Grow tent under construction...finally

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
So, thinking about how much everything will cost you, how much money do you think you are going to save by growing your own? Or are you going to sell as well?
i've had the tent and lights/filter for a couple years now...they already paid for itself over the last 5 grows.

I don't smoke a whole lot anyways...family and friends will smoke the majority of it i'd imagine.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i've had the tent and lights/filter for a couple years now...they already paid for itself over the last 5 grows.

I don't smoke a whole lot anyways...family and friends will smoke the majority of it i'd imagine.

#1 friend = zinfamous?

Reactions: Mayne

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
if I could ship it legally to you I would zinfamous. in a damn heart beat.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
pffft. that never stopped me before.

it stops me, i'm too pretty for jail. i tore down my tent when the cops kicked down my bedroom door looking for my nephew. That was over a year ago. I am super paranoid about going to jail.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
they are feminized auto flowers...so no need to turn off the lights...should be done growing in about 4 weeks or maybe 5.

*edited to add*
just checked plants..2 of them are flowering now..time to switch to new nutrients Bloom A/B and drop the magcal.
That is really cool! It has been close to 15 years since I last tried to grow Cannabis and if I remember right at the time that was not a thing or was harder to come by here in Illinois. I had to change the lighting schedule in order to get them to start budding then go through my plants and weed out the males so I wouldn't get as many seeds.

I'm in the horticulture trade and it blows my mind every time I go to a trade show and see the advancements made when it comes to Cannabis production on a commercial scale. From lighting, hydroponics, IMP, and automation it is really impressive. You can definitely see where the new money is coming from in the industry and where the innovation is because of it.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
That is really cool! It has been close to 15 years since I last tried to grow Cannabis and if I remember right at the time that was not a thing or was harder to come by here in Illinois. I had to change the lighting schedule in order to get them to start budding then go through my plants and weed out the males so I wouldn't get as many seeds.

I'm in the horticulture trade and it blows my mind every time I go to a trade show and see the advancements made when it comes to Cannabis production on a commercial scale. From lighting, hydroponics, IMP, and automation it is really impressive. You can definitely see where the new money is coming from in the industry and where the innovation is because of it.

My brother and I would love to see one of these trade shows...they must have those in Toronto? I would love to sit down with you sometime and pick your brain about horticulture.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
My brother and I would love to see one of these trade shows...they must have those in Toronto? I would love to sit down with you sometime and pick your brain about horticulture.
I'm sure they have one in Toronto it is a large enough city but at least here in the US in order to register to gain admission you have to submit documentation proving that you own a greenhouse/garden center, nursery, ect or are part of an educational institution with a focus on horticulture. I guess what I'm trying to say is not just anyone can register and walk right in at least here in the US. Canada might have a different registration process.

The big one here in the US, at least on the east coast and mid west, is called Cultivate. The last time I attended was back in '16 but because it is a long drive to Columbus OH I cant make the trip every year. When I was there it seemed that the focus of the show had shifted away from smaller production greenhouses like mine to large scale operations so I don't know if I'll go back.

Anyway, feel free to PM me anytime you want to ask a question or just shoot the shit about plants. I will tell you though that my focus is not on Cannabis production but on annual, perennial, and woody shrubs with a concentration on flowering annuals because that is what I specialize in growing and selling.

Last edited:

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'm sure they have one in Toronto it is a large enough city but at least here in the US in order to register to gain admission you have to submit documentation proving that you own a greenhouse/garden center, nursery, ect or are part of an educational institution with a focus on horticulture. I guess what I'm trying to say is not just anyone can register and walk right in at least here in the US. Canada might have a different registration process.

The big one here in the US, at least on the east coast and mid west, is called Cultivate. The last time I attended was back in '16 but because it is a long drive to Columbus OH I cant make the trip every year. When I was there it seemed that the focus of the show had shifted away from smaller production greenhouses like mine to large scale operations so I don't know if I'll go back.

Anyway, feel free to PM me anytime you want to ask a question or just shoot the shit about plants. I will tell you though that my focus is not on Cannabis production but on annual, perennial, and woody shrubs with a concentration on flowering annuals because that is what I specialize in growing and selling.

Any knowledge is a good thing. I can only watch so many yt vids about growing cannabis before it all starts blurring together..would be nice to actually learn from an expert about growing.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Weekly update.. Month 2.

g3jm1lG.jpg
pigutsr.jpg

I don't want to brag but damn! these plants are looking very nice. 1 more month unil harvest.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I am thinking starting to grow cbd plants for cbd oil. probably more beneficial for me and my friends/family. I'll still have a plant just for smoking though.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I am pinching off the fan leaves that are covering the buds...the plan is to just turn the light off in the tent and hang them in there until they are dry enough to put in mason jars.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
They look fantastic Mayne! It seems your fertilizer regimen worked very well because they look great. You are a very skilled grower and I can't wait to see the pics of your harvest.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
They look fantastic Mayne! It seems your fertilizer regimen worked very well because they look great. You are a very skilled grower and I can't wait to see the pics of your harvest.

Thanks man. I learned everything from my brother.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Is that a homemade CO2 jug I see hanging at the top there?

I've been hitting youtube pretty hard for garden ideas since spring is upon us. From what I gather it's only mature plants that benefit from it, that seedlings and such don't and that it will make no difference. Sticking to my tried and true methods for pre-garden time for the most part, although at some point I might go hydro. Looks like it could simplify things a bit, and those growth rates are hard to argue with. Fast, strong 'feet,' then into soil to mature in the proper humic acid rich soil environment.

This season is also when I do my leaf experiment. Going to grow some veg in nothing but hardwood leaf compost, which supposedly is even more nutrient dense and tastier to plants than worm castings. Wil compare what comes out of that to what I get from basic organic garden soil + occasional compost tea.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
god damn, son. when does the odor from those things become unavoidable? I think you did set up a decent ventilation system, right?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
of course I got a good filter set up. kage69 its not a homemade co2 bottle..actually it takes packets that I dilute in a 1 litre bottle and shake it up to release the co2...but it doesn't last long the packets..so i stopped...did use a bag of some sort of mushroom mix a while ago. I don't know...now i just open my tent and talk to my plants ..it seems to work the same.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
it stops me, i'm too pretty for jail. i tore down my tent when the cops kicked down my bedroom door looking for my nephew. That was over a year ago. I am super paranoid about going to jail.
isnt weed legal in canada?