Graphics card help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
You reckon this gpu could be broke aswell?

It's extremely unlikely that you got two cards broken with the exact same problem. It's much more likely that there's a problem with the motherboard. The fact that you got a new card rules the card out almost completely.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
well the 570 i had one day it crashed and froze my pc, and when i rebooted it, it was in a low resolution. I went into device manager and it said error 42. Due to this i tried everything different pcie slots, different drivers but nothing worked. So i sent it off to the manufactuer where they have to test it to send me a new one. They sent me back a "b grade" 670. This means its most likely refurbished. When i got the card it had some sticky residue blotches on top of the card. So i plugged it in and it had a black border around the display. In device manager it noticed it was a 670 so i installed the drivers, rebooted and it kept rebooting itself after starting windows. I installed the drives in safe mode and it no longer knows theres a 670 in here and when i manage to get on my pc with the drivers installed the nvidia control panel says no nividia gpu is detected.

Once again i tried the different pcie slots and reinstalling windows and upgrading the bios but with no luck, now im running onboard graphics and everything works great.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
It's extremely unlikely that you got two cards broken with the exact same problem. It's much more likely that there's a problem with the motherboard. The fact that you got a new card rules the card out almost completely.

Its not a new card its "refurbished" i think, it has some sticky blotches on top of the board of the card (looks like coke spilt on it or something).

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
well the 570 i had one day it crashed and froze my pc, and when i rebooted it, it was in a low resolution. I went into device manager and it said error 42. Due to this i tried everything different pcie slots, different drivers but nothing worked. So i sent it off to the manufactuer where they have to test it to send me a new one. They sent me back a "b grade" 670. This means its most likely refurbished. When i got the card it had some sticky residue blotches on top of the card. So i plugged it in and it had a black border around the display. In device manager it noticed it was a 670 so i installed the drivers, rebooted and it kept rebooting itself after starting windows. I installed the drives in safe mode and it no longer knows theres a 670 in here and when i manage to get on my pc with the drivers installed the nvidia control panel says no nividia gpu is detected.

Once again i tried the different pcie slots and reinstalling windows and upgrading the bios but with no luck, now im running onboard graphics and everything works great.

The bolded part sounds like you have a motherboard problem, which is why I had originally asked if your MB bios was up to date.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
The bolded part sounds like you have a motherboard problem, which is why I had originally asked if your MB bios was up to date.

hm what could be wrong with the motherboard though? and this only occurs when the drivers are installed, no other time. and it actually stopped doing that after a while

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
If you're really convinced that it's the graphics card, call them to send it back. Otherdise, wait until you can test it on a different board.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
If you're really convinced that it's the graphics card, call them to send it back. Otherdise, wait until you can test it on a different board.

Yeah ive sent them a problem and until then ill try it on a different motherboard but not until a couple of days. Is there any peice of software which tests your motherboard or something?