Graphics Card That Supports 6 4K Monitors

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
I'm looking for a graphics card that can support 6 4K-resolution monitors on a new i3-8350K Coffee Lake machine. It won't be used for any games, just 2D desktop applications.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
A while ago AMD released a card called an HD5870 Eyefinity6, or somthing similar. If I remember correctly, it had 6 mini-DP outputs and 2gb VRAM. It might be enough to run your setup.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
As others said, there's several solutions out there for 4K@30Hz. For 4K@60Hz, you're going to need multiple cards. My recommendation in either case is the Matrox C680. It will do 6 displays at 4K@30Hz, or 3 displays at 4K@60Hz. If you're going for 60Hz, you can get 2 cards and get the small cable that framelocks the cards in a master/slave configuration without needing an external clock source, which is a super big deal if you're doing content that might need more than one screen. In either case, you get Matrox's PowerDesk software for multi-monitor support, which is much better than the built in stuff on both the Windows and Linux Side.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Wow, haven't heard that mentioned in quite some time. (since the mid-90s)

Haha, that's because they used to be one of the few solid options in the Business world. Before having 4 monitors on a graphics card was just something you expected, you had 1 video output, maybe 2 if you were cool. In those cases, products like Dual and Triplehead2go were essential in getting multiple monitors on things like your Mobile Workstation. Nowadays, they play mostly to high end markets. They are still extremely solid options for multi-display and multi-gpu solutions that are supported for years. Like I mentioned in my previous post, Matrox is probably the most affordable option if you're doing video over 4x3 digital signage (12 monitors with frame locking).

Their PowerDesk software continues to get better and supports most Windows and Linux distros. It properly handles monitors with different resolutions, different aspect ratios, different pivot angles, or any combination. It handles bezel size management. You can group certain displays to stretch content while leaving others independent. You can partition displays or displaygroups to create sub-displays on them. You can emulate / clone / or replace EDID on monitors (and monitor partitions) to ensure they're treated consistently by the OS even if they're not the same. Like I mentioned, there's lots of ways to get multiple high-res displays, and at the end of the day, a Matrox Card is just an old AMD FirePro Card. It's the PowerDesk and genlock features that make a matrox card one of the definitive choices for multi-display workstations.

And besides, they still have a suite of 4K and even 8K encoder and decoder systems. :) They may not have the broad advertising of some of the other players, but in the Enterprise space, Matrox is still very much relevant.

My curiosity is what they plan to do now with no Polaris version of the FirePro W600 being announced. Currently, the WX series only supports 6 displays on the WX 9100 model, which is too large and unnecessary for display wall applications. Granted NVIDIA isn't bleeding edge given the NVS 810 is an old Maxwell Card, but that's still several years newer than the W600.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe something like this? $241 at Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129274

Visiontek Radeon HD 7750 2GB GDDR5 6M (6 x Mini DP), 900614

edit - N/M. It appears to support up to WQXGA (2560x1600), not 4K (3840x2160). Although the documentation for the card says:

"The ATI Radeon HD 7750 Series GPUs can upscale video display to 2560x1600 on six monitors with ATI Eyefinity technology which is almost six times the display resolution of 1080p display"

So I don't know if that's 2560x1600 per monitor or an Eyefinity wall display of 2560x1600.

Another, albeit expensive option, would be the AMD FirePro W9100. It can do six 4K displays at 30Hz or three 4K displays at 60Hz.

Last edited: