Greymatter or Movable Type?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't want to use stuff like xanga, blogger or anything like that. What I want is to learn setup some sort of PHP(or anything) blog software on my webhost.

I ran a search on sourceforge for "blog" and it came up with a lot of results. Which package do you guys use/recommend? BTW I'm a total n00b in PHP so if I there is a simple package to learn from that'll be useful. :)

EDIT: So I've found out that Greymatter and MovableType are both good. Which one should I use?
EDIT2: Has anyone actually migrated from one to the other? For what reasons?

flood0

Dec 26, 2002
Do yourself a favor and download Movable Type. Then read read read the configuration documentation. You'll be so glad you tackled this once your Movable Type blog is up and running. It's not the easiest thing in the world to install, but it is crazy configurable and totally worth the effort.

Try it...and learn a thing or two in the process.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Need4Speed
neither of which are php btw....they are written in perl

That's actually fine. :)

I've tried Movable Type and managed to put it up on my 1and1 webhost. Now what I don't understand is, since the files (index.html, style-sheet.css, index,rfm etc) are dynamically generated, which files am I supposed to modify to accomodate my own layout? :confused:

Sorry but I'm a n00b here... I'll try RTFM but if someone can help that'll be nice. If you have a style sheet that I can borrow and use, that's even better :D