20 MW GREEN LASER POINTER

SKU: 1257 Typically ships in 2 to 3 business days* Worldwide Free Shipping

New Wish Brand Green Laser
Great for pointing objects from long distance, such as stars
Visible green light beam in the dark
Range in excess of 6,000 ft
Power saving, compact and reliable
Comes with batteries and a nice, solid gift box
Note: pictures show our 10mW version which is identical in appearance to the 20mW version (except power output and the warning label on it)
Most of these and other made in China green lasers do not have IR filters and thus can be hazardous to eyes without proper protective eye wear. By all means if you are unsure of what this means get the 5mW version for your safety.

< fully inflate a small balloon , black marker a 1 inch spot , aim & pop >

~ Buy And Play , Then Dump On Ebay ~

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
sounds fun, but have no idea what to use these for aside occasional presentations at work...

Spurst

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2000
i want to point out that it has no IR filter. read the comments and the links. sounds dangerous.

OneStepsAhead

May 1, 2002
Warning!!! EVEN REFLECTED BEAMS of these high-power lasers can damage eyes. Especially true in darkened places like a movie theater.

theridion

Sep 3, 2007
A little info on these lasers.

1- If they do not have an IR filter (which these don't) it means that even though the company claims it has 30mW of green output, that it probably only has like 5-10mW of green output. You often find such lasers on cheap sites and ebay, those lasers are junk.
2- Green lasers rock because when you shine them at night, you can actually see the beam flying through the air. If your laser is powerful, this beam is bright and can travel for 10, 20, 30 miles, shining off of cloud cover.
3- If your laser (green or other) has enough mW, you can burn holes through paper and pop baloons, light matches and cut black plastic.
4- Quality on these lasers counts, and I have a 130.6 mW pure green laser (still pen sized), and it is very pretty, but even the "dot" at the end of the beam on a bright day hurts your eyes.

Mongals

Jul 13, 2004
"With the use of laser pointers that are more powerful than five milliwatts, there would likely be damage to the actual vision," he says. "Functional damage could occur within seconds."
And the damage is permanent.

"This is a potential hazard to people?s eyes, but rarely is it going to be a practical hazard because the aversion reflex we have naturally will cause a person to blink or turn away from a laser light."

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
That DIY laser maglite looks really cool, but also looks crazy dangerous.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Originally posted by: superHARD
Originally posted by: us3rnotfound
Originally posted by: Assassimon
why don't you just make your own 245MW laser? http://www.metacafe.com/watch/...laser_flashlight_hack/

damnit, almost got a virus :|

odd, same here

Interesting...
Looks like the metacafe website may be hacked/hijacked. The first time I opened the metacafe page the video started but within a second or two the page was replaced with a popup about spyware cleaning and a new tab opened with what looked like a windows explorer screen. My AV did not pick up a virus but something was happening. I closed everything fast so I did not see much else. The second time I went to the video I had no problem.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
These lasers may be fun to play with, but BE CAREFUL. You'll have huge amounts of trouble playing Bioshock 2 or whatever games are coming out in the future if you burn a big hole in your retina.

Any visible laser with 5+ mW of power will damage your eye if you look in the end. These "No IR filter lasers" are even more dangerous. They generate the green laser light (which has a wavelength of 532 nanometers) by shining an IR laser (1064 nanometer) onto a special crystal. This process is not very efficient, so you might need a 20+ mW IR laser to generate 5 mW of green. This means that you could end up with 10+ mW of INVISIBLE IR laser light coming out the end in addition to the green light. This invisible IR laser light can burn things (like your eyes) just like the green, but you can't see it.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
So is there a laser that will produce the same effects as this one (or stronger) but is safer? Or are all green lasers just as dangerous?

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AUMM
So is there a laser that will produce the same effects as this one (or stronger) but is safer? Or are all green lasers just as dangerous?

A green laser with an IR filter is less dangerous, since you can see all the light coming out. Any green laser that's several mW or higher in power will be dangerous to the eyes. I've used 5 mW laser pointers that produce an almost painfully bright spot on a screen from a few feet away --- like during a powerpoint presentation. If the green spot is very bright or "painfully bright", then it is capable of hurting your eyes.

The government rates lasers in different classes, like Class 2, Class 3, Class 3B, etc... (Laser Saftey on Wikipedia). Laser pointers that are under 5mW are typically considered reasonably eye safe because you have a blink reflex that causes you to shut your eye if you see something really bright. Lasers over 5 mW are not eyesafe because you cannot blink fast enough to stop damage. (A < 5 mW green laser might be able to damage your eye if you forced yourself to look at it, kind of like staring into the sun will damage your eye.)

These are all rough guidelines that depend somewhat on the color of the laser (wavelength), the beam size, etc... Just be careful if you want to play with a powerful laser. And do not let kids play with them like toys! I could just see some 6 year old grabbing one and staring into the end to see the pretty light and going blind...

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
How would this work for spiders found crawling on walls?

If the wall is wood or drywall it will catch on fire before the spider does.