Grim Dawn

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's finally available now (November 5th) on Steam.

For those of you whom might not be aware of it, it's a Titan Quest/Diablo style action RPG (the lead gameplay designer is from the Titan Quest team). If any of you want to post your first impressions that would be appreciated. I for one will most likely buy it at the end of the week.

There's a 10% off special promotion going for it right now until November 12th.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It's still at the Early Access alpha stage though, and apparently still crashy.

I was in the KickStarter for this but didn't pay extra for early access so I can't try it myself.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I played this a few weeks/months ago. It was not particularly impressive, but its still in a very much unfinished state and only the first act is available (gets you to level 15-20ish in one run through, though you can farm xp to get to a higher level). Several classes are still missing (which is more significant than in most RPGs since you have the option of combining two classes, much like Titan Quest). Itemization is somewhat bland - this is likely due largely to the low level cap. The skills are fairly boring, but again the low level cap means you only get a few of the basic skills and don't get much into combinations and what not. Some major game systems are not even in yet, such as crafting.

Graphics and animations are decent enough for alpha stage, but I hope there are plans to improve them before release. Can't speak to the sound as I listen to my own music when playing games.

I think it will be a good game eventually, for ARPG lovers. I love the dual class concept and wish more games did it. There are some hints that the itemization, once fleshed out a bit more, will have some nifty concepts. But for anyone just looking for a fun game to play, I recommend waiting a while on this. There isn't much game to play yet, and what is there is not very polished. Get your ARPG fix from Path of Exile for the time being.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
van helsing looked PRETTY good for an ARPG

I had forgotten about this game, gonna keep an eye for it now that its on steam

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Damnit I thought you meant the game had been released. I only got the game via KS not any alpha/beta access.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Damnit I thought you meant the game had been released. I only got the game via KS not any alpha/beta access.

It has been "released", that's what I meant. It's obviously not "finished", but it's released. Nowadays we rarely ever get a "finished" released game anyhow, alphas, betas, it's getting common.

@ Wardawg1001

Thanks for that info.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Anyone else? I am really curious how good the game is... And Van Helsing looks awesome IMO. Don't get the negative comment above. Looks and plays better than Diablo 3.

Van Helsing is only crippled by lack of characters. Otherwise it could easily rival other games in the genre.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Grim Dawn is really pretty darn good. Feels very Titan Questy which is definitely not a bad thing. Looks really good with all settings cranked up to the max at 1920x1080.

Storyline (as it is in Alpha at present) takes me approximately 6 hours to complete with a new character at present after running it a few times. I'd guess at least 3 acts so at least 18 hours of gameplay for one character at the most basic difficulty level.

It also has some nice secret areas which won't always spawn on a map each time it is loaded up. Very sneaky and interesting to find all of these little cubby holes, some of which have some very nasty monsters.

Well worth the entry price. Definite must buy for a hack n slasher imo.

As for Van Helsing, to me it looked okay and felt very flat. Not something I'd be recommending unless someone had exhausted their gaming catalogue and it was on sale.

MalazanEmpire

Nov 5, 2013
www.digitalgambit.com
I remember Van Helsing getting a lot better after 10 patches or so. Really loved the game, but i have not played arpg since torchlight 2 at that time and maybe that factored in. I loved the setting and the enemies. It takes balls to create a game with all those tropes and silly quest stories. It is a nice game to pick up whenever you see a price drop.

Grim Dawn looks promising, but it also looks bad in its current state compared to PoE for example. Having said that, i am supporting the game personally and would love if it achieved success. Having more choices in my gaming sessions is not a bad thing in any case.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Just picked this up the other night on Steam, and I'm not very impressed so far.

It's basically Titan Quest on a indie budget. Same character building (not a bad thing), but after playing Path of Exile, that old TQ dual class system doesn't seem as robust as it used to. You also regen life super-fast; get near death, run away for ten seconds til you are fully healed... was that in TQ?

Only the first two acts are in, but it play exactly like Titan Quest, which is good and bad. Right now I'm thinking PoE is the better game by far.

Once the full game is done, and multiplayer is in, it might be better, but it seems pretty feature rich now, and I doubt much will change.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I reinstalled the game this weekend and i'm hooked. Game is awesome, dark, gritty and the gameplay is fun. IT's sweating TQ all over the place but for me that's a good thing, I love the franchise.

I "pre-ordered" it when it was still a project, bought a Legendary Key a long time ago. I'm really glad I did, great game.

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
Yeah I have this. It's more Helsing than Diablo , but I've not played too much of it yet. I'll sit down and have a proper go off it in a few weeks after I complete DS2.

Still waiting on the ARPG that is better than Diablo 3 though

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah I have this. It's more Helsing than Diablo , but I've not played too much of it yet. I'll sit down and have a proper go off it in a few weeks after I complete DS2.

Still waiting on the ARPG that is better than Diablo 3 though

Give Path of Exile or Marvel Heroes a try.
Those run circles around D3 for me...

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
as a former titanquest fan i look forward to it, but im gonna wait for release to see how it does

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
50% off on the steam sale get it while it's hot, only 2 hours 47 minutes left D:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Disregard my previous post about this game. I gave it another shot, and now have 60 hours played.

It's not perfect, but it can be fun, especially if you are an ARPG junky like myself.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Disregard my previous post about this game. I gave it another shot, and now have 60 hours played.

It's not perfect, but it can be fun, especially if you are an ARPG junky like myself.

welp im in ;)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
When oh when will they finish this and will they have any energy left to continue when it is done ?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
When oh when will they finish this and will they have any energy left to continue when it is done ?

They will finish it when its finished, and yes they should. They don't promise dates or specifics because people get pissed when deadlines are not met, but from what I can tell updates occur frequently.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
They will finish it when its finished, and yes they should. They don't promise dates or specifics because people get pissed when deadlines are not met, but from what I can tell updates occur frequently.

Not only that but they actively listen to the community & participate in discussions to make the game better. These guys really know how to make ARPG games and it shows. Loving the game so far.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
After playing both Grim Dawn and Diablo III, I have more fun with Grim Dawn, despite it's unfinished state. It just feels better, and is more engaging and interesting (not talking story here, but engaging mechanics).