greatest movie you've never seen?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
The Shawshank Redemption
Boondock Saints
I Am Legend <-- not sure why, but I loved that movie.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I must have no life, I've seen every non-foreign movie on that list and for some odd reason, even though I watch some foreign films, have not seen a single one of the foreign films on that list.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I remember thinking that watching movies from the top 250 from IMDB was a good idea, until I decided to watch Once Upon a Time in the West (C'era una volta il West) because I was looking for a good Western... It was after watching that movie that I stopped my idea of watching movies from the top 250. What a piece of garbage movie...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
out of the top 20 in the IMDB 250 list, i've never seen:
*The Godfather
*The Godfather: Part II
*One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
*Casablanca
Shichinin no samurai
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
*Goodfellas
Cidade de Deus
*Raiders of the Lost Ark
C'era una volta il West
*The Usual Suspects

i am thinking about watching the Godfathers, but the rest doesn't interest me that much. Any of these worth watching as in really good? Some of the movies that were supposed to be good (I am Legend for example) really disappointed me.
The ones I put a star in front of the movies you definately should see. I actually envy you are you have a rewarding movie experience ahead of you if you choose to watch those.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
out of the top 20 in the IMDB 250 list, i've never seen:
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Casablanca
Shichinin no samurai
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Goodfellas
Cidade de Deus
Raiders of the Lost Ark
C'era una volta il West
The Usual Suspects

i am thinking about watching the Godfathers, but the rest doesn't interest me that much. Any of these worth watching as in really good? Some of the movies that were supposed to be good (I am Legend for example) really disappointed me.

It will depend highly on your tastes, but I think every movie on that list is between outstanding and downright awe inspiring (haven't seen Cidade de Deus yet though). Casablanca should be seen just for its impact on film and our culture. 12 Angry Men is one of the better films of all time. Raiders of the Lost Ark...I can't even imagine not having that frame of reference in my mind as I go through life. The Usual Suspects is the one on that list that you should watch after the Godfathers...it's an absolute must.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I don't have to look at a list of movies to tell you all which movie is the greatest. Without question, everyone's answer should be Fight Club! :D Seriously, everything from the storyline to the music/soundtrack, this movie has it all. Pitt and Norton's performances were nothing short of phenominal. Whoever played Marla Singer is nearly equal, IMHO.

:thumbsup:

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: jamesbond007
I don't have to look at a list of movies to tell you all which movie is the greatest. Without question, everyone's answer should be Fight Club! :D Seriously, everything from the storyline to the music/soundtrack, this movie has it all. Pitt and Norton's performances were nothing short of phenominal. Whoever played Marla Singer is nearly equal, IMHO.

:thumbsup:

I've seen it a couple of dozen times. I've lost count of how many times I've watched Fight Club, Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Pulp Fiction. I never tire of them.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Citizen Kane
The Godfather series
12 Angry Men

AMC and TCM channels show these movies, among other great classics. But I usually watch some monkeys doing their, ummm, monkey business on the animal planet channel.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: yamadakun
if you are going by the imdb list, then it is 12 Angry Men.
Thats not my most favorite, but definitely one of my faves. I got it on DVD right when they released it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
finally watched the Godfather today :)

it was pretty good... not sure I'd rate it as the greatest movie of all time, but it might be a little hard to judge since I can't really appreciate it for what it was at the time.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Greatest? I don't know. I like various movies for different reasons.

- Little Shop of Horrors - Amusing, with snappy tunes.
- ST: First Contact - I love seeing the flight of the Pheonix, and what it represented.
- LOTR trilogy: Decent story, with excellent effects.
- Hoodwinked: Funny with weird humor, and multiple parallel storylines.
- Shawshank Redemption: Good story.
- Wallace and Gromit - Curse of the Wererabbit: Amusing story, with a vegetarian villain. How many movies are that nonviolent, yet still amusing? And the theme music rules.
- Manos: Hands of Fate - it allowed for the existence of one of the greatest MST3K episodes ever.

I have also never seen The Godfather, or any of the Rocky movies.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Movies that I get yelled at for not having seen:

Any of the Rockies
Titanic
Top Gun
Donny Darko

I'm sure that there are others.

AliasX

Jan 29, 2006
I went through the IMDB top 100 last year. I think I've also seen most from the 250.

Can't really pinpoint the best.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Is the IMDB list the same as AFI's list? I'm going down their list right now, first the original one from 97 and then the updated one from last year to get all the new additions. Off of the old AFI list I'd have to say that Casablanca should easily be above Citizen Kane, and Gone With The Wind should probably be more like top 25, not top 5.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: yamadakun
People, this thread is about the greatest movie you've NEVER seen.

in that case

12 Angry Men
Dr Strangelove
Sunset Blvd
No Country for Old men
M