Graphics card replacement problem

TheBiggmann

Aug 9, 2006
Hey,

I Just ordered an MSI Radeon 5750 to replace my presumably dying Nvidia 7800GT. When I go to replace the cards though, it should be as simple as plug and play right? However, when I hook up the new card and boot up the computer, I get no signal to my monitor, through VGA or DVI. I tried leaving the old card in and putting the new card in the second PCIE slot and installing the drivers first, but that was no good either. I completely uninstalled the old card, put the new card in the x16 slot with the drivers installed, and still get nothing. As far as I know my system should be compatible, but maybe I'm missing something.

MOBO: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
2 GB ram
AMD Athlon X2 4200 (I think)

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, and this has been driving me nuts for almost an hour. I'm about to go on a rampage. Someone please help me out here. :\

Edit: Running on Windows XP as well.

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
If you don't see the BIOS POST screen then could be a problem with power either psu or motherboard wise. Possibly a setting was changed in BIOS for where it looks for video signal as well.

TheBiggmann

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah I literally see nothing. The monitor light just blinks if I plug it into DVI or if I plug it into VGA it just acts like its not even plugged into a computer. What should I be looking for in the BIOS? I can throw the old card in the x16 slot and plug the monitor in even with the drivers uninstalled and it works fine, but I get nothing on the new card. I wouldnt think power supply would be an issue unless mine is going bad, I have a Fortron AX450-PN PSU. Does that card draw THAT much more power than the 7800gt+Zalman aftermarket fan?

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
Sorry about that I misread your OP I thought when you put back the old card it didn't work either. Is it possible that the card is defective. I would try the BIOS update first like medium suggested and then install the card if you still can't get a POST screen I'd say the card is defective unless you know it works on a different system.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Yeah I literally see nothing. The monitor light just blinks if I plug it into DVI or if I plug it into VGA it just acts like its not even plugged into a computer. What should I be looking for in the BIOS? I can throw the old card in the x16 slot and plug the monitor in even with the drivers uninstalled and it works fine, but I get nothing on the new card. I wouldnt think power supply would be an issue unless mine is going bad, I have a Fortron AX450-PN PSU. Does that card draw THAT much more power than the 7800gt+Zalman aftermarket fan?

Do you have the pci-e power connector connected?
Did you use driver sweeper to get rid of old nvidia drivers first?
Did you make sure you bios is up to date?
Did you make sure you chipset drivers are the latest?

Your psu is enough to run a 5750.

If you tried all of this and your card does not post, it could be 2 things, your motherboard dosen't like the 5750 or the card is bad.

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
You can easily remove the drivers options from medium since you don't even get a post screen. Which leaves you with a power issue BIOS incompatibility or bad GPU.

TheBiggmann

Aug 9, 2006
So i tried updating the BIOS using the ASUS Updater since thats the only way I know and got an error saying Failed to verify EEPROM with new BIOS image. Any idea why this is?

TheBiggmann

Aug 9, 2006
Hm. Apparently the version is there, but when I load (with the old card OR the new card which is an improvement) I get the POST screen with an error that says
Warning: System BOOT fail
Your system last boot fail or POST interrupted. please enter setup to load default and reboot agian.

TheBiggmann

Aug 9, 2006
Sorry if I'm seeming like an idiot haha. How do I go about loading one without the Updater? I have two of them stored on my flash drive and I was messing around in the BIOS screen and found the EZ Flash 2 thing, but when I go into it the BIOS that I have saved on there, 5001 and 1700 I think, whatever the two most recent ones are, don't show up. I'm not sure if that's because they are saved as Zip files or what. Maybe if I unzip them and resave them? Is using that the best way to do it or will that probably just do the same thing the Updater is doing? If there's another way I should be trying it please let me know haha.

Edit: I unzipped the BIOS file and installed 5001 through the EZ Flash2 option within the BIOS and now have nothing. With either card. Although it would seem that the old card somehow fried, because the fan won't even spin on it. The new one it spins but I still get the blank screen. Can I go back and restore the BIOS somehow, or am I royally screwed?

Last edited: