Question Graphics driver i5-650 windows 10

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Hi all

I have just spent a couple of hours installing SSD's and a custom version of windows 10 (without access to updates) on 6 desktop pc's. They work fantastic with one small issue.............I can't find a driver the the Intel Graphics. It looks like Intel only supports 6th gen plus on Windows 10.

is their anything I can do? I don't need perfection, just a decent resolution for the desktop. If Intel never released drivers, is it somehow possible to install the Windows 7/8 ones?

I guess I could but graphics cards for them all, but that would be rather expensive.

Thanks in advance

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You can slipstream whichever updates you want into a windows 10 ISO. That way you can install offline and still get all the latest stuff.

Forgot to include a link to one of the numerous tutorials for doing it - https://www.itechtics.com/slipstream-windows-10-iso/

I agree with @VirtualLarry about Linux being a great alternative. Unless there is something you run that you can't run on Ubuntu, Mint, Pop!_OS, Rocky, or one of the plethora of other distros to choose from.

Reactions: Jimzz and Shmee

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Who's brilliant idea was that?

Should just go with Linux.

Hint: Windows Update is where you get half your drivers from.

I don't really want to throw them away as with an SSD they are actually more than fast enough to run a single chrome browser. Replacement would cost at least $2000 AUD as well.

I originally installed chrome Flex.......which worked great apart from it not recognising any of the usb drives I bought or own. Kinda made flex useless. I would consider linux but I have always had more issues with drivers etc and it always looks weird.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
You can slipstream whichever updates you want into a windows 10 ISO. That way you can install offline and still get all the latest stuff.

Forgot to include a link to one of the numerous tutorials for doing it - https://www.itechtics.com/slipstream-windows-10-iso/

I agree with @VirtualLarry about Linux being a great alternative. Unless there is something you run that you can't run on Ubuntu, Mint, Pop!_OS, Rocky, or one of the plethora of other distros to choose from.

Appreciate the link, I will have a look at it.

Maybe I bite the bullet and give a linux distro a go.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Reactions: maddogmcgee

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
...It looks like Intel only supports 6th gen plus on Windows 10.

is their anything I can do? I don't need perfection, just a decent resolution for the desktop. If Intel never released drivers, is it somehow possible to install the Windows 7/8 ones?

You just need to get the zip version, unpack, and install manually though device manager. Should work fine.

I think the lowest with built-in support in 10 is Sandy Bridge. Even if the included driver is ****, as it completely nukes OpenGL support.

Otherwise, as DAPUNISHER suggests, a Linux distribution would be a good choice. Also because those Nehalems will choke on Windows updates, even with SSDs.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Hi all

I have just spent a couple of hours installing SSD's and a custom version of windows 10 (without access to updates) on 6 desktop pc's. They work fantastic with one small issue.............I can't find a driver the the Intel Graphics. It looks like Intel only supports 6th gen plus on Windows 10.

I guess I could but graphics cards for them all, but that would be rather expensive.

Thanks in advance

Isn't there one supplied by Windows / Windows Update? I've been upgrading a fair few PCs to Windows 10, most of them Intel pre-6th gen and every one has had an Intel graphics driver supplied automatically. I've checked on plenty of occasions for a newer driver on the Intel site, but Intel are notorious for their limited (in terms of timeframe) driver support. As long as Device Manager identifies the graphics device as Intel HD whatever, it's good to go in my experience.

It's often possible to install pre-Win10 drivers on Win10, but with big-name OEM PC builds it's just as common for the graphics device to be detected as a non-standard Intel device and the Intel driver warns you to use the OEM's graphics driver.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Isn't there one supplied by Windows / Windows Update? I've been upgrading a fair few PCs to Windows 10, most of them Intel pre-6th gen and every one has had an Intel graphics driver supplied automatically. I've checked on plenty of occasions for a newer driver on the Intel site, but Intel are notorious for their limited (in terms of timeframe) driver support. As long as Device Manager identifies the graphics device as Intel HD whatever, it's good to go in my experience.

It's often possible to install pre-Win10 drivers on Win10, but with big-name OEM PC builds it's just as common for the graphics device to be detected as a non-standard Intel device and the Intel driver warns you to use the OEM's graphics driver.

I run a bunch of Haswell based AIO's with 8gb ram and they work great with windows 10. Because these only have 4gb, I downloaded a version of windows that removes most of the background processes and also removes automatic update access. I didn't think it would be a problem as none of the pc's will access anything that could cause any security issues. I didn't even consider the fact I might not be able to install a graphics driver. Maybe I haven't had anything as old with AMD, but I think they usually have a legacy driver you can download.

The default version of windows actually might be ok if I am just using a single tab in Chrome. It would have been a hell of a lot easier to try that to start with :cool:.

I am a bit wary of trying linux but will give it a go on a single computer. If not, there is windows 7 or 10 full version to try as well.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I downloaded a version of windows that removes ... automatic update access.

Why? The only reason why I've been selling Win10 upgrades to customers like hotcakes is because of security update support. It seems to me like you're trading virtually obsolete for virtually obsolete. If it wasn't for security updates, I'd still be running Win7.

I normally suggest 32-bit Windows for systems that can't handle >4GB RAM these days. IME it's pretty rare now to see such a system though, and normally I expect to find something else to throw another spanner in the works like a nvidia SATA chipset or something similarly problematic for SSD usage.

+1 The Linux suggestion as well.

Reactions: maddogmcgee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Why? The only reason why I've been selling Win10 upgrades to customers like hotcakes is because of security update support. It seems to me like you're trading virtually obsolete for virtually obsolete. If it wasn't for security updates, I'd still be running Win7.

I normally suggest 32-bit Windows for systems that can't handle >4GB RAM these days. IME it's pretty rare now to see such a system though, and normally I expect to find something else to throw another spanner in the works like a nvidia SATA chipset or something similarly problematic for SSD usage.

+1 The Linux suggestion as well.
I still have an old NF4 939 board, with an Athlon 4400+ X2 CPU and 3GB of DDR. It is running Lubuntu on a basic Crucial SSD, 128GB, doesn't really do anything, just a Linux project computer. The trick with systems that don't have an AHCI option in BIOS, such as this, is to set the controller to RAID mode, since RAID is a subset of AHCI. This should be a big improvement over running that SSD in IDE mode I suspect.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I still have an old NF4 939 board, with an Athlon 4400+ X2 CPU and 3GB of DDR. It is running Lubuntu on a basic Crucial SSD, 128GB, doesn't really do anything, just a Linux project computer. The trick with systems that don't have an AHCI option in BIOS, such as this, is to set the controller to RAID mode, since RAID is a subset of AHCI. This should be a big improvement over running that SSD in IDE mode I suspect.

I would have thought that setting RAID on a lot of older computers would have resulted in requiring a proprietary RAID driver and initialising RAID in some manner before installing the OS?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would have thought that setting RAID on a lot of older computers would have resulted in requiring a proprietary RAID driver and initialising RAID in some manner before installing the OS?
For Windows, sure, quite possibly. On something this old, a light Linux distro is much better, which is what I am using. Lubuntu 20.04 I think. Or maybe 18.04. But modern Linux pretty much just works fine with the hardware. You can even change the controller mode, and it will still boot, no problem! Even in Windows 10, you would have to load safemode first, possibly provide a driver of some sort if Windows doesn't find it, and then reboot again.