Great modules (player made games) for NeverWinter Nights 1 and 2

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Anandtech community favorites!

NWN1
Premium Modules:
[*]Witch's Wake (good, but cliff hanger and canned sequel makes it not recommended)
[*]KingMaker (good)

Community Modules:
[*]Tales of Arterra series (my favorite, focus on plot, dialog, and character development, very few "forced" fights)
[*]Dastard's Morrow (great module, has a good story, characters, but a lil too heavy on the hack and slash, IMO)
[*]ShadowLords, DreamCatcher, Demon (we all know about these, but I thought the first 4 chapters of ShadowLords sucked)
[*]Darkness over Daggerford (canned premium module, so it is free, great module with a near perfect mixture of action and roleplaying, probably my 2nd favorite module)
[*]A Dance with Rogues, adult themed roleplaying module, suggested by s44 for its character development and rather... unique dialog.
[*]Saleron's Gambit parts 1 - 5, P&P like module, suggested by s44.
[*]The Aielund Saga parts 1 - 4, suggested by s44, hack and slash fun for all!
[*]the HeX coda 01, suggested by s44, unique steampunk setting

NWN2
[*]Tragedy in Tragidor, hall of fame, suggested by s44.
[*]Pool of Radiance remake, suggested by s44.
[*]Dark Waters by the legendary NWN1 module creator Adam Miller.

Moved to correct forum
AT Moderator - Schadenfroh (Yes, I am required to post this)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've only used the Hero Builder mod for 2.
Its pretty nice for testing class combinations before you waste an entire game on a useless PC.

I was wondering if anybody has seen a save game editor or character editor around. I havent found one yet and I'd like to try some experiments.
I know this thread is supposed to be about mods but I feel like hijacking today.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Tales of Arterra is the best. But also try these:

A Dance with Rogues and the sequel.
Mod of the Year winner for 2006. Serious, explicit adult content -- definitely not for kids -- but memorable characters, writing, and story.

Saleron's Gambit and parts 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Low-power, low-magic adventure set in the Forgotten Realms. Excellent P&P flavor.

The Aielund Saga I, II, III, IV/1, IV/2, (IV/3 coming soon).
Long, nicely plotted, and well-balanced hack&slash with some romance. Not the greatest writing however.

The HeX coda 01.
Excellent steampunk mod with an interestingly convoluted character system. Only problem: it's part of an abandoned series. There's an "incomplete but finished" sequel released when the author got caught up in other activities and gave up NWN modding, but I haven't tried it.

There are others, too.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
For NWN2, only Tragedy in Tragidor, despite some lax grammar, is ready for prime time. Chapter 1 of Pool of Radiance Remastered is constantly being updated, with the next Chapters not ready, and Dark Waters is still a massive bug-fest.

Some of the shorter mods made for Obsidian's April mod contest look promising, though, especially Maerduin's The Birthday.

You'll note that there's been some effort to keep score inflation down for NWN2 mods. It hasn't entirely worked, but it's better than nothing.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Now that NWN2 has been out for a bit longer and more modules have started to appear, anyone able to recommend any good new ones?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Though it's very short, The Birthday is the best mod out there, both visually and story-wise a real exhibition of what the game can do.

The Subtlety of Thay is a very well-made mod in the P&P style (long plot with lots of twists, recurring characters, and interesting interactions, as well as tough tactical combat) that is the first part of a projected series. It begins at level 3-5 (I suggest 4) -- you could start with The Zelbross Affair, a new mod which I've not tried, to get to level 4, or just use the Forgotten Realms Weave character creator (utility leveling mod).

Night Howls in Nestlehaven, the first mod of another projected trilogy, is a higher level (starting level 9-14; I recommend about 10) big-story mod. (Incidentally, you don't need to equip your character beforehand, as the first room lets you pick from suggested starting equipment.) The varied and high-powered tactical combat is fun and the unfolding plot is interesting, but the written side of it isn't so polished. It's the highest-rated mod at the Vault so far, though, so you may like it quite a bit more.

For pure hack&slash fun, Grimm Brigade is tough to beat. This actually won the Obsidian Grimm's Tales mod contest, though I'd have put it third. In any case, it's very well designed with little "fat".

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
s44, I have played about an hour's worth of Hex Coda 01, and it is great! Thanks for suggesting it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The lead designer for Rogue Dao Studios, the makers of the highly anticipated Planescape Trilogy, has just been hired by Obsidian. I like to the Rogue Dao site, but it seems they've exceeded their monthly bandwidth.

Here's the thread at the NWN2 forums,
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/...topic=605059&forum=109

It has an alarmist title because only one individual went to OE. Good for him though, hopefully it will help OE further develop NWN2.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
s44, I have played about an hour's worth of Hex Coda 01, and it is great! Thanks for suggesting it.
Isn't it? Too bad the author lost interest and gave up on the sequel.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: s44
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Isn't it? Too bad the author lost interest and gave up on the sequel.

Wish someone from the community would pick it up and finish it, looks like he has a good deal of the material of it out there.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just finished Hex Coda 01, truly excellent character / story driven mod and in my top 3 player made modules. Time to read over his notes from 02 to see what would have happened if he had not canned it.

Thanks again S44 for suggesting it! If you know of any mods like it (not the setting, but the gameplay), let me know (unless it has already been mentioned above).

Edit, after reading the guys statement when he canned HC02, I can see why he is pissed. Atari screwed that guy over when they canned premium modules for NWN1 to "encourage" NWN2 sales and the guy did not get his money.