Graphics memory, Windows, and total RAM interaction when gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Excellent news, Termie. Godspeed, can't wait for your results. I am equally as intrigued :thumbsup:

Looks like I needed a little divine intervention. EA's Origin has shut me out of Battlefield 4 due to a 24-hour hardware-based activation limitation.

Will be moving to a Steam-only game benchmark rotation for the next-gen cards...

Edit: Good news - uninstalling and reinstalling Origin got around the limitation.

Testing almost done, expect link to results later today!

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
21868573720453319390.jpg

I expect more games to be like that. Thanks Termie for the time. Very nice write-up :thumbsup:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Got some odd issues from time to time with GTA V.Windows will cache pretty much all of my 16gb ram till i got 0 free.GTA V then will glitch the hell out,frames will go all over and it just is a mess.GTA V executable uses not even 4gb when this happens.

Nothing but a reboot will fix this.I got a 2gb gtx660 but i swear this card honestly is just a 1.5gb card.Pushing 1.5gb is nearly impossible and then GTA V has frame rate issues if and when it does.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Would not rely on RotTR DX12 for any analysis as that patch is a poor example of how to get DX12 right.

DX11 was used in this test for that very reason. The results were nearly identical, however, under DX12.

21868573720453319390.jpg

I expect more games to be like that. Thanks Termie for the time. Very nice write-up :thumbsup:

Yes, I think we'll see more of this, and it may mean high-VRAM cards will be worth the premium.

Thanks, this was a great read. No need to worry about upgrading then.

Cheers!

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
The results are up, folks!

And to answer the OP's question, he's fine with 16GB!

How did you measure ram usage for the games you tested? I'm just curious as I didn't see it mentioned.

Also this is off topic but the fact the top banner thing scrolls with the page is annoying since it's taking up seemingly quite a lot of the page just to show me a menu button. Would be nice of it either didn't scroll or collapsed when you scroll.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
How did you measure ram usage for the games you tested? I'm just curious as I didn't see it mentioned.

Also this is off topic but the fact the top banner thing scrolls with the page is annoying since it's taking up seemingly quite a lot of the page just to show me a menu button. Would be nice of it either didn't scroll or collapsed when you scroll.

MSI Afterburner was running in the background to chart VRAM and RAM usage.

Thanks for the feedback on site design. I've actually heard that critique before. The floating menu definitely works better with high resolution screens. I'll discuss your suggestion with my web developer team.