Ground venison. What do I do with it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drinkmorejava, Jan 2, 2013.

1. CurseTheSky

CurseTheSky Diamond Member

My vote goes to chili or sausage. We just had venison burgers on Sunday, and while they were ok, there's just something about a burger that isn't right without beef. Last year my mother-in-law made venison chili, which was awesome.

2. EvilYoda

EvilYoda Lifer

Chili vote here - a local golf course's restaurant has venison chili when it's during/after hunting season.

3. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

"processing plant"?

Any butcher who adds that much lard is ruining it. Usually, it's because the hunter didn't know any better and asked for it (and was charged for it.) Except for hamburgers or when processing it into sausage, hot dogs, etc., there's absolutely no reason to add even a drop of lard to it. For chili, etc., pure ground venison that's about 98-99% fat free is incredible.

4. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

i find pure venison too dry. You need to add some fat, just not crazy amounts.

I miss my Uncle's moose burgers. :(

5. Baked

Baked Lifer

Damn, makes me wish I got some venison so I can make my killer chili with it. Yum!

6. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

Mix it with some Beef and make Meatloaf.

7. tcsenter

tcsenter Lifer

I would recommend mixing/combining it with another ground/processed meat. e.g. ground beef or sausage. A friend of mine makes a few things including chili with a combination of venison and Italian sausage or venison and lean ground beef (reground together). Rocks.

Sounds like it was some sort of processor mistake. i.e. Hey man, there was a mix-up with the lard when we were doing your stuff. Instead of a tablespoon, a whole cup was added.

8. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Only for making burgers. Chili, meat in spaghetti sauce, etc., it's perfect. Though, when browning, you need to add a little bit of water to the frying pan to keep it from really drying out.