Great Gatsby Question

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Ok, the plot confused me a lot and now I gotta write a speech on it. Was it that Daisy wouldn't marry Gatsby because he had no money so then he joined the army. Or did Gatsby join the army because he thought Daisy wouldn't love him if he had no money so he tried to make something of himself. Or am I way of on both. I need to know!

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Gatsby built a fake person around himself. He tried to be someone that he was not to get something he wanted, and when his facade fell, he crumbled.

AudioBitch

Oct 15, 2000
Itk

its been a while since i've read teh book
but i believe the picture of him in uniform is fake

i think it was that he never went to the army, but joined up with that guy on the boat and became a different person.
that is where he decided to make a fake person

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
It sounds like these two ideas:

"Was it that Daisy wouldn't marry Gatsby because he had no money so then he joined the army. Or did Gatsby join the army because he thought Daisy wouldn't love him if he had no money so he tried to make something of himself."

Are the same, and they sound correct to me. :)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000

<< i think it was that he never went to the army, but joined up with that guy on the boat and became a different person. >>

That was the fake scenerio, I'm fairly sure Gatsby was in the army at the same time Nick was...
And those two scenarios aren't the same. One say that Daisy wouldn't marry Gatsby, the other says that Gatsby wouldn't marry Daisy.

Gage

Jan 30, 2000
I read an article over at salon.com that put forth the theory that Gatsby was black and &quot;passing&quot; and that was why daisy couldnt love him. There is a lot more to the argument but I dont remember it. If your interested here is the link:

Was Gatsby black?

Apr 5, 2000
I just finished re-reading the book. As I see it:

Gatsby and Daisy both loved each other, regardless of money. The reason he left was because of the war. They sent correspondence back and forth to each other. Daisy was &quot;waiting&quot; for Gatsby to get back so they could start a life together. Gatsby tried looking for a way out of the war but instead got sent to Oxford. Once Gatsby got back, Daisy was on the honeymoon with Tom.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Gatsby wasn't black, and Daisy did love him, but rejected him because he had no money. I'm pretty sure at least. I'm nearly done my speech, just need a closing. I'm gonna post it in a couple minutes, then on to Chem homework :(

Apr 5, 2000
WC - its not stupid. It is just an opinion and that person could be right for all I know. I personally don't see it that way, but people are entitled to their opinion.

Apr 5, 2000
She never rejected him - why did they keep in touch during the war? You can't make money being a soldier. (A lot anyway) Also, on their last day together all they did was cuddle and hold each other. Someone who rejects someone wouldn't do that.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Hey, when did Gatsby take place. I thought it was in the 20s, but now I get the feeling it was 1919 for some reason. I hate this speech argg!!!!!!!!

Gage

Jan 30, 2000
IT was in the 20's. THe reason you think it was 1919 is that there was speculation that he was involved in the fix of the 1919 world series.

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
LTK

A cursory check of the dates would sugget it took place in the 20's. The main reason for this is the book &quot;Simon Called Peter&quot; is mentioned. This was published in 1921.

Gatsby

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
Also world war 1 was mentioned to be over. Since i believ this ended in late 1919 at least it was to be teh 20s. No depression was mentioned so it can't be the 30's.

Gatsby

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Gatsby was German, his real last name was Gatz, if I remember correctly. I think Daisy wouldn't marry Gatsby because he wasn't rich at the time and when he finally came to become &quot;rich&quot;, Daisy was already married.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Illkid has the same idea as I did, but who the hell knows huh? I'm done my speech, and I'm gonna post it. Please be kind and realize I haven't even proofread it :p It didn't have to be long, and this was good enough. Still this teacher grades pretty harshly, so it has to be good.

The old Irish proverb that says ?you cannot open a book without learning something? is very true and The Great Gatsby is no exception. Not only did Gatsby teach the reader about life in the 1920s by giving them an insiders view of the upper-class lifestyle, it also taught timeless lessons about life and love..

One thing that Gatsby taught about the 1920s was that moral corruption was commonplace and that people chose to ignore the wrongdoings of others. Nick saw nothing wrong with Tom?s affair with Myrtle and he also helped Daisy and Gatsby start a relationship. Today it is more likely that Tom would hide his affair, or Daisy would have divorced him. Another thing Nick chose to ignore was Gatsby?s participation in criminal activities. Gatsby was linked to bootlegging as well as fixing the 1919 World Series, yet even when this was apparent Nick chose not to acknowledge it.

Another thing that The Great Gatsby taught was that there are different kinds of love. Gatsby?s love for Daisy was timeless and transcended all barriers; he loved her so much he was willing to give up anything for her. He ended up giving up his life when he was the one blamed for killing Myrtle. Daisy on the other hand loved Gatsby, but she wasn?t able to wait for him when he got stuck in Europe after the war and she wasn?t able to give up Tom for him when he returned into her life.

Gatsby taught important lessons about the moral corruption and emotional ruin of the 1920s as well as immortal lessons about love. These things make the book a perfect example of the Irish proverb.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
When we discussed it in class a week ago, the general feeling was that they both loved each other (the love part is debatable, but for the purposes of this discussion, it is 'true love'), but Gatsby thought that he wouldn't be good enough for her since he was poor, so he joined the army.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Wow, and i just liked reading the book because i found it entertaining, lol. That's usually why i read books.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I did the speech, it didn't blow, I'm happy :)

On an unrelated note, I thought Gatsby was an uneven book. The beginning sucked, made me wanna kill myself cause I had nothing else to do. The second half, however was really good and made me appreciate having suffered through the beginning. Maybe if I hadn't have had to read 200 pages in one day I wouldn't have minded the beginning so much...