Grocery stores nickel and diming us by overcharging

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
USAA cuts me 30% off for their little spyware. I take it, that's not an insignificant amount of scratch and I'm almost always at 100/100 or whatever.
The one I was working on was only 10% and the premium can go up whenever they think you drive aggressively. And there is no cap on the increase.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
FelixDeCat: rather than this unfounded theory that because other people driving EVs somehow drives up your insurance rates theory I would suggest your real problem is owning a car that has high insurance rates because of excessively high theft rates provenly caused by a manufacturer's design flaw. It is precisely because of the car you own (Hyundai Tuscon) that your rates are high. It is quite likely you didn't know of that problem when you bought the car but it is an unfortunate fact that can't be ignored.

On the off chance you don't know about this theft issue (it's been in the news a lot) I strongly suggest you google it immediately. You may also want to research whether shutting off the Blue Link services increases your risk of theft and/or gives the manufacturer an out for any liability for the theft of your car. I don't know if it does but I can see that problem arising.

What others said above about monthly service charges always (or nearly always) being the most expensive route is certainly true in my experience and I always check the effects of various bill payment strategies every bill I have. Over the years I have never personally encountered an insurer that didn't tack on service fees for monthly installments (they almost always have extra fees for anything short of PIF for the full policy term).

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think if you focused a bit more on your critical thinking skills and implementation thereof your life would be cheaper and more stress free.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
FelixDeCat: rather than this unfounded theory that because other people driving EVs somehow drives up your insurance rates theory I would suggest your real problem is owning a car that has high insurance rates because of excessively high theft rates provenly caused by a manufacturer's design flaw. It is precisely because of the car you own (Hyundai Tuscon) that your rates are high. It is quite likely you didn't know of that problem when you bought the car but it is an unfortunate fact that can't be ignored.

On the off chance you don't know about this theft issue (it's been in the news a lot) I strongly suggest you google it immediately. You may also want to research whether shutting off the Blue Link services increases your risk of theft and/or gives the manufacturer an out for any liability for the theft of your car. I don't know if it does but I can see that problem arising.

What others said above about monthly service charges always (or nearly always) being the most expensive route is certainly true in my experience and I always check the effects of various bill payment strategies every bill I have. Over the years I have never personally encountered an insurer that didn't tack on service fees for monthly installments (they almost always have extra fees for anything short of PIF for the full policy term).

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think if you focused a bit more on your critical thinking skills and implementation thereof your life would be cheaper and more stress free.
So far I've come to the conclusion that EVs are a factor but not the only factor .. and definitely not the biggest. Its simply price gouging which Im sure comes as a shock.

And as mentioned above Ive been paying annually for very long time.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Over the years I have never personally encountered an insurer that didn't tack on service fees for monthly installments (they almost always have extra fees for anything short of PIF for the full policy term).

I know of one. USAA does not charge more if you pay in installments. I've never used it, but they always offer me the option and the total amount of payments equals the same amount as I pay in one lump sum.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
So far I've come to the conclusion that EVs are a factor but not the only factor .. and definitely not the biggest. Its simply price gouging which Im sure comes as a shock.

And as mentioned above Ive been paying annually for very long time.

From my one minute google search the increased Kia/Hyundai thefts began in 2000 and the company recently agreed to a 200 million class action settlement (which I don't think had any EV manufacturers as defendants) The real facts are KIa/Hyundai thefts went up over 1000% between 2020 and 2023. Stick by your feels if you must and throw away your money.

I know of one. USAA does not charge more if you pay in installments. I've never used it, but they always offer me the option and the total amount of payments equals the same amount as I pay in one lump sum.

I've talked about insurance (mostly home but also car) with hundreds if not thousands of people when I practiced real estate law. USAA stands alone in customer devotion from my unscientific sampling by a huge margin. I'm surprised there is at least one insurer that doesn't have those fees but it doesn't surprise me that USAA is the one.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I've talked about insurance (mostly home but also car) with hundreds if not thousands of people when I practiced real estate law. USAA stands alone in customer devotion from my unscientific sampling by a huge margin. I'm surprised there is at least one insurer that doesn't have those fees but it doesn't surprise me that USAA is the one.
Yeah they're pretty fantastic across the board. I'd recommend them to anyone who has the chance at taking them, for any service they offer. Very rarely will you have reason to go outside USAA once you're in.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah I tried progressive and decided their “safe” driving turned one into a rolling roadblock who can’t react to traffic without getting dinged.

TLDR it was bullshit and encouraged driving that was actually dangerous in SE Michigan

Yeah good luck if you actually go the 55mph speed limit on the highways around Detroit where everyone else is still doing 80

I read an article in the Google news feed, it was specifically about Chevrolet, selling driving data to companies that then sell it to Insurers.

I need to get my 03 Explorer back on the road.

They're just the ones who were caught so far

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I've never had one that didn't charge extra for instalments.

So put the whole amount on a CC, get the 2%, and save the monthy service charge for installments.
I get a new CC ever year just for my car insurance. I'll get ~$700 back from the sign up bonus

Reactions: Pens1566