Group Threatens to Sue VA over Nazi Symbols in National Veterans Cemeteries

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

The detaining authorities shall ensure that prisoners of war who have died in captivity are honourably buried, if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they belonged, and that their graves are respected, suitably maintained and marked so as to be found at any time.

I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that those graves should be left alone.
They were POWs in our care who served their country and died for their country. The graves should reflect their uniform and allegiance at the time they died in our care.

Jan 25, 2011
I don’t know that your opinion would be that unpopular. I agree. These aren’t monuments to enemies of the United States. It’s three soldier‘s headstones who served their country and were laid to rest. If we can unite in death what chance do we have in life?

Reactions: Thump553
Mar 11, 2004
I don't know, I find those gravestones to be somewhat bizarre. I could see how it might be pertinent to be that specific in some instances (where they change the official name of the country), but they easily could have just put their names and "they served their country, the German Reich" and remark about them being POW. I think that'd be respectful. Putting Nazi symbols and "he served the Fuhrer..." is just...weird. They can remark about him being a Nazi in official records, there's no reason they need to put it on the gravestone.

Reactions: FaaR

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Leave the gravestones but remove the Nazi symbols, or put up signage that provides context. Most of the US bases in Germany were on former Nazi installations, and you could see remnants of where all the Nazi symbols got removed.