Great Danes

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I can't be the only Great Dane fanatic on the boards. Come out of hiding!

My family is on their fifth Dane at this point. It's really a shame they're so short-lived. Thought I'd share some photos. Gotta love the non-cropped ears.
Our last two were sisters:
Cairo
Athens

Our newest (I say "our" but she really belongs to my folks and my little sisters still at home.)
Odessa
Watching TV
This bed won't be king-sized to her for very long
Big ears!

Hopefully my husband and I will have a house with a yard sometime soon. I'd like to get two more Danes, but probably adults from the Dane rescue in our area.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Cute dog pics, OP! :)

This is our Pure American German Shepard dog Cilla. I think she's just about 2 years old, and recently had a litter of pups. They are a mix of German Shepard and Lab, cute little buggers!

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: jimbob200521
Cute dog pics, OP! :)

This is our Pure American German Shepard dog Cilla. I think she's just about 2 years old, and recently had a litter of pups. They are a mix of German Shepard and Lab, cute little buggers!

German Shepards rock! (Is it spelled shepherd or shepard?) Really cute dog. :)

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
I like them when they get older. The puppies (in the little experience I have had), seem to be a bit hyper. Yet, very good looking dogs.

Jun 19, 2004
My friend has two. They're awesome dogs. I took care of them for her for a week over Christmas holiday and they really bonded with my son and I. They both think they're lap dogs.

One, the female of the two has had a LOT of medical problems. I know she's spent close to $10,000 on her already.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The late, great Bogie the Rogue Yogi Dogie, the Hound of Renown, regally allowing himself to be sniffed by a lesser Dane.

He was 175 lbs., all muscle, and a true gentleman with an amazing presence.
rose.gif

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Perknose how old did Bogie live and when did he die? That picture looks from the shag-carpet era.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Flyback
Perknose how old did Bogie live and when did he die? That picture looks from the shag-carpet era.
1980-1987.
rose.gif

Seven and a half years. He got bone cancer. I had hardwood floors, no carpet, but, yes, there was a lot of shagging going on. ;)

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Flyback
1980-1987.
rose.gif

Seven and a half years. He got bone cancer. I had hardwood floors, no carpet, but, yes, there was a lot of shagging going on. ;)

Have any dogs since him?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
How long do they usually live?

We've never had one live past 8. I know some extremely old ones that made it to 12, but they tend to be pretty badly disabled by that point. 8 is about expected lifespan.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Cinnamon Girl, 1990-2006.
rose.gif

I "rescued" her in 1993. She was the first congregant dog to attend my church. She was made an official member last Spring, in her twilight. :thumbsup:

No pics on this laptop, I'll see later what I can rustle up.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
The Cinnamon Girl, 1990-2006.
rose.gif

I "rescued" her in 1993. She was the first congregant dog to attend my church. She was made an official member last Spring, in her twilight. :thumbsup:

No pics on this laptop, I'll see later what I can rustle up.

Odessa and Athens both attended our church. :) Dessa usually has to stay in the car til it's over, since she's a bit young to behave the whole way through right now.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
My next will be a dane. I have a pretty small house, and my Weim is enough for now. I have always wanted a dane though.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
My next will be a dane. I have a pretty small house, and my Weim is enough for now. I have always wanted a dane though.

Weims are good dogs too, super cool personalities. Pics? :D

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
My friend has two. They are too big and slobbery for my tastes. They just walk up to you and suddenly you got a dog spit shower.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Pic of Amos and myself

We were told Amos was part Great Dane and part BullMastiff. He looks much more the Bullmastiff part of his bastard heritage. He was the runt of the litter and topped out at 80lbs.

He is still my boy, going on 14 years old and has survived having his skull split by our other dog when he was a pup, and a major cancer operation. They removed a tumor the size of a grapefruit and 1 lobe off of his liver, that was a year ago. The vet gave him a very tiny chance of surviving the surgery due to his age and the size and location of the tumor.

He is doing well and is as lazy as ever, he sleeps about 20 hours out of the day. Lucky bastard :p