sturdy.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You have to water the seeding area at least 3 -4 times a day, for at least 2 weeks for the seeds to germinate. (Bluegrass needs 30 days according to internet) Growing the seeds in a tray not necessarily will work because you need sunlight.

You need to bury the seeds with 1/4" of soil so the seeds can keep the moisture and won't be washed away. Better use a hose watering timer and a standalone sprinkler that can be placed at the area where you need it.

You also just have to tell the mower not to mow the area where you just put seeds down or use spikes and ropes to mark the area.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually never crossed my mind to do that. I find the germination process is what takes the longest for grass and it has to be constantly watered. That and birds get into it, cats pee in it and so on. Doing it in a controlled environment will probably give better results. I even wonder if you could just dump the grown seedlings and spread them with a rake if they would recatch and survive. Would be the easiest way to go.

Fluorescent fixtures would probably work as grow lamps too, you would put it right up the the bulb, the heat would help too.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I agree that growing from seeds is hard. Different seeds take different times. Weather & temperature matters a lot too. You never want to seed in the hot summer or cold winter. So Fall & Spring is the best period to grow grass.

You want to take a look at the weather forecast for next 2 weeks that range between 60 to 85 that have some sunlight. Ryegrasses take at least 10 days. Bermuda grasses take at least 15 days and Bluegrass at least 30 days. And you need constant watering. Germination require perfect condition. Sometimes the germination won't happen this year, but it probably will germinate next year when the condition becomes perfect.

If you want the lawn repair itself, you need species like Bermuda, Bluegrass or St Augustine. If what you have is one of the above, you can repair the lawn like the following video.

Ryegrass or Fescue won't repair themselves.

Buying sod from local store will be a lot faster, but the grasses you got very likely will look different from what you already have.

==

The reality is, there is no easy way to fix a lawn, it takes time and some effort.

Last edited:

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Most landscapers and nurseries sell sod by the piece ;)

This might be the easier path...
I agree that growing from seeds is hard. Different seeds take different times. Weather & temperature matters a lot too. You never want to seed in the hot summer or cold winter. So Fall & Spring is the best period to grow grass.

You want to take a look at the weather forecast for next 2 weeks that range between 60 to 85 that have some sunlight. Ryegrasses take at least 10 days. Bermuda grasses take at least 15 days and Bluegrass at least 30 days. And you need constant watering. Germination require perfect condition. Sometimes the germination won't happen this year, but it probably will germinate next year when the condition becomes perfect.

If you want the lawn repair itself, you need species like Bermuda, Bluegrass or St Augustine. If what you have is one of the above, you can repair the lawn like the following video.

Ryegrass or Fescue won't repair themselves.

Buying sod from local store will be a lot faster, but the grasses you got very likely will look different from what you already have.

==

The reality is, there is no easy way to fix a lawn, it takes time and some effort.
Right now I don't care if the grasses look different as long as there are no weeds. I had 4 trees ripped up and had to plant new seed there this year and those already look different from what i have. plus the previous owners seemed to have used different grass types in different areas. In general it's really weed free, but it's not uniform and i don't care because it's overall the yard is in good condition.

I guess my bigger question is how do i get the dog to stop getting the lawn all burnt up... i tried those rock things and they don't work. There are also some spots where he pees in and it seems like the grass is immune in certain areas. And unfortunately, he's not my dog, and he's too old and dumb to train to pee in a certain area and his owner couldn't bother to train it properly.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I also have different types of grass in different areas. Under the tree or shady area - ryegrass, sunny area - bermuda.

So the dog is from your neighbor? The dog poop/urine thing is hard to control unless you have some kind of fence.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I also have different types of grass in different areas. Under the tree or shady area - ryegrass, sunny area - bermuda.

So the dog is from your neighbor? The dog poop/urine thing is hard to control unless you have some kind of fence.
Dog is my mother in laws, who spends alot of time here. and to break stereotypes, aside from her dog being a PITA, she's a great person and helping us out right now w/ our kids.

Reactions: WelshBloke

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Dog is my mother in laws, who spends alot of time here. and to break stereotypes, aside from her dog being a PITA, she's a great person and helping us out right now w/ our kids.
Dog usually poop / urine within half hour after meal.

Ask her to feed the dog inside the house then let the dog out after meal. Watch the dog where it poop /urine. Pick the poop up and use a garden hose to wash the area.