Great Political Cartoon -- Warming of Mass Destruction

Oct 30, 2004
I thought this was a great political cartoon and wanted to share it with other P&N readers. Occassionally Mark Fiore puts out a funny animation:

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/warming.html

"Iraq! Iraq! Iraq! While you're all focussing on your silly little war..."

What's this about Greenland melting twice as fast as [scientists] had previously thought it would? First I'd heard of such a report.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
cute...

sounds like most global warming freaks, err supporters too :)

GW or GWB - one is based on insufficent information the other acts on it

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I believe the whole ice caps melting this is misinformation at its best.
Scientists aren?t sure what to make of it. Yes the ice caps on Greenland are melting, but then in other parts of the world the ice caps are growing thicker.

Sure we are having an effect on the environment, but the unknown question is how great of an effect. And are we to blame for global warming, or is it part of the natural cycle etc.

Cute little animations like this do nothing to solve the problem. All they do is spread more misinformation and fear.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Scientists aren?t sure what to make of it. Yes the ice caps on Greenland are melting, but then in other parts of the world the ice caps are growing thicker.

Sure we are having an effect on the environment, but the unknown question is how great of an effect. And are we to blame for global warming, or is it part of the natural cycle etc.

Cute little animations like this do nothing to solve the problem. All they do is spread more misinformation and fear.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are serious. You do realize that much of the past 6 years has been a campaign of spreading misinformation and fear . . . to avoid doing anything about domestic energy consumption and pollution?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are serious. You do realize that much of the past 6 years has been a campaign of spreading misinformation and fear . . . to avoid doing anything about domestic energy consumption and pollution?
Tell me, how do we fight Global Warming? What steps should we take? And how do we do the first two without putting our economy at risk.

Part of the problem is that the people making the most noise about global warming are also the ones suggesting the most drastic measures. We need to fight global warming, but do it in a way that does not kill the economy.

As far as your statement about the last 6 years: you do realize that Clinton made the campaign promise to raise the MPG rating to an average of 45 I believe, and then did practically nothing about it. Also Clinton and Gore never pushed the Kyoto Accords either. Our government has been talking about energy independence since at least Jimmy Carter, and neither side has done a thing about it. This is a bi-partisan failure, not a Republican or Democrat failure.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
A war on global warming imo would be more futile than the war on drugs.
The Earth will do what it pleases, when it pleases.

It has done this for the past 6 billion years and will do it for the next 6 billion years.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Tell me, how do we fight Global Warming? What steps should we take? And how do we do the first two without putting our economy at risk.

Part of the problem is that the people making the most noise about global warming are also the ones suggesting the most drastic measures. We need to fight global warming, but do it in a way that does not kill the economy.

As far as your statement about the last 6 years: you do realize that Clinton made the campaign promise to raise the MPG rating to an average of 45 I believe, and then did practically nothing about it. Also Clinton and Gore never pushed the Kyoto Accords either. Our government has been talking about energy independence since at least Jimmy Carter, and neither side has done a thing about it. This is a bi-partisan failure, not a Republican or Democrat failure.

Sure they have, both sides have successfully blocked any legislation that will allow us to drill for oil on our own land and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Under these two brain dead parties for the past 35 years we have expanded our dependence on foreign oil, not reduced it.

Nov 30, 2006
The cause of global warming is a very complex issue and I'm personally not convinced that mankind is the culprit. But, on the other hand, I'm totally in favor of reducing our dependence on foreign oil and reducing fossil fuel emissions. (Imagine that, a conservative saying such things).

On the positive side, hydrogen powered cars are just around the corner...it may take a while to make the transition, but the economics involved are now beginning to make sense and the automobile manufacturers are making great strides in the technology. BTW, didn't Bush propose in 2003 that we spend $1.2 billion for research and development of hydrogen-powered automobiles? (Ooops...I said something positive about our President...mental note...must don flame-resistant clothing immediately! :p)

But...why in the world would we want to make hydrogen fuel for these vehicles using energy from coal-fired power plants? It looks to me that we need nuclear power plants and we need them now. The Libs need to wake up and realize that if they're really, really serious about reducing greenhouse gas emissions, they should support replacing all coal-fired power plants with nuclear plants immediately. Solar and wind are great, but it's a fool's dream to think that these alternative energy sources will make a meaningful dent in satisfying our nation's energy needs.

CityShrimp

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87

It has done this for the past 6 billion years and will do it for the next 6 billion years.

Agree. But even though I don't think we should fight against global warming, we should be aware of the situation and hopefully adapt to whatever changes global warming may bring.
Cartoons like this can definitely bring some level of awareness, even though it is a bit extreme.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
The cause of global warming is a very complex issue and I'm personally not convinced that mankind is the culprit. But, on the other hand, I'm totally in favor of reducing our dependence on foreign oil and reducing fossil fuel emissions. (Imagine that, a conservative saying such things).

That's what I'm saying as well.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
In order to replace all carbon generating with nuclear we would need ~400 new plants, that is about 800 Billion dollars. Seems like an absurdly high ammount, but by the time this stupid war is over we will probably have spend that.

Option 1: produce 100% of power from non-carbon producing generation sources

Option 2: kill Saddam Hussein and piss of the entire Muslim world

Personally, I would rather have option 1 than option 2. In fact I would rather have neither than just option 2.

I'm not a global warming freak or anything, just putting a little opportunity costs for the war picture up here for those who are.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Sure they have, both sides have successfully blocked any legislation that will allow us to drill for oil on our own land and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Under these two brain dead parties for the past 35 years we have expanded our dependence on foreign oil, not reduced it.

Because American oil will cause less damage to the environment right? This isn't about a dependence on foreign ANYTHING. It's about a general dependence on burning fossil fuels that create greenhouse gases. Anyone who tries to claim that humans don't direct influence global warming is either an idiot or an outright liar.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

haha you attack Bush for this. Tell me one thing ANY president has done in this regard? LOL

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

You are correct, sir. Unfortunately too many people use this as yet another tool to propegate their own agenda. If anyone truly believes the USA alone can affect whatever is happening is foolish beyond measure. And good luck getting the rest of the world on board.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
And are we to blame for global warming, or is it part of the natural cycle etc.

Considering our current warming trend is out of line with the cycles of the past 650,000 years, I think we must assume that it is not part of any natural cycle.

animalia

Banned
Dec 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan

On the positive side, hydrogen powered cars are just around the corner...it may take a while to make the transition, but the economics involved are now beginning to make sense and the automobile manufacturers are making great strides in the technology. BTW, didn't Bush propose in 2003 that we spend $1.2 billion for research and development of hydrogen-powered automobiles? (Ooops...I said something positive about our President...mental note...must don flame-resistant clothing immediately! :p)

But...why in the world would we want to make hydrogen fuel for these vehicles using energy from coal-fired power plants? It looks to me that we need nuclear power plants and we need them now. The Libs need to wake up and realize that if they're really, really serious about reducing greenhouse gas emissions, they should support replacing all coal-fired power plants with nuclear plants immediately. Solar and wind are great, but it's a fool's dream to think that these alternative energy sources will make a meaningful dent in satisfying our nation's energy needs.

look out. someone on P&N might threaten your life just life michael savage. those who speak the truth are hated. sure the earth goes through it's cycles, but if the earth is going through a warming cycle right now, then mankind is holding a lighter under the south pole while it's happening.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: thraashman

Because American oil will cause less damage to the environment right? This isn't about a dependence on foreign ANYTHING. It's about a general dependence on burning fossil fuels that create greenhouse gases. Anyone who tries to claim that humans don't direct influence global warming is either an idiot or an outright liar.

So what caused Greenland to not have as much ice on it as it does now 1000 years ago when the Vikings setup colonies? If you can answer me that with a straight face and prove humans did it back then. Then I will start buying into the new religion that fossil fuels are the devil and humans the demons using it.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Global warming is mainly caused by over population. Methane is the real problem not carbon dioxide.

"Methane in the Earth's atmosphere is an important greenhouse gas with a global warming potential of 23 over a 100 year period. This means that a 1 tonne methane emission will have 23 times the impact on temperature of a 1 tonne carbon dioxide emission during the following 100 years. Methane has a large effect for a brief period (about 10 years), whereas carbon dioxide has a small effect for a long period (over 100 years). Because of this difference in effect and time period, the global warming potential of methane over a 20 year time period is 63. The methane concentration has increased by about 150% since 1750 and it accounts for 20% of the total radiative forcing from all of the long-lived and globally mixed greenhouse gases.[5]" from the wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane

If I was reading that correctly methane has 23 times the impact over carbon on global warming.

Emmision of methane in 1999

Origin CH4 Emission

Mass (Tg/a) Type (%/a) Total (%/a)

Natural Emissions
Wetlands (incl. Rice agriculture) 225 83 37
Termites 20 7 3
Ocean 15 6 3
Hydrates 10 4 2
Natural Total 270 100 45

Anthropogenic Emissions
Energy 110 33 18
Landfills 40 12 7
Ruminants (Livestock) 115 35 19
Waste treatment 25 8 4
Biomass burning 40 12 7
Anthropogenic Total 330 100 55

Sinks
Soils -30 -5 -5
Tropospheric OH -510 -88 -85
Stratospheric loss -40 -7 -7
Sink Total -580 -100 -97

Emissions + Sinks
Imbalance (trend) +20 ~2.78 Tg/ppb +7.19 ppb/a

Looking at the chart the majority of methane is created by humans. Livestock, Landfills, Rice Agriculture, and Energy. Global warming is good for earth indirectly because we will all die if the trend of over population gets to a critcal point. Earth is just doing its job keeping the population in check with natural disasters and panademics. Until we have mastered space exploration and colonization, humans will have the risk of total extinction in the next 1,000 years.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
IF "methane has 23 times the impact over carbon on global warming"

...we should continue burning the stuff for fuel. (methane is commonly known as natural gas)
Maybe these fossil fuel energy sources are better for the environment ;) (according to nullzero anyway)

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
We burn natural gas however so the by product is carbon monoxide. I dont get your point please explain? Natural gas is clean because of the byproducts after combustion. I never said that Carbon dioxide was not a problem for global warming, however it takes less of methane to create more drastic effects then compared to carbon dioxide.