Great job Republicans.....

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Thank you Republicans for keeping the Dems honest on something that they (and you) should always be aware of......

THE REST OF THE FREAKING COUNTRY DOESN"T GET AN AUTOMATIC COLA AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU!!!

But you all did a great job on this front this time. If only you would had been so principled on other things when you were in power, we wouldn't be in a lot of the messes that we are presently.

WaPo link

When Democrats blasted Republicans last fall for taking annual congressional pay raises while blocking numerous attempts to raise the minimum wage, it was an effective campaign tactic. Democrats vowed not to accept the annual cost-of-living adjustment until Congress increases the minimum wage.

But Republicans angered over the political attacks are unwilling to allow Democrats to reinstate the members' COLA, forcing Democratic leaders to scuttle the 1.7 percent pay increase for the entire year.

"There will be no COLA adjustment," a disappointed House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (Md.), the chamber's No. 2 Democrat, said yesterday.

Lawmakers' pay will be frozen at $165,200 for this year in the dispute, in which Democrats violated a years-long understanding that the competing parties would not use the pay-raise issue in campaign ads.

Under the annual COLA, lawmakers automatically get a pay raise unless Congress votes to block it. The issue is ripe because a GOP-drafted stopgap spending bill carrying language delaying the pay increase expires Feb. 15 -- and lawmakers would automatically start receiving their raises the next day.

A huge spending bill for the current budget year is moving through the House today, and Democrats tried in recent days to reach agreement with Republicans on language to delay the pay raise a few more weeks or months to provide more time for the minimum-wage bill to advance into law.

Republicans said no.

"The DCCC ran their own ads attacking [GOP] members on this," said House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.).

Members were originally to begin receiving an annual increase of 1.7 percent, or $2,800, on Jan. 1. They had already lost about $320 with the delay to Feb. 16.

Jun 27, 2005
Which goes to show that the party in power is the "corrupt" party. It's a very minor thing but this is how it starts.

Anyone who thinks that things will be any different under the Dems than they were under the Reps, where corruption is involved, is kidding themselves. This was a great opportunity for the Ds to prove they were better than the Rs on a very basic principle and they failed miserably.

In the grand scheme of things this is nothing. And there's nothing corrupt about voting yourself a pay raise. It says a lot about the culture in Washington where one party will complain about the actions of the other and then attempt to commit those very same actions when they assume the majority. And the stench of hypocrisy from the Rs on blocking the COLA is equally strong.

Meet the new congress, same as the old congress. And for those who want to start with the "yeah but how many indictments are the Ds under" nonsense... give them time.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Which goes to show that the party in power is the "corrupt" party. It's a very minor thing but this is how it starts.

Anyone who thinks that things will be any different under the Dems than they were under the Reps, where corruption is involved, is kidding themselves. This was a great opportunity for the Ds to prove they were better than the Rs on a very basic principle and they failed miserably.

In the grand scheme of things this is nothing. And there's nothing corrupt about voting yourself a pay raise. It says a lot about the culture in Washington where one party will complain about the actions of the other and then attempt to commit those very same actions when they assume the majority. And the stench of hypocrisy from the Rs on blocking the COLA is equally strong.

Meet the new congress, same as the old congress. And for those who want to start with the "yeah but how many indictments are the Ds under" nonsense... give them time.

QFT Just another problem with the entire party system IMHO.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think Congressional pay should be a fixed multiple of the minimum wage. That way they can't keep raising their own pay while ignoring the working poor.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Thank you Republicans for keeping the Dems honest on something that they (and you) should always be aware of......

THE REST OF THE FREAKING COUNTRY DOESN"T GET AN AUTOMATIC COLA AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU!!!

But you all did a great job on this front this time. If only you would had been so principled on other things when you were in power, we wouldn't be in a lot of the messes that we are presently.

WaPo link

Members were originally to begin receiving an annual increase of 1.7 percent, or $2,800, on Jan. 1. They had already lost about $320 with the delay to Feb. 16.

I HATE that last line. How do you lose something you never had to begin with? It's the same as when they say "budget cuts" when in reality it was nothing but a decrease in the increase in budget spending.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: senseamp
I think Congressional pay should be a fixed multiple of the minimum wage. That way they can't keep raising their own pay while ignoring the working poor.
That's a great idea.
I would just like to point out that 165,000 for the responsibilities and demands of being a House member is low.
In my state my Representive was for many years a man who lived on his salary alone. If we have to pay Reps 200,000 to get decent, honest representitives I have no problem. My problem is with Reps who spend time earning tons of money outside the House in addition to their salaries and then really work for the companies that are adding to their income.
e.g. everyone who worked for Abrahamoff.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: techs
That's a great idea.
I would just like to point out that 165,000 for the responsibilities and demands of being a House member is low.
In my state my Representive was for many years a man who lived on his salary alone. If we have to pay Reps 200,000 to get decent, honest representitives I have no problem. My problem is with Reps who spend time earning tons of money outside the House in addition to their salaries and then really work for the companies that are adding to their income.

I don't know what country your living in but 165K a year is far from decent living. You can easily afford housing, nice car etc. Even in affluiet and expensive areas this is possible with $165K. And even have money on the side for other activities.

Trell

Oct 28, 2003
The difference between the Democrats and Republicans on this is huge, the Democrats may be voting themselves a raise, but at the same time they are pushing for the minimum wage to be raised. The Republicans vote themselves a raise and at the same time vote down any kind of minimum wage increase. If you can't see the difference I feel sorry for you.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I think they should also pay the same income and FICA taxes as the rest of us. And of course be forced to use Social Security instead of their thrift program.

That way when they see ridiculous amounts of their income given away they can think twice about raising taxes without accountability.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
That's a great idea.

165K is around 4 times what the average US worker makes. That's more than adequate.

Malfeas

Apr 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

I think they should also pay the same income and FICA taxes as the rest of us. And of course be forced to use Social Security instead of their thrift program.

That way when they see ridiculous amounts of their income given away they can think twice about raising taxes without accountability.

They don't pay the same taxes??? That is ludicrous and another reason for me to distrust politicians even more.

edit: I found this link that explains some of congresses taxes and benefits, but it didn't seem to address their fica or tax rate, although it indicated they do pay 8% social security and 1.3% FERS. Also, their pension is quite generous, especially with the built in COLA.

Link

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
That's a great idea.

165K is around 4 times what the average US worker makes. That's more than adequate.

In the same vein as corporate executive compensation, but with much more validity: ANyone capable of being a decent congressman or senator (or member of Parliament in my country) is capable of making much more than 4 times the average worker, in the private sector. It's not necessary to pay them what they could make elsewhere, but you do want to minimize losing real talent to the allure of higher pay.

$165k may allow you to live a pretty good life, but it's hardly riding the gravy train.

Politician's pay will always be an sensitive issue, doubly so beause they so often set it for themselves, but at the end of the day, there's a whole lot going on besides 'greed'.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
That's a great idea.

The average US worker doesn't have anywhere near the responsibility given to congressmen. In fact, the vast majority of Americans who make far more money than that have less responsibility. An average doctor or lawyer will top that, easy.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Malfeas

They don't pay the same taxes??? That is ludicrous and another reason for me to distrust politicians even more.

edit: I found this link that explains some of congresses taxes and benefits, but it didn't seem to address their fica or tax rate, although it indicated they do pay 8% social security and 1.3% FERS. Also, their pension is quite generous, especially with the built in COLA.

Link

FERS is not a tax, its a retirement plan for federal employees, but its different than the TSP.

Oct 30, 2004

I'd prefer to see a fixed multiple of the nation's per capita income or some sort of measure of the nation's average quality of life and standard of living.

So, if the middle class begins to suffer erosion, then Congress would get a pay cut, etc.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

The average US worker doesn't have anywhere near the responsibility given to congressmen. In fact, the vast majority of Americans who make far more money than that have less responsibility. An average doctor or lawyer will top that, easy.

...and our Congressmen are doing an attrocious job of meeting their "responsibilities". If your average doctor or lawyer did a job a quarter as poor as our nation's Congress, they'd be out of work. At least your average American worker actually gets something worthwhile done and doesn't lead his employer to ruin.

Would Americans be willing to pay their Congressmen more? Sure--just as soon as the Congress performs and improves the lives of Americans. If Congressmen were paid on a performance basis they'd be unable to pay the debt they owe the American people. Right now our politicians are drinking martinis and smoking cigars as the nation transforms itself into a third world country.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Congress and government officials should earn a wage that is appropiate for their responsibilities. How much does a large company's CEO or a board of directors earn?

You get what you pay for. We want the best people representing us and setting policy.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
That's a great idea.

Except for the fact that the majority of minimum wage earners are college students and teens. Most of which are anything BUT poor. But whatever gives you warm fuzzies on the inside!

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
I would be more than willing to see Congress paid a million a year provided..

They cannot accept donations from anyone BUT individuals.

They cannot use their own money for campaigns

They cannot use their office (as in they are already members) to send anything remotely related to the next campaign or what they did for their members during an election year

PACs are not permitted to name a party or individual in any form of ad.

They cannot serve more than 12 years total time

All spending bills must have a sunset clause

No more riders

The big problem is once they are in they are nearly impossible to unseat and they forget they were supposed to serve us.

Nov 30, 2006
Lawmakers' pay will be frozen at $165,200 for this year in the dispute, in which Democrats violated a years-long understanding that the competing parties would not use the pay-raise issue in campaign ads.

Moral of the story...don't make agreements with people who have no honor.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
That's a great idea.

Lets not forget all the kick backs and under the table earnings Im sure puts them in the millions. Or how about the fact they can play the stock market, yeah the ones that have the insides to every company on the stock market, that passes and makes laws that can hurt or do good for a company giving them the edge to buy or sell shares in the company before the law is passed making them HUGE profits, allowing them to have the upper hand that normal people if had the information and did would be thrown in prison for ;)

You see the is a small picture, thats their "fun" money, the kick backs for companies to vote or endorse them is where the money is at and if your a politician making nothing more then your yearly income your not doing your job right.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Shivetya

They cannot use their office (as in they are already members) to send anything remotely related to the next campaign or what they did for their members during an election year

No more riders

The big problem is once they are in they are nearly impossible to unseat and they forget they were supposed to serve us.

YOU DO (or should) KNOW that the two houses in Washington make up one of the biggest millionaire clubs in the USA? Why do they need the pay, when they spend 10X to 20X more to get elected?

Malfeas

Apr 27, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Malfeas

Link

FERS is not a tax, its a retirement plan for federal employees, but its different than the TSP.

I know that, where did I say it was a tax?

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
Originally posted by: Shivetya

No more riders

YOU DO (or should) KNOW that the two houses in Washington make up one of the biggest millionaire clubs in the USA? Why do they need the pay, when they spend 10X to 20X more to get elected?

Those "10x to 20x" they spend are someone elses money, not theirs.
If someone can donate $5 million to me right now without me having to spend any of my own money, I'd run for President.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

...and our Congressmen are doing an attrocious job of meeting their "responsibilities". If your average doctor or lawyer did a job a quarter as poor as our nation's Congress, they'd be out of work. At least your average American worker actually gets something worthwhile done and doesn't lead his employer to ruin.

Would Americans be willing to pay their Congressmen more? Sure--just as soon as the Congress performs and improves the lives of Americans. If Congressmen were paid on a performance basis they'd be unable to pay the debt they owe the American people. Right now our politicians are drinking martinis and smoking cigars as the nation transforms itself into a third world country.

We have an excellent mechanism for dealing with underperforming Congress-critters...the problem is the voters seem to like complaining more than actually doing anything. My point is that the job itself deserves to be a high paying one, whether or not the members themselves deserve to HAVE the job is another story.

And I'd like to point out that in terms of being terrible at their job, and average congressman seems no worse than the average corporate CEO...they just do that bad job for about 1/100 the price.