Graphics Overclocking Help

Jezzy

May 19, 2015
Hello everyone :thumbsup:

I'm pretty new on here, haven't posted before, so hello to one and all, I'm here to learn and hopefully be able to help new people to overclocking like myself one day.

I've been researching now for the past few months with regards to an overclocking problem I'm encountering wth my sli Titan Black setup.

I'm using MSI Afterburner, monitoring with GPUZ. I've also tried exactly the same procedure with EVGA Percision with the same results.

I've slowly began to overclock my Titans, I increased both core and memory clocks in small increments of 5, I unlocked the core in MSI Afterburner settings and placed the VCore on the main GUI to 106. No regardless of whatever overclocking MHz I use I consistently achieve worse FPS than that of the stock Titan's. In actual fact whilst leaving the Titan's at stock I still get very poor FPS with Unigine 4.0 at all settings with the program. The best FPS I've had is around 40/50, this is pretty bad right ?

I then tried to run a benchmark with Tombraider, both overclocked and stock, the results were equally as bad at Ultra settings within the game. My FPS were around 30 FPS.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here, this is the first overclock I've ever attempted so please excuse my ignorance.

A brief of my machine....

CPU = 4930k @ stock 3.9 'OEM' (watercooled)
MBOARD = Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (watercooled)
RAM = Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16gb (2x8) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
PSU = SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular 80 Plus
GRAPHICS = x2 MSI GeForce TITAN Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Watercooled)

The graphics are on a loop by themselves, temps (crysis 3/BF 4/Arma 3/GTA 5) @ ~40 Celsius.
CPU TEMP ~40-50 Celsius also under max settings
HDD = Samsung 250GB 840 Evo
Direct X 11
Graphics Driver = 356.86

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can offer, I'm totally lost here, it's obviously something I'm doing wrong but im just learning.

Jez

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
Oh boy, you are really wasting your rigs potential if it's watercooled and not heavily overclocked. Get that CPU overclocked first.

Sometimes seems to be badly wrong with your system if you get that bad framerates though. Check if Tomb Raider was running with V-sync on or if you have things like adaptive V-sync enabled. Try using Display Driver Uninstaller (google it) and reinstalling Nvidia's drivers.

There's really no need to increment core clocks in that small increments. I suggest looking for what kind of overclocks others are commonly getting with their Titans and try something a bit below that first. Then up it a bit and if you can game for an hour or two without artifacts or crashes then you're good. Try to get your highest overclocks without adding more voltage first.