Graphics Card wont Display?

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
Hi I just bought a GeForce 1060 2 gb graphics card and it won't display when I plug into the monitor.

Specs:
X2 4gb ram(ballistic)
ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 2400 FM2 Motherboard FM2A58M-VG3+ R2.0
320 gb storage
Amd a10 7860k processor
450w power supply

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hi I just bought a GeForce 1060 2 gb graphics card and it won't display when I plug into the monitor.
No you didn't.

If it really has 2GB of VRAM, it's not a GTX 1060. It might be a GTX 660, however.

Did you buy the card off of ebay? Was it cheapest / cheaper than all other cards of that type? Sold from a seller from China? If so, you got hosed.

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
No you didn't.

If it really has 2GB of VRAM, it's not a GTX 1060. It might be a GTX 660, however.

Did you buy the card off of ebay? Was it cheapest / cheaper than all other cards of that type? Sold from a seller from China? If so, you got hosed.
im sorry i meant to say geforce gtx 1050 not 1060 and it was off amazon

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OK, so it was not purchased from a Chinese ebay seller, so the card is presumably legit.

(Unless the page you bought it from, or any stickers or any paperwork that came with the card, mention "192-bit". That's the sign of a doctored GTX 550ti, a "fake card".)

What output are you connecting the monitor to? If you plug the card in, and then plug the monitor into the back, and turn the PC on, do you get ANY display? POST? Blinking cursor?

Do you have a beep speaker, or a LED POST diag display (higher-end enthusiast boards sometimes have that)?

Do you get any beeps when you power on? Repeated groups of 7 beeps, may be VGA init issues.

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
OK, so it was not purchased from a Chinese ebay seller, so the card is presumably legit.

(Unless the page you bought it from, or any stickers or any paperwork that came with the card, mention "192-bit". That's the sign of a doctored GTX 550ti, a "fake card".)

What output are you connecting the monitor to? If you plug the card in, and then plug the monitor into the back, and turn the PC on, do you get ANY display? POST? Blinking cursor?

Do you have a beep speaker, or a LED POST diag display (higher-end enthusiast boards sometimes have that)?

Do you get any beeps when you power on? Repeated groups of 7 beeps, may be VGA init issues.
So the cord I use to connect the monitor and the graphics card is a vga cord. I have to use an hdmi to vga adapter because the card has no vga input. When I turn on the computer, there is absolutely no display and no sounds made by my computer. The computer sounds completely normal(as if my old graphics card was in). I don't know if I have a beep speaker, but if I do, I didn't hear anything. I don't have an LED POST diag display.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have to use an hdmi to vga adapter
Hmm. I've never tried those. This is not a passive DVI-I adapter to VGA, but an actual Active HDMI-to-VGA adapter? That should, in theory, work OK, connected to a VGA monitor. Not sure if practice bears that out, though.

Does your monitor have any inputs, that match a native output port type on the card? DVI or HDMI? DisplayPort? You might have better luck with a DisplayPort to VGA adapter dongle, too, rather than HDMI-to-VGA.

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
Hmm. I've never tried those. This is not a passive DVI-I adapter to VGA, but an actual Active HDMI-to-VGA adapter? That should, in theory, work OK, connected to a VGA monitor. Not sure if practice bears that out, though.

Does your monitor have any inputs, that match a native output port type on the card? DVI or HDMI? DisplayPort? You might have better luck with a DisplayPort to VGA adapter dongle, too, rather than HDMI-to-VGA.
So in theory it should be compatible with my motherboard? That was my first speculation because I didn't know. Also, when I type the command dxdiag it shows that my display is my amd processor at the moment.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Assuming that both the video card and the motherboard sport a PCI-Express x16 connector, it should be compatible, no problem. (*)

(*) Unless there are mainboard or VGA BIOS issues that keep it from working.

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
Assuming that both the video card and the motherboard sport a PCI-Express x16 connector, it should be compatible, no problem. (*)

(*) Unless there are mainboard or VGA BIOS issues that keep it from working.
How do I see if it is a PCI Express x16 Connector and how do I fix a VGA BIOS Issue?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wouldn't go worrying about a PCI-E or BIOS issue just yet.

You're using a converter-adapter, let's get the connection straightened out first.

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn't go worrying about a PCI-E or BIOS issue just yet.

You're using a converter-adapter, let's get the connection straightened out first.
Ok what do you suggest I do? I have an "ONN" HDMI to VGA adapter. The HDMI part of it connects to my graphics card and the VGA goes to my computer.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Try a newer monitor, one with a native connection that your video card supports, and plug it in directly.

If that's not available, try a different converter / adapter. I recommend a DisplayPort to VGA active adapter.

dashoopyz

Oct 4, 2017
Try a newer monitor, one with a native connection that your video card supports, and plug it in directly.

If that's not available, try a different converter / adapter. I recommend a DisplayPort to VGA active adapter.
The thing is that I've tried connecting my computer to my tv via an hdmi cord and it doesn't display either. Also, the adapter I'm using is a DisplayPort to vga active adapter.