Great games i Missed out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Planescape: Torment, which probably has the best story ever written for a game
Baldur's Gate 1/2 and their expansion
Icewind Dale, and it['s expansion Heart of Winter. You can also download a free "expansion" for Heart of Winter called trials of the Luremaster
Knights of the Old Republic 2, even if the last 15% of the game wasn't really finished.
Fallout 1 and 2

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: duragezic
I'd make a 'A' tier and a 'B' tier. Even though 6 months is a while, you have missed out on a huge huge amount of games so I'd want to make sure to at least play some of the real hits before spending time and money on games that are good, but don't necessarily offer much over the rest.

Also, you never know, but you might start playing WoW and soon 6 months is over and you haven't touched much else! I'd avoid it altogether! You could probably get a 10 day trial from someone for free, or I know they sell a trial disc for a few bucks.

Personally, I would remove Prey, Lost Planet, and possible Resident Evil 4 from the list. And Halo definitely doesn't offer anything against other PC shooters, so I wouldn't bother with that. They are decent games, but you've missed so many that are much better. Or again, I'd put them on the 'B' list. Well actually RE4 belongs way way up there, but the PC port is pretty bad so I'd try playing that on the PS2 or Gamecube.

I don't know what C&C games you have played, but I really didn't like Generals, but C&C3 is excellent. Same with Hitman. Pretty good series overall, but not a whole lot of difference, so I would just play one or two from the series, presumably the best two are the second one (Silent Assassin) and the fourth one (Blood Money).

Here's my list of ones you should definitely play:

Half-life 2 + episodes
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Crysis
C&C 3
Company of Heroes
Oblivion
STALKER
One WW2 shooter ought to be enough, either COD2, MoH Airborne, or a Medal of Honor game if you don't mind older ones
Civilization 4 (turn-based strat)

You should also suggest what genres you are most interested in or what games you have really enjoyed. Also, whether you intend to play single player campaigns or multiplayer. Because for example, BF2 can be a ton of fun online, but is pointless to buy to play against bots. UT games have generally been excellent, but again it is mainly for multiplayer.

In addition to RE4, some are better on the console IMO. GTA San Andreas, Jade Empire, Fable, racing games in general, etc. Splinter Cell is generally awesome, but I like it on the Xbox more.

Oh, and just wanted to add that Crysis is phenomenal. I don't think I've enjoyed a FPS campaign as much as Crysis in a long time. I really really like HL2 and the episodes, but the freedom and variety offered by Crysis is huge.

if he's going to play 1 WW2 shooter, play CoD2. don't bother with Airborne

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: trinislacker
I wouldn't have to worry about online gaming seeing that my fastest internet connection would be below dial up

Would definitely consider Tiering the list

were there any newer good Age of Empires games?played age of mythology wasn't a have bad strategy game

AOE2 is great. didn't care for 3 that much, but then i wasn't really into its timeline and races either.

Dec 28, 2001
Titan Quest + Immortal Throne Expansion
Rise of Nations
Quake 4

edit:

Kohan II
Company of Heroes + Expansion
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War + Expansions

trinislacker

Jun 10, 2007
What about lord of the rings games..where do they rank

edit: is The Suffering a good port for the pc?..that game was wicked for ps2 what about part 2

and what about Jericho?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: trinislacker
What about lord of the rings games..where do they rank

edit: is The Suffering a good port for the pc?..that game was wicked for ps2 what about part 2

and what about Jericho?

which LOTR games?

some of the hack and slash ones were pretty crappy.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Putting together a new system for myself, I've played a number of these, but the rest are good possibilities!

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Titan Quest is an A List game IMO, you can buy the Gold Edition with the IT expansion included for $30, which makes this game every bit as good as Diablo 2 ever was, and probably better.

LintMan

Apr 19, 2001
You might be better off deciding what game genres you like best (perhaps sampling the best from each if you're unfamiliar), and then concentrating on those genres. Ie: do you like rail-based heavily scripted shooters like the Call of Duty stuff, or basically online-only multiplayer stuff like Unreal Tournament or the Battlefield stuff? You can end up with a list of a hundred games "worth checking out", but many might be a waste of your time. Six months sounds like a lot of time, but even if you only spend a week per game, that's just 24 games.

That said, some thoughts:
- I'd add Titan Quest and the Immortal Throne exp. to the A list and scratch the Diablo 1&2 games altogether.
- If you can find a copy of Star Control 2 that works on a modern PC, check it out; it's one of the best games ever, IMHO.
- I see the FEAR expansion on your list, but not FEAR itself. Probably worth playing FEAR first even if the expansion is stand-alone.
- Play the original Half-Life, if you haven't already.
- STALKER and Far Cry didn't do much for me: IMHO, B list at best
- The Warhammer: Dawn of War RTS and its sequels are definitely A-List
- Homeworld and its sequel are available cheap and worth checking out.
- Lego Star Wars II - cute and funny, console-ish
- Civilization IV, turn based strategy
- Heroes of Might and Magic III, turn based strategy
- Jade Empire, RPG
- X3: Reunion is really great as a "sandbox" game - I played it for quite a long time that way, but the main plot line absolutely stinks - don't expect much there.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
I get most of my games from GoGamer due to their 48 hour sales. Picked up a lot of software for under $10, like Fallout 1+2 for $4 and Planescape for $4. I also picked up the Unreal Anthology for $3. They have dirt cheap shipping that is around $3 for 2 items shipped so at those prices they are hard to beat. However they are not always the cheapest, so I also shop around at other vendors like Amazon, NewEgg, BestBuy, Frys, and CircuitCity.

I find that CircuitCity will sometimes have pretty low prices on some older games. Like you can pick up Freelancer for $10 there. If you like RPGs and want Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale I+II, + Baldur's GAte I+II get the Forgotten Realms package here for $50.00 I don't think you can find all those games together with their expansions for less.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Galactic Civilizations 2 is an absolute must have game if you liked or were even remotely interested in games like Master of Orion.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
wizardry 8
age of wonders shadow magic (turn base startegy game - much better than civ 4 - imho).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Galactic Civilizations 2 is the best of currently available space conquest games. If you can get your hands on a copy of Master of Orion 1 or 2 that would be even better.

Disciples 2 is an excellent strategy game, but its turn based, and most people reject it out of hand.
HOWEVER, most TBS's use REAL strategy and most so-called RTS's are really just click-fests or resource wars. The problem is you have to play a good turn based game to know the difference. Grognard games are an even more extreme example.

But Disciples 2 is one of those classic "easy to learn yet difficult to master" games. Awesome graphics and runs on any system.

Also, as an addendum to the above posts: The copy of Neverwinter Nights included with the Forgotten Realms mega-pack is the CD version and doesnt include everything.
The Diamond Edition of NWN has all the goodies and is on a DVD.
(But BG and IWD should keep you busy for about 400 hours anyway ;) )

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Wow.......Just let me say that I hope you don't have a girlfriend or wife because if you go through that list she is going to feel mighty neglected in the next few months/years