Grilled my first medium "rare" steak today

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
In the past when griliing steaks I used to primarily cook them medium well to well. Today I decided to take the advice from a few resident ATOT steak experts and went with medium rare, after eating the first one I've decided never to cook them well done again. The meat is so juicy and flavorful and that's referring to the one I cooked without sauce, I can't wait to try the one I brushed with hickory bbq sauce.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You know the rules. Make with the pics.

And glad you came around. And try not to use that sauce - you'll get burnt sugar and that ain't good eats.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Don't use BBQ sauce on steak, that's a crime against nature.

If he likes it then who cares? It's his steak but eating cow cooked any more than medium rare is a crime against nature.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool84

If he likes it then who cares? It's his steak but eating cow cooked any more than medium rare is a crime against nature.

This. Welcome to the world of rare/med-rare .. mmm.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The only reason people get them medium well is because they have this idea burned into their minds that raw meat = germs, bad, gross, etc. I used to be that way a a kid, would go out of my way not to touch meat while preparing it etc. Once you get that out of your head you can enjoy steak. See raw meat as yum, be a carnivore, take a bite.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: zerocool84

'cause you are supposed to save the sauce for the non-steak beef.

(I do not consider parts outside of T-bone, Porterhouse, Tenderloin, Rib-eye, NY Strip to be "steaks", but rather just "beef". An exception might be the flank steak.)

Jun 18, 2000
I grill all my steaks to about medium, occassionally medium well by accident. Not because I'm scared of bacteria, but because the extra couple minutes gives the steak an excellent smoky/grilled taste. Anything less and I don't get that nice darker grilled look.

I definitely stick to medium rare if I'm cooking inside on the cast iron skillet. I just can't get that kind of searing heat outside on my charcoal grill.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
I grill all my steaks to about medium, occassionally medium well by accident. Not because I'm scared of bacteria, but because the extra couple minutes gives the steak an excellent smoky/grilled taste. Anything less and I don't get that nice darker grilled look.

I definitely stick to medium rare if I'm cooking inside on the cast iron skillet. I just can't get that kind of searing heat outside on my charcoal grill.

Easy - you just need a hotter grill and you'll get that nice char. Also make sure you get steaks at least 1 1/4" thick. 1.5 is good.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I always get mine Medium. It's not the fear of bacteria..I just don't like eating bloody things. I'd rather it be pink in the middle.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07

Easy - you just need a hotter grill and you'll get that nice char. Also make sure you get steaks at least 1 1/4" thick. 1.5 is good.
I know that a hotter grill would give me the same result, but I'm not willing to spend the money. I grill a couple times a week and cook steak maybe once a month. Not really worth it. Besides, I love my cheapie Weber charcoal grill.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I know that a hotter grill would give me the same result, but I'm not willing to spend the money. I grill a couple times a week and cook steak maybe once a month. Not really worth it. Besides, I love my cheapie Weber charcoal grill.

You can still get a super hot grill - just use more fuel. A layer of briquettes 2-3 deep and will be scorching hot.

Not to distract but I had my standby weber for ages and picked up a new one for 150 bucks. Worth every penny. But you still don't need a new grill, what you need is more fuel and plenty of air.

LostUte

Oct 13, 2005

Just buy a thicker steak or use a little more charcoal.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Congrats! I used to eat only well-done beef when I was younger because I feared the bacteria. Eventually, I gave medium rare a shot and I looked back. I made kebabs using beef chuck short ribs recently on a charcoal grill - thick 1.5in cubes. They were the juiciest beef I've ever eaten.

A while back, I went to a pricey restaurant which served family-style/sharing portions. We ordered steak, but one person there refused to eat anything but well-done steak. Everyone else wanted medium rare, but were OK with well-done to satisfy the odd man out. What a waste.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Chicken is the only meat in my mind that should be cooked well done.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000

This is true. Hot grill, thick steak, no overcooking. If you want a nicer char crust, salt and oil the steak really well. That will burn up a little and give you the char on the outside.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: sjwaste
If you want a nicer char crust, salt and oil the steak really well. That will burn up a little and give you the char on the outside.

Really? Ima git me somes oil!

But seriously, what type of oil?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: keird
If you want a nicer char crust, salt and oil the steak really well. That will burn up a little and give you the char on the outside.

I use peanut oil. I happen to like the flavor and it has a high smoke temperature so that the steak gets a nice sear.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: keird

Any. Canola, generic vegetable, olive.

It's not there for flavor, it's there to brown and hold onto seasoning. The heat of your grill and the thickness of your cut is much more important than anything else.